SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    I must be missing something
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I must be missing something Login/Join 
Picture of spunk639
posted
I'm at a friends gun shop in NH the other day prior to hitting the range with my P228, friend who owns the shop is all in on the 320. We head to the range and I just don't get what the 320 does better than my 228, other than striker firing and frame changing. The 228 fits my hand and the middle size 320 is about the same size, 15 round mec-gars work like a charm so capacity isn't it. I'm just wondering if I'm becoming a dinosaur or the hype of the 320 hasn't found me yet.

Posts: 2774 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I particularly don’t think the 320 is anything to write home about. I have owned a few. I think the bigger questions is striker fired vs traditional DA/SA. For everyday carry I probably wouldn’t chose a 320 over a 228 but I would take a G19 over a 228. To each their own.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Striker-fired for consistent trigger pull

No external safeties or decocking levers for ease of use

Polymer frame for lighter weight

Interchangeable grip modules for modularity/customizability

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well you are comparing a legend of a pistol to a run of the mill striker pistol.

Posts: 1178 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spunk, you are not missing anything. It is cool to have the striker-fired P320. I have 3. But there is nothing more reliable, more accurate, with less felt recoil than the feel of an all metal, hammer fired P228 (229, 220, etc) in your hand, defending you and your loved ones or at the range, shooting paper.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only thing it seems you might be missing is an open mind. Your 228 is a fantastic pistol and I would say one of the best ever but there are some subjective advantages to pistols such as the p320 or glock.

Simplicity of function is one advantage. A few years back I was gifting a pistol to my mom and took her to the range to try out my p226, g19, g17 and a 92fs. As a new shooter the glocks were the easiest for her. The da/sa triggers were more difficult to learn and the long 1st trigger pull was difficult for her due to her smaller weaker hands. The extra controls were simply more stuff to learn. She walked away with my g17, still shoot regularly with it and has taking a few shooting classes with it.
The other advantage is the modularity of the p320. I have a p320 carry and can choose to have a full size grip with 17rnd mags in the winter then move to a subcompact grip in the summer when I'm wearing a t-shirt.

Now with all that said, as a more experienced shooter, if you laid out a p228 and a p320 on a table at the same price and I had to carry one for the rest of my life. I'd pick the 228 without hesitation. The extra controls don't bother me a bit and it's got a well proven track record. It's also a more attractive pistol even though I don't put aesthetics at a top priority.
Unfortunately price is an issue for me so as a daily carry gun, I go with glocks or my p320.

Posts: 2753 | Registered: March 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
amc, The reasons your Mom picked a Glock are some of the same reasons so much of law enforcement has gone to striker fired pistols. Whether a new recruit who has never fired a gun, or an officer transitioning from anther type of handgun, the striker fired guns are less complicated to learn. Of course, that equates to less time/money spent on employees learning the new pistol. The fact that the striker fired guns are usually less expensive than traditional metal framed guns of similar quality, is not lost on those who control the budget. I do get it about the striker fired polymer framed guns, but I'll still take the P228Wink

NRA Life

Posts: 1564 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I've handled the 320, it's a fine weapon. I sure do like my steyr M357-A1 a lot.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rappa
posted Hide Post
P228 is my all time favorite handgun, I have 2 (circa 90's). Took me a lot of practice to learn to shoot it well. I also have a Glock 19 Gen 2. It took me less practice to shoot it well. All 3 guns still run 100%!

After fondling the P320 and finding a couple of decent deals, I have 2 coming (compact and compact RX, both post 'upgrade' production). I'm impressed by the trigger, ergos, how the non RX feels IWB and I'm intrigued about entering the world of RDS pistols, thus the RX.

If the non RX 320 proves to be as solid as my Glock 19 or P228, then it's a win for me! I don't think I'm missing anything if it doesn't work out as much as I'm adding something to my armory if it does. If I hate it, I'll sell it and go back to Glock and 228 and business as usual. The RX I'll keep cos I really want to learn how to shoot with an RDS! Smile

However, assuming SIG reliability is same as I've experienced with any of classics I've owned\own, then it's all good. I feel better about replacing a plastic $450 gun then a classic metal gun, if it should be taken for evidence, broken, stolen, blah, blah, blah.

Also, all of my newbie friends that I introduce to shooting feel more comfortable with striker fired. I introduce them with the Glock, then let them try my 228, 225, CZ75 compact and 3913. Everyone LOVES how the 225 feels, but don't like the DA. Then I take them to a shop to handle any gun they fancy. Most of them end up with an MP, XD or Glock. I don't ever suggest a DA\SA for them 'cos of the learning curve and generally Average Joe isn't going to practice once a week or even once a month, so striker fired it is.

What it comes down to for me is they're tools, but...my 228s are really, nice, somewhat rare, collectible tools that are tougher to replace than the 320. Both will do the job they're built for, but one I have to scour the ends of the earth to find a deal and the other I can find at every LGS in the country.

Posts: 268 | Location: Florida USA | Registered: December 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
The P228 was my go to carry Sig, then I took up the P225. The decrease in capacity was eclipsed for me in all other aspects of how the pistol performed for me.

When the P320c became available, I was optimistic but skeptical. It works for me, and that's a great thing, because it's MA approved, and I'm confident with our dumb 10rnd restriction that I can get the job done.

Here is the thing.

Don't ignore innovation or knew options. Give them a try. If they work for you, great. If not, stick with what works for you.

Firearms are legion because peoples needs are.

You are not undergunned by sticking with a P228. If the P320 doesn't suit you, so what.

If it didn't work for me, I'd state as much, but I wouldn't go out of my way to take a dump on the platform either. I think folks too easily forget that we're all different in a lot of ways, as well as how we shoot.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 00464b
posted Hide Post
Had 2 P320's. After 4 years of trying to embrace striker fired, went back to DA/SA. Just a better system IMHO.

Posts: 658 | Location: SE Wisconsin | Registered: July 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me it was putting it to a timer. The first shot with the P320 was faster, every time, than my P229.

Then I factored in that the P229 is right between the Compact and Carry. So for the same basic size, I got 2 more rounds, 1/2 pound lighter, cheaper, faster first shot, and the same follow-ups. I lose the grip options, but it's not like I ever changed once I found what I liked.

But if it doesn't do it for you, there's nothing wrong with that. It took me a long time to buy into polymer striker fired. Went through several that didn't mesh with me great. Almost gave up. And still have more "emotional attachment" to my P229 than the P320. I really miss the hammer when I'm holstering. I actually wanted to be better with the P229 than the P320. I just wasn't. And I know you're talking about the P228; I prefer my P229 to the P228.

But I don't think you're wrong at all.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
Weight. That’s why I own 2 now. No P320 will ever be half the weapon my M11A-1 is. I carry IWB all day in slacks and a polo. My M11-A1 kills my back all day and even with suspenders, I’m still pulling my shit up all day.

Not so with my P320. Especially with my SC.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Easier gun to make, better profit margin.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Easier gun to make, better profit margin.

Bingo. At least for the gun companies it's their reality. It should result in lower priced guns to the consumer as well, which generally is the case. The base 320F certainly is easier on the wallet than a bare bones P226.

It can also be argued that the 320s like all other striker guns dumb down the operational learning curve, conversely allowing the user in theory to become proficient faster. A simpler manual of arms to become skilled with than it is with a two part trigger system, or a SAO gun that mandates a thumb safety. Again in theory with a gun design that's simpler in construction and assembly (though I don't particularly think that the 320 trigger group is all that simple, either in design or its disassembly/reassembly).

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Don't overthink it and carry the gun that works best for you.

Your choice isn't right for everyone and it isn't wrong if it isn't popular. I carry a G19. Ideally I would carry a 1911 but realistically the G19 is what is best for me, no matter how much I wish it was not true.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a 228 that was DAO, original from the factory. Not DAK, but DAO.
It had a consistent trigger pull for each shot, obviously. I liked it OK. Shot it OK. It was OK. But I converted it to DA/SA. I like that a lot more. Never understood the problems so many people have "transitioning" from the first DA shot to the subsequent SA shots. I think people are either overthinking this stuff or going for some unnecessary level of marksmanship precision that is not really applicable for the self-defense use of firearms. Whatever.

I don't understand the polymer guns being considered to weigh less than the aluminum frame guns. Take the slide off a 228. That frame is really, really light. I don't see how making it out of polymer saves any noticeable weight. The frame of a 228 is like paper light. You can pick it up and wave it around, it is like holding a piece of paper. So, I don't get the whole "polymer = lighter frame" thing.

Posts: 695 | Registered: June 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by valleyforge.1777:
I don't understand the polymer guns being considered to weigh less than the aluminum frame guns.

P228 = 29.1 ounces with unloaded magazine

P320 Compact = 25.8 ounces with unloaded magazine

That's 11% lighter. A bit over 1/5th of a pound lighter.

The slides and magazines are basically the same. The weight savings comes from the frame/grip module material.

The P229 is even heavier at 34.4 ounces. The P320 Compact is over half a pound lighter than the P229.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogueJSK,

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
If you have a P228 and like it, there's no reason to change.

But the P320 is lighter, more flexible (the whole modular thing), and doesn't have the DA to SA transition (which some people are fine with, but a lot seem to hate.)

And, also, the P228 is discontinued. But, as we all know. the nearly identical P229 is still available for now if you want a new one. But it's significantly more expensive (Edit: I just checked list prices, the base P229 is $400 more than the P320.)

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The weight difference isn't made up. Let's look at the SP2022 and P229. The SP2022 is slightly larger than the P229, yet it weighs 29oz compared to 34.4oz. 5.4oz doesn't sound like much, but it's 15% weight savings.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post