SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Want a P228 again so bad
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Want a P228 again so bad Login/Join 
Member
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
There's one on GB right now, complete with everything, including the label. But, I'm still suspicious.[/QUOTE]


I see the one with the nickel slide. only one I see, for $1800? im wanting the full electroless nickel like I had. Frown
 
Posts: 83 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bolo4tom:
I see the one with the nickel slide. only one I see, for $1800? im wanting the full electroless nickel like I had.

No, I'm talking a full Nickel one. It's there.
 
Posts: 16657 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by bolo4tom:
I see the one with the nickel slide. only one I see, for $1800? im wanting the full electroless nickel like I had.

No, I'm talking a full Nickel one. It's there.


there are actually TWO on there right now...simply put the 'P' in front of 228 brought both of them up. both pistols look great but one has the older box and two nickel mags. im watching both and gonna be a bidder if it doesn't get too crazy. thanks for the heads up!!
 
Posts: 83 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^^ The other one [KA] has incorrect case and manual, and no test target, incorrect mags, and no confirmation label. That's why I didn't mention it.
 
Posts: 16657 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
^^^^ The other one [KA] has incorrect case and manual, and no test target, incorrect mags, and no confirmation label. That's why I didn't mention it.


yeah the KA gun looks to be in a lil better condition, but there are those mismatched items you mentioned. the other one has the proper extras but there appears to be a lil flaking in front of the take down lever (pic 2) and in the circle notch on the slide. I messaged the seller for better pics of that area. thanks again for the heads up.
 
Posts: 83 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bolo4tom:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
^^^^ The other one [KA] has incorrect case and manual, and no test target, incorrect mags, and no confirmation label. That's why I didn't mention it.

yeah the KA gun looks to be in a lil better condition, but there are those mismatched items you mentioned. the other one has the proper extras but there appears to be a lil flaking in front of the take down lever (pic 2) and in the circle notch on the slide. I messaged the seller for better pics of that area. thanks again for the heads up.

Was just looking at those to see what y’all were talking about and I checked the bidding history. The high bidder on the second one (maybe KH or KJ) is the seller of the one with the nickel slide at $1,800. Must figure if he can get it cheap he’ll flip it for big bucks. Either that, or he's trying to drive the price up to make his look good. Bush league!



If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under. Ronald Reagan
 
Posts: 797 | Location: Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
yeah, that's not cool, but I guess its legal on GB.

12131, I couldn't afford the nickel 228 that ended tonite but I got to thinking bout your comment. since you seem to be the 228 guru...what are the odds on the nickel 228 with the mismatched extras bein a set... could it be possible those all DO go together? perhaps the 228 was sent to Sig be electroless nickeled?? did Sig ever do that?? thanks
 
Posts: 83 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I'm glad that gun didn't go for much higher. Maybe many folks were suspicious of the finish?

bolo4tom, anything is possible. But speculation does not equal confirmation. Wink Btw, back in those days, you can actually send your SIG to Klein for them to EN plate it.
 
Posts: 16657 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of SiGagain
posted Hide Post
whenever I had a SIG EN'd by Klein Plating, SIG did not do it for anyone and I dealt with Tommy at Klein Plating (then) directly...

I do recall around 2007 or so that SIGArms DID show they offered an EN refinishing however it wasn't from Klein and when I contacted them about having a refinish on an old P225 was told it might be on their website but they did NOT offer it...

Bill


Fast is Fine...Accuracy is Final
*SiGARMS GSR Revolution STX
*SiG/Sauer P220*P226*P228*P245*SPC2009

NRA Benefactor Life/LEAA Life Membership
 
Posts: 2312 | Location: ChicagoLand, USA | Registered: November 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SiGagain:
is the difference between the original 13 rounders and the newer, Mec-Gars 15 rounders just the magazine follower (and van I retrofit my 13 rounders?) or is the magazine tube a touch longer???

Bill

The body is the same length but the follower is different. However, I have never seen a definitive answer as to whether the mag spring is different also. The problem with retrofitting the 13rd mags is I don't believe the Mec-Gar parts will fit the German-made Sauer mags, assuming Mec-Gar would even sell you the parts. I don't believe they will.
 
Posts: 2713 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of SiGagain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wgsigs:
quote:
Originally posted by SiGagain:
is the difference between the original 13 rounders and the newer, Mec-Gars 15 rounders just the magazine follower (and van I retrofit my 13 rounders?) or is the magazine tube a touch longer???

Bill

The body is the same length but the follower is different. However, I have never seen a definitive answer as to whether the mag spring is different also. The problem with retrofitting the 13rd mags is I don't believe the Mec-Gar parts will fit the German-made Sauer mags, assuming Mec-Gar would even sell you the parts. I don't believe they will.


Thanks very much for your answer...

Bill


Fast is Fine...Accuracy is Final
*SiGARMS GSR Revolution STX
*SiG/Sauer P220*P226*P228*P245*SPC2009

NRA Benefactor Life/LEAA Life Membership
 
Posts: 2312 | Location: ChicagoLand, USA | Registered: November 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SiGagain:
quote:
Originally posted by wgsigs:
quote:
Originally posted by SiGagain:
is the difference between the original 13 rounders and the newer, Mec-Gars 15 rounders just the magazine follower (and van I retrofit my 13 rounders?) or is the magazine tube a touch longer???

Bill

The body is the same length but the follower is different. However, I have never seen a definitive answer as to whether the mag spring is different also. The problem with retrofitting the 13rd mags is I don't believe the Mec-Gar parts will fit the German-made Sauer mags, assuming Mec-Gar would even sell you the parts. I don't believe they will.


Thanks very much for your answer...

Bill

...........................................
The German and Mec-Gar magazine springs are different for sure. Wire dia. is same but the profile is different.
 
Posts: 321 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SiGagain:
quote:
Originally posted by wgsigs:
quote:
Originally posted by SiGagain:
is the difference between the original 13 rounders and the newer, Mec-Gars 15 rounders just the magazine follower (and van I retrofit my 13 rounders?) or is the magazine tube a touch longer???

Bill

The body is the same length but the follower is different. However, I have never seen a definitive answer as to whether the mag spring is different also. The problem with retrofitting the 13rd mags is I don't believe the Mec-Gar parts will fit the German-made Sauer mags, assuming Mec-Gar would even sell you the parts. I don't believe they will.


Thanks very much for your answer...

Bill

After some sleep and some turkey, I realized that my memory failed me again. My previous post implied all 13rd P228 mags were German made. That is not true. Mec-Gar did make 13rd mags for SIG and 15rd mags under their name. As I understand it, Mec-Gar agreed not to make mags that competed directly with the ones they made for SIG by having the same capacity, hence the additional two rounds. Regardless, I don't believe Mec-Gar sells the parts separately anyway.
 
Posts: 2713 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wgsigs:
quote:
Originally posted by SiGagain:
quote:
Originally posted by wgsigs:
quote:
Originally posted by SiGagain:
is the difference between the original 13 rounders and the newer, Mec-Gars 15 rounders just the magazine follower (and van I retrofit my 13 rounders?) or is the magazine tube a touch longer???

Bill

The body is the same length but the follower is different. However, I have never seen a definitive answer as to whether the mag spring is different also. The problem with retrofitting the 13rd mags is I don't believe the Mec-Gar parts will fit the German-made Sauer mags, assuming Mec-Gar would even sell you the parts. I don't believe they will.


Thanks very much for your answer...

Bill

After some sleep and some turkey, I realized that my memory failed me again. My previous post implied all 13rd P228 mags were German made. That is not true. Mec-Gar did make 13rd mags for SIG and 15rd mags under their name. As I understand it, Mec-Gar agreed not to make mags that competed directly with the ones they made for SIG by having the same capacity, hence the additional two rounds. Regardless, I don't believe Mec-Gar sells the parts separately anyway.

Here is your definitive answer. Big Grin
The spring of the original 13-rd German mag is constructed differently from the Mec-Gar mag spring. The German spring is uniformly narrower, due to the 2 indentations at the bottom of the mag. The Mec-Gar mag does not have the indentations. So, Mec-Gar makes its spring is wider at the bottom half. You can stick the entire German spring into the Mec-Gar body, but you will not be able to completely insert the Mec-Gar spring inside the German body (because of those indentations). It will get stuck half way in.

 
Posts: 16657 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Q. Big Grin

Also, I forgot to mention the exceptions to the supposed capacity agreement as Mec-Gar now makes a SIG Sauer 15rd P228/P229 9mm mag, and of course there have been the restricted capacity 10rd mags.
 
Posts: 2713 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SiGagain:
whenever I had a SIG EN'd by Klein Plating, SIG did not do it for anyone and I dealt with Tommy at Klein Plating (then) directly...

I do recall around 2007 or so that SIGArms DID show they offered an EN refinishing however it wasn't from Klein and when I contacted them about having a refinish on an old P225 was told it might be on their website but they did NOT offer it...

Bill


I have a nickel 228 that I purchased from a gun dealer. He stated in writing to me that he bought the gun from the original owner who had sent the gun in to Sig for plating (who used Klein) and that he (the dealer) had seen the invoice from Sig to the gun owner where the work was done. Unfortunately, the dealer either did not get or lost the invoice when he bought the gun from the orig owner so I do not have the invoice just the dealer's assertion.
 
Posts: 1601 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of SiGagain
posted Hide Post
depending on when in time this happened and I have an idea since you say Klein did the work...the owner would have sent the pistol directly to Klein Plating...SIGArms really didn't deal with us end users back then...

Enjoy that pistol...every bit as nice as one from SIGArms just won't have the provenance for resale...which may not matter to you at all...it never did to me...

Bill


Fast is Fine...Accuracy is Final
*SiGARMS GSR Revolution STX
*SiG/Sauer P220*P226*P228*P245*SPC2009

NRA Benefactor Life/LEAA Life Membership
 
Posts: 2312 | Location: ChicagoLand, USA | Registered: November 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Want a P228 again so bad

© SIGforum 2018