SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Uberti 1873 Cattleman?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Uberti 1873 Cattleman? Login/Join 
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted
Does anyone have an Uberti 1873 Cattleman in 45 Long Colt? Thoughts? comments?

I've been considering one for a while and the itch is getting stronger.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one, and although it doesn't get shot much, I like it a lot. The original sear and bolt spring broke, of course, as they tend to do on the Uberti guns, but it's easy to replace and then runs fine.

It doesn't feel as nice as an original Colt from the era, sad to say, but then who would shoot an original Colt?

I tried several loads based on modern powder, and settled on about 34 or 37 grains of Ffg black powder, but it's been a while and I don't remember the exact charge. It filled the case (modern web-based W-W) and was slightly compressed IIRC. Clean with soap and water, lube it well with any modern gun oil, you're good to go.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9145 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post