SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    A question from r .38 super shooters.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A question from r .38 super shooters. Login/Join 
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted
I have noticed people are really in to shooting .38 super. What is the deal? Why do you like it? How does it compare to 9mm, .357sig?

My uncle has a colt commander in .38 super that is a somewhat rare model. I don't know the specifics, but it was appraised at about $4,000. It has been fired.

He shoots about 2 mags out of it per year.

I asked him about it, but he doesn't have an opinion either way.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like it because its about as cheap to reload as 9mm and I feel that it's longer length makes it a bit more reliable in a 1911 as compared to 9mm.

Posts: 17 | Location: Omaha | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
How does feel compared to .357 sig and 9mm?

TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
For me it primarily boils down to the pistols. I don't think I shoot much of anything better than a 220 in .38 Super. OTOH, it's a fun cartridge to play with in it's own right, and seems to give the best performance one can expect from the 9mm without the round being loaded quite as hot.

Recoil is noticeably but not substantially greater than one would get from the same pistol loaded with +P 9mm. I'm going on the basis of shooting different pistols, but recoil seems to be a lot lower than it is with the 357SIG.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reload it like the original load,130gr. @ 1300fps. Almost the same as the 357 SIG.

Posts: 76 | Location: United States | Registered: October 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
^^^ 1+ ^^^

quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
How does feel compared to .357 sig and 9mm?

Think about the feel of a 357 Sig with the capacity of a 9mm.

Most of the pistols in .38 Super are also a lot easier to shoot as they have more inertia to tame the recoil. Some of the fancier .38 Super 1911s have a recoil spring rated at 5 1/2 pounds. Plus you can load half a box of ammo in a double stack 1911.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Been a Super owner for many years. Why the Super? Guess I liked the idea that it was supposed to be more powerful than 9MM. Acquiring a chronograph at some point, I found that not always to be the case. I experienced miserable accuracy with my early Combat Commander and another Super Colt with those old style barrels. Had a succession of Supers since that were much better guns. In factory ammo, .357 SIG ballistics are superior to the Super. Likewise, the factory Super is superior to most standard pressure 9MM. If 9MM +P or +P+ ammo is factored into the equation, major manufacturer 38 Super is not always superior to 9MM. With "boutique" manufacturer, or handloaded ammo, the Super can always exceed the best 9MM ballistics due to operating at similar pressures, and having the advantage of greater powder capacity. I don't have any particular reason to have, shoot and reload the Super, other than indulging my ballistic interests.

BTW, Sure be interested in the specifics of that rare model Colt Commander your Uncle has that has been appraised at $4000.00??? Like to learn more about that one.

NRA Life

Posts: 1561 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
I've always liked the somewhat odd calibers.

Flat shooting. Lot's of energy on target. Tame, even at the higher end of the velocity spectrum. Also one of the original chamberings of the 1911.

Easy to reload for.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The .38 Super is a long cartridge that feeds well in a long action like 1911 or P220.

It can be, but is not always, loaded to somewhat higher velocity than 9mm P.

Availability of guns and ammo is nowhere near 9mm.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rock185:
Been a Super owner for many years. Why the Super? Guess I liked the idea that it was supposed to be more powerful than 9MM. Acquiring a chronograph at some point, I found that not always to be the case. I experienced miserable accuracy with my early Combat Commander and another Super Colt with those old style barrels. Had a succession of Supers since that were much better guns. In factory ammo, .357 SIG ballistics are superior to the Super. Likewise, the factory Super is superior to most standard pressure 9MM. If 9MM +P or +P+ ammo is factored into the equation, major manufacturer 38 Super is not always superior to 9MM. With "boutique" manufacturer, or handloaded ammo, the Super can always exceed the best 9MM ballistics due to operating at similar pressures, and having the advantage of greater powder capacity. I don't have any particular reason to have, shoot and reload the Super, other than indulging my ballistic interests.

BTW, Sure be interested in the specifics of that rare model Colt Commander your Uncle has that has been appraised at $4000.00??? Like to learn more about that one.

I'll try to find out more. He's not really a gun guy like we are. My grandad gave it to him. He had it appraised by a collector. I don't know what it is that makes it so rare.

TCB all the time...

posted Hide Post
Pictures, we need pictures of a $4000 Commander.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does anybody know if there is 38 super P227 floating around somewhere? That sounds like it would be a pretty cool piece. Would an aftermarket conversion be possible or would the factory have to implement certain changes?

Psalm 144:1

Posts: 62 | Registered: April 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I think the .38 Super horse had left the barn before the P227 joined the stable.

You'd have to swap a few parts, but it should make for a trusty steed.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
Would a 38 Super slide fit on a 227? Magazines would be an issue too. Sounds very intriguing though!

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Based on an earlier Gray Guns project, the easiest course might be to modify the breech face and extractor to fit .38 super cases.

Still no idea as to what to do about a magazine - so far nothing I've looked at seems to fit closely enough that it could even be modified to work. I keep hoping, though.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dc54:
Magazines would be an issue too...

Regular mags should work fine. At least they do in my Glock.

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ With a 227?

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
^^^ Can't say for sure about the P227. Purely speculation on my part

When I converted my Glock to .38 Super I had no issues with the magazines themselves. Unless they had a Kriss Vector magazine extension, they all worked fine.

Picture of nojoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dc54:
Would a 38 Super slide fit on a 227? Magazines would be an issue too. Sounds very intriguing though!

Sorry to dig up an old thread Razz
I have tried my older 38 Super 220 slide on a 227 frame. Works just fine. I do not know if 38 Super would load or feed properly from the stock 227 magazine though. I think the follower might be too big. But if I could load up a 227 magazine with 38 Super without issue (15 rounds),the next step would be to shoot it with the "220 38 Super" upper. Man that would be sweet if it worked without a glitch.
Smile

Posts: 1292 | Location: Marysville, WA 98271 | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I think USPSA shooters like it because it can be comfortably loaded to major power factor, giving them more rounds per mag than .40 or .45.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post