SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig P320 RX Problems
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig P320 RX Problems Login/Join 
posted
So, I bought a Sig P320 RX about nine months ago, great deal from cabelas; I have about 300 rounds through it. Here’s the list of issues in increasing order of importance:
1. The Romeo 1 was supposed to be sighted in at the factory, poppycock. It was barely on the paper at 7 yards. No biggie, adjusted and it held zero. Very accurate.
2. The take down lever is tight as a tick; I needed to use the eraser end of a pencil to push it to get it to rotate. It took all my strength to do it. It’s lightened up some but not much.
3. I have never been able to remove the fire control module from the frame, despite all the tips, tricks and YouTube videos I can watch. I’m no newbie at this stuff, it simply appears stuck.
4. This is the killer; the Romeo 1 optic died while it was sitting in my nightstand safe. I changed the batteries, and per The Mother Ship, adjusted the torque on the hex nuts holding the unit on the slide to 28 in/lb. Also used the slot screwdriver in my gunsmith set to tighten the battery cap. Still inoperative.

Folks, I’ve been shooting Sigs for almost 20 years and this is the first total POS I’ve ever purchased from them. Once it’s fixed, it’s getting sold. I’m sticking with my tried and true P226 Tac Ops with about 4000 rounds though it. Very unimpressed. I hope the M17 for our troops behaves better than this dog with fleas...

Posts: 36 | Registered: November 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by utex1988:
So, I bought a Sig P320 RX about nine months ago, great deal from cabelas; I have about 300 rounds through it. Here’s the list of issues in increasing order of importance:
1. The Romeo 1 was supposed to be sighted in at the factory, poppycock. It was barely on the paper at 7 yards. No biggie, adjusted and it held zero. Very accurate.
2. The take down lever is tight as a tick; I needed to use the eraser end of a pencil to push it to get it to rotate. It took all my strength to do it. It’s lightened up some but not much.
3. I have never been able to remove the fire control module from the frame, despite all the tips, tricks and YouTube videos I can watch. I’m no newbie at this stuff, it simply appears stuck.
4. This is the killer; the Romeo 1 optic died while it was sitting in my nightstand safe. I changed the batteries, and per The Mother Ship, adjusted the torque on the hex nuts holding the unit on the slide to 28 in/lb. Also used the slot screwdriver in my gunsmith set to tighten the battery cap. Still inoperative.

Folks, I’ve been shooting Sigs for almost 20 years and this is the first total POS I’ve ever purchased from them. Once it’s fixed, it’s getting sold. I’m sticking with my tried and true P226 Tac Ops with about 4000 rounds though it. Very unimpressed. I hope the M17 for our troops behaves better than this dog with fleas...

The optic is “centered” from the factory. Zeroing needs to be done by the user.
Try wiggling the tip of the recoil rod while rotating the takedown lever. It makes a world of difference on mine.
My Romeo kills batteries too.
Sent the slide to LM Machining and he milled it to use the RMR bolt pattern. $70 or so labor and shipping, and have a better optic on it.
Options, if you choose to keep it.

Posts: 181 | Location: NEPA | Registered: March 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Can you show a cite where the Romeo is supposed to be “sighted in” specifically for you?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I understand your frustration, i hate when a new purchase does not work the way I expect. But have you let someone that knows the P320 line and the Romeo1 well take a look at it? The P320 is very different from a classic P series gun and I have seen "broken" Romeo1's and it was just lack of knowledge of the system.

I currently have 5 P320's with 3 of them running Romeo1's and 2 P226's running Romeo1's. 2 of the P320's and both P226's have many thousands of rounds through them each. My full size RX was one of the the first all black RX's from the factory (Sep 2016) and it has never given me 1 issue and in that time I have only had to change the battery once. Now none of the RX's are a CCW so they are not running daily.

Here are some tips, buy another battery to rule out getting a dud. Ensure the cap is tightly screwed on, not cross threaded. Next when trying to power the R1 up hold just the down arrow in for 5 seconds and then release, if that does not work hold it in for 10 seconds.

For the FCU, make sure you oil the o-ring on the take down lever when you remove it. It will make it easier to twist in the future. When you are attempting to remove the FCU, ensure the take down lever is taken out of the frame and the push up through the trigger and lift up on the front rails at the same time. Do not lift up from the back of the FCU, it is under a ledge and needs to be lifted up from the front. If that doesn't work soak the frame/FCU with CLP to ensure there is not any dried packing grease between the fram and FCU.

Posts: 550 | Location: Texas | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jljones, from the Sig website: Featuring SIG SAUER's exclusive slide-mounted optic, the ROMEO1, the RX will ensure faster sight acquisition on target. Simply put, it will make a good shooter a great shooter. Shoot confidently with faster target acquisition and improved accuracy. Installed. Zeroed. And backed by the quality of the SIG name. https://www.sigsauer.com/store/p320-rx-full-size.html

Thanks for the suggestions; I’ve tried two separate new batteries, it didn’t make a difference. I was careful about not cross threading the battery cap.

Factor8, great things to try, I’ll let y’all know how it goes. Great forum, I appreciate the help!

posted Hide Post
Factor8, holding it down for 10 seconds worked! Thank you SO much!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by utex1988:
Factor8, holding it down for 10 seconds worked! Thank you SO much!

Glad I could help. Thanks for giving an update. I hope everything else works out for you.

That is crazy that Sig is advertising that the RX's come zeroed. I have had to adjust everyone of mine. It does not take long, I just use the iron sights as a guide and then fine tune it at the range. 30-50 shots and it is good to go.

Posts: 550 | Location: Texas | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I can't help with the RX questions, as I don't have one, but in my experience any optic I've ever owned I've had to zero to me...it's not really something that the factory can do for you out of the box.

As to the takedown, every P320 I've handled (and that's quite a few) has a stiff takedown pin out of the box. You do have to fight with it the first 10 times or so, but it will loosten up with use (although after it gets to a certain point, it stops getting loser. Mine has been apart hundreds of times, and while it's not difficult to remove, it's not loose or sloppy). The pencil eraser is a good trick...I've even had to use a punch once. Normally I can get the new ones out by rotating the lever down, grabbing it with two fingers of my left hand and wiggling while I push on the back of it with my right thumb. As noted, oiling the o-ring will help some too.

As to removing the FCU from the frame, grab the front frame rails and pull up and forward. These can be a bit stiff when new, too, but after a few hundred rounds and several dissasemblies, it will slide in and out pretty easily. It won't be loose, but you won't have to fight with it, either.

From the sound of things, I don't think you have a defective gun...you're just dealing with some familiarization issues with the new platform. Don't give up on it...it's a good gun and I think you'll be happy with it if you give it a chance.

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The armorer block offered by the “The SIG Armorer” is a handy tool for disassembling a difficult gun. I haven’t used most of its features very much, but the takedown lever rotating assist made the thing worth every one of its 4500+ cents.

https://www.thesigarmorer.com/...ct/p320-access-tool/

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gents, thank you SO much for all the suggestions, especially the one to get the Romeo 1 working. Unfortunately, the new girl and I just had too many irreconcilable differences and she’s been sold. Fortunately, I bought the gun at a great price so I only took a $125 hit. I have a West German P226, a P226 TacOps, a P365, and a P229 all in 9mm. With the exception of the P365, I’ve owned them all for many years and have thousands of flawless, accurate rounds through them. Also, none of them has given me the smallest whiff of problems...until the P320. I hear what you’re mostly saying, these are quirks that you get used to over time, but with other quality products out there one does not need to accommodate any quirks at all. I’ll likely buy one again (minus the Romeo 1) at some point a few years from now when they work out the kinks....

posted Hide Post
Anything mechanical can have issues.

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Contact Us | SIGforum.com | Terms of Service
© SIGforum 2019

My 320 RX Compact definitely needed to be initally zeroed; similarly, when I changed from the OEM Compact grip frame module to the X Carry grip module, I needed to re-zero also. That intrinsically made sense because the change in grip angles/configurations inherently concurrently changed my index with the gun and sights.

Best, Jon

Posts: 995 | Location: Auburn, WA USA | Registered: June 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All the problems you relate center around the optic. As for not being zeroed well give me a break. Even if they did zero it at factory it could have been handled by anyone and zero shifted. Complaining about that is silly. Stiff takedown lever? It’s brand new, it will loosen up. Can’t remove the fcu? I have 5 of these and I seriously think it’s one of two things. You are doing something wrong or call the factory. I suspect it’s you. Glad you got rid of it. How did it shoot?

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It shot very well, zero complaints. Low recoil and accurate. Zeroing the optic took all of 20 rounds, that was easy too. Still, if they advertise it to be zeroed they should honor their promise. Now...I’m not a newbie here, and I’ve never had any issue EVER with disassembly of a new weapon to be so stiff that it’s nearly impossible. Wrestling with a new gun that’s pushing a grand is nonsense. I’ve never had any P series pistol be anything other than perfect right out of the box, prior to this P320 RX. I’ll stand by my statement.

posted Hide Post
We get it, your other thread proclaims it from the mountain tops. The optic wasn’t zeroed. Get over it. Maybe your lgs fucked with it. Maybe it got bumped. Maybe they didn’t zero it. WGAF. It took you 20 rounds to zero it. (Which is a lot btw).

Besides which I think your disassembly issues are inexperience with the platform and nothing to do with a problem with the gun. Someone got a brand new gun at a discount so good for them. Bet they got it apart as well. Assuming you “disclosed” all the issues this gun had. Or imagined.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post