SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Best paint for Glock baseplates?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best paint for Glock baseplates? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Have a couple calibers in Glocks now. Looking to rapidly differentiate my 9mm from 10mm mags stored baseplate up.

Just want to spray the baseplates a dark grey for quick grab if need be.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25417 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would try either Krylon's paint for plastics (sorry I can't remember the exact name) or Plasti-dip as it can be removed easily if you choose later. Many colors and ~$5 a can.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glock use to sell orange base plates for training mags. Maybe use them for 9mm.

Posts: 243 | Location: OH | Registered: January 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
Krylon’s plastic paint, called “Fusion”, I believe, is pretty decent. I’m sure training with and dropping the mags will shorten it’s life though. The best result I ever had painting plastic was starting with a primer called “XIM”. It comes in a spray can and you can literally paint glass with it. Last time I checked it was about $10 a can at Sherwin-Williams.

Posts: 1626 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I use an orange sharpie to put 40 on the back of those G22/23 mags and I put a large orange dot on the side of the G42 mags to tell them apart from the G43 magazines. G43 and G17/19 mags get nothing but numbers on the side, except I also use I use orange OEM baseplates for all my Glock 17/19 training mags.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
One thing that worked for me was different baseplates for different rounds.

Pierce for 9mm, Anodized for 38 Super, +1 for .45, +2 on 10mm, OEM for 357 Sig, etc...

Also works with Kriss Vector mags as they accept baseplates on the end.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put orange baseplates on my 10mm mags. Bought them on Amazon.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16083 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
I use different colors of nail polish with dots on Glocks mags for cal. For example two dots yellow for Glock 19 #2 magazine. 3 dots red for Glock 23 #3 magazine. Helps weed out bad mags if there is an issue.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
A drill bit makes a fine permanent marker. Wink

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glock makes factory base plates in orange. I have a few that I use when I’m rafting or fishing so I can easily see that the magazine is in the gun.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I did the paint thing for a while to differentiate between 9mm and .40S&W mags. Discovered that I was not nice to the paint; it looked like crap after a few weeks.

Now I've been switching over to colored TangoDown Vickers base plates; black for .40S&W, grey for 9mm. One plus is that I like the additional purchase surface afforded by their greater width; makes ripping a mag out of the well a tad bit easier...for those tactical reloads, of course... Big Grin

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I use a metallic silver Sharpie to write on my Glock mags and baseplates. Lasts for a year or so of regular use before needing to be touched up.

Posts: 32503 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I have so many versions of mags that it became a problem differentiating them. I got orange baseplates for my Glocks from Amazon-I think they came in a package of 10. But I got stickers from an outfit on eBay for a number of different Sig magazines. Just go to eBay and search magazine baseplate stickers, there is a wide array of designs and calibers, etc, and they are cheap. The ones I have seem to hold up pretty well.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.htm...te+stickers&_sacat=0

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Thanks.
I’ll be grabbing the grey baseplates by Vickers.
The Glock Orange is a little to bright for my taste.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25417 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Krylon. Blue bottom is a good mag with Win Ranger. Yellow bottom is a training mag.

Scouts Out

Posts: 1118 | Registered: May 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the white sharpie paint pens. They last quite a while.

Posts: 716 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: December 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a white paint pen, but for the baseplates use the Vickers, and they're various colors, which makes it easy to color code.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about white-out????? Put a dot on the 10mm and just keep on going.

Posts: 6623 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
White-out wears off too easily, in my experience.

Krylon and paint pens last longer, but still need to be reapplied.

Colored baseplates last forever (until broken), but cost significantly more.

Posts: 32503 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
How about white-out????? Put a dot on the 10mm and just keep on going.

Also works extremely well on black front sights...pistol or rifle for quick acquisition in relatively dim light. Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 726 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post