SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Question on Massachusetts magazine ban/law
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question on Massachusetts magazine ban/law Login/Join 
posted
Those of you who live in Massachusetts can pre-ban mags be shipped into the state? I thought it was like CA where they had to be in the state prior to the ban/law taking affect. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 1218 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Yes. Buyer needs a LTC-A. Up to you if you think you need to ask them for an image of it.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3445 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The magazine needs to be in the State prior to the ban. Very little enforcement on this as it's almost impossible to prove.
Q. When and where did you obtain the magazine.
A. Idk, I've had it for twenty five years.

Make sure it's a magazine that was around prior to 1994.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
It is perfectly ok to purchase pre-ban mags from out of state and also from licensed gun dealers. Local FFLs sell pre-ban mags to the public when they have them. Anything before Sept. 1994 is good to buy.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2406 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
The law says that the magazine had to be in the state prior to 94. This is impossible to prove, but a key distinction from "any mag made before 1994 is OK."

As long as the person you're shipping to in MA has an LTC-A, that is what is important. They would already be in deep shit for some other crime before someone is paying attention to their magazines.

People who have LTC-B and lesser permits, may not possess high capacity magazines in MA.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, as long as the buyer has a class A license for high capacity. Local stores sell pre ban mags all the time

Posts: 186 | Registered: April 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Dumb question, but, what (if anything) counts as a "replacement part"?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tread carefully as possession of a high capacity magazine in Massachusetts is a ten year felony.

"Chapter 140: Section 131M. Assault weapon or large capacity feeding device not lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994; sale, transfer or possession; punishment

"Section 131M. No person shall sell, offer for sale, transfer or possess an assault weapon or a large capacity feeding device that was not otherwise lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994. Whoever not being licensed under the provisions of section 122 violates the provisions of this section shall be punished, for a first offense, by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $10,000 or by imprisonment for not less than one year nor more than ten years, or by both such fine and imprisonment, and for a second offense, by a fine of not less than $5,000 nor more than $15,000 or by imprisonment for not less than five years nor more than 15 years, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10round:
Tread carefully as possession of a high capacity magazine in Massachusetts is a ten year felony.

"Chapter 140: Section 131M. Assault weapon or large capacity feeding device not lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994; sale, transfer or possession; punishment

"Section 131M. No person shall sell, offer for sale, transfer or possess an assault weapon or a large capacity feeding device that was not otherwise lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994. Whoever not being licensed under the provisions of section 122 violates the provisions of this section shall be punished, for a first offense, by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $10,000 or by imprisonment for not less than one year nor more than ten years, or by both such fine and imprisonment, and for a second offense, by a fine of not less than $5,000 nor more than $15,000 or by imprisonment for not less than five years nor more than 15 years, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

Hey, let's not be overly dramatic, and also, please let people who live here in MA answer the question. The OP is asking about shipping, not possession. I already laid out what the actual law says, and there is the reality of what happens every day.

Guys, can we work to give people the correct answer to questions like these? If you aren't living in the locale asked about, please just move on from gun law threads like this.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
FWIW,

I have sold a pile of mags to MA residents,

I am in VA,

I simply ask for a copy (scanned and emailed) of the Class A permit, and each and every one of the MA residents have provided it,
quickly, easily, and with out delay

I have a file folder I put them in case I ever need them,
so far, I have not

never been an issue, at least not for me

hope that helps

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you all. I appreciate the info.

Posts: 1218 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post