SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Smith 915?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smith 915? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Much appreciated Rogue. I will wait to make any decisions til I've ha it to the range.
I have a 659 that looks a lot like that first pic...

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The S&W 915 is an outstanding pistol with the exception of the pre-Novak style rear sight. The Trijicon SA04 will literally transform the pistol. I have owned two 915s and neither came with any plastic parts.

Posts: 81 | Registered: September 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I had the 915's brother in 40 SW, (forget the model#), even being a economical version, it was really nice, and even being a large pistol, was easy to conceal.

I put a set of arched SW factory grips on it, a factory 2 dot rear sight, and a spurless hammer on mine. Mine was flawless and very accurate, and mild recoil even with the 40 SW.

Later, SW dropped the 915 , making the 910, which was not as asthetic in my opinion.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried to buy it some roommates last night, but no dice.
I will look into the Trijicon that was mentioned above as well.

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ad says early to mid 90s production, so I may luck out and get Novaks even though the stock photos are of the earlier style sights. Does anybody make replacements that aren't night sights? Preferably black rear and black or fiber front.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
I had the 915's brother in 40 SW, (forget the model#)

S&W 411

Posts: 32485 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
I had the 915's brother in 40 SW, (forget the model#)

S&W 411

Thank you. I had fogotten.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The Value Line models followed a certain naming scheme: caliber and capacity.

915 was 9mm with 15 round magazines
910 was 9mm with 10 round magazines
908 was 9mm with 8 round single stack magazines
411 was .4(0) with 11 round magazines
410 was .4(0) with 10 round magazines
457 was .45 with 7 round magazines

Posts: 32485 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That 457 is a nifty little piece. I have one that was a deputy's back up or off duty gun. Carried a lot, but in good shape. Little snappy, but accurate enough for me at the ranges I would be using a short barrel .45. Mags ain't cheap though. Yeesh...

posted Hide Post
I'm looking at a nice 910 locally - but folks on SW Forum said to stay away from 910's. The 915 looks better (below - less plastic) but the mag release situation sounds pesky ...

Posts: 424 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the later 910 and 410 Value Line models were cruder than their pre-ban brethren.

I'd definitely take a 915 over a 910.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeoJelly:
I'm looking at a nice 910 locally - but folks on SW Forum said to stay away from 910's. The 915 looks better (below - less plastic) but the mag release situation sounds pesky ...

According to the S&W parts list, the 915 and 5904 share the same magazine catch parts - no plastic-

107680000 MAGAZINE CATCH (RH)
902060000 MAGAZINE CATCH NUT - BLUE
068290001 MAGAZINE CATCH PLUNGER
105790000 MAGAZINE CATCH SPRING

The 910 has different part numbers and no plunger -

239160000 MAGAZINE CATCH
239090000 MAGAZINE CATCH NUT
239010000 MAGAZINE CATCH SPRING

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
The plastic magazine release mechanism and button parts are apparently no longer readily available. Mine is either broken or worn out, and doesn't reliably retain a loaded magazine when the pistol is fired.

The plastic magazine catches and nuts are currently available from both Brownells and Midway.
I have read that at some point the plastic mag catch may have been changed to an MIM part for the reasons you describe.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Yeah, the later 910 and 410 Value Line models were cruder than their pre-ban brethren.

I'd definitely take a 915 over a 910.

That was the motivating factor for my 915 purchase back when; the upcoming ban. Later I tried the 908 and 457, couldn't get them to run reliably...traded them.

Posts: 3210 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbethel:
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
The plastic magazine release mechanism and button parts are apparently no longer readily available. Mine is either broken or worn out, and doesn't reliably retain a loaded magazine when the pistol is fired.

The plastic magazine catches and nuts are currently available from both Brownells and Midway.
I have read that at some point the plastic mag catch may have been changed to an MIM part for the reasons you describe.

Thanks.

Posts: 26891 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoverSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Smith 915?

An "economy" version of the Third Generation. Its equivalent in that line would be the 5904. Less fine finishing, a SIG-like barrel lockup (square chamber shoulder instead of two locking lugs, so the slide is more "blocky" instead of round-topped) and some plastic parts. With the two magazines and original packaging, that is a, if not spectacular, decent price.

No - you are thinking of the 910. The 915 has the same barrel and locking system as the 5906... See GeoJelly's post, above. The 915 does not have a plastic magazine button.

It does, however, have a slightly unusual (compared to other late 3rd Gens) rear sight. I sent my 915 to Novaks in WVA last year and they installed a classic (standard) Novak sight, by re-cutting the dovetail, for a very reasonable price.

Mine is an excellent, quality gun. Many people like them because they are robust like the 5906 but, having an aluminum frame like a classic Sig P-series, they are lighter than the 5906.

FYI, a bunch of them (trade-ins from Israeli police, I think) recently hit one of the major auction web sites and you can still find some there. But most of those have a fair amount of external wear.

Posts: 1597 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: June 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post