SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Any experience with the Walther CCP M2 .380?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any experience with the Walther CCP M2 .380? Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted
I don't know what it is about people I know and Walthers. A buddy recent bought a PPQ as his first gun, and while he's happy with it, the only reason I can think of to explain that is that he's inexperienced and doesn't know any better. I shot it, and my assessment was that it works, but there are far better plastic gun options out there. The trigger mas mediocre at best, the grip was odd, and it's kinda ugly. Since the P320 and Glocks exist, I don't see a purpose for that thing. I've never really had a desire to own a Walther myself except for maybe a P38.

However, I now have a different friend who is interested in the CCP M2 .380. She asked me about it, so I looked into it, and I have to say it's actually a very interesting design. The gun uses a gas piston to delay the blowback and reduce recoil, so as a result it is supposed to be very soft shooting. Another benefit of this design is that the recoil spring is very light, so the gun is easy to rack, which is a huge deal for her. She has limited hand strength and is very recoil sensitive, so a soft shooting gun that is easy to manipulate, and large enough for a comfortable grip is what we are looking for.

I'm not sure that we're going to find one locally (or at all...I looked on gunbroker and couldn't find any listed), but I'm kinda hoping we do just because I'm intrigued enough by the design to want her to get one so I can try it Big Grin. On the other hand, I don't want her to end up with something that isn't going to work for her. I'm kinda concerned about the safety...from the videos I watched it looks kinda chintzy. Takedown is also kinda weird, with the striker spring popping out of the back of the gun. Does anybody here have any experience with this model to give me the scoop?

Posts: 8541 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Several members here have a CCP in 9MM.

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Have her rent one and shoot a decent amount of ammo through it, before purchasing.

I found it heated quickly (not as bad as a P7M8 but still bad), had a snappy recoil (much like a blowback 380), the sights weren't the best and the trigger a bit gritty. It was quickly sold off.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I wish we could do a rental, but that's not really an option around here. Or local gun stores don't have ranges, not to mention you don't really see Walthers in stock very much. I appreciate your feedback...while disappointing, it's the kind of info I'm looking for.

Another friend had an M&P 380 EZ that she tried, and our experience with that was less than impressive as well. I felt like the gun had more recoil than a locked breach .380 should have. I guess the search continues.

Posts: 8541 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Are you sure your buddy bought a PPQ?? Your description does not seem right as the PPQ is a high quality pistol with excellent trigger which many consider the best of striker fired pistols, I love mine in 9MM. Maybe your buddy got the PPX? Yeah that is a bit on the ugly side.

The CCP has mixed reviews and is made in the Walther Umarex factory where their air pistols are made and not the ULM factory where the PPQ/P99/PPS are made.

You might want to check the Walther forum as it has a section on the CCP, something that I would not consider myself due to history of problems.

https://www.waltherforums.com/forums/ccp.73/

Posts: 9737 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Yeah, my buddy's gun is a PPQ. I agree that it's a quality gun...the thing works just fine. I just don't like it. It doesn't do anything that my P320s don't do better (better grip, better sights, better takedown, and WAY better trigger). But he likes it, and I'm glad he had the option to buy it and is happy with it. Diversity and competition in the gun market is a great thing, as it encourages all the manufacturers to do better, and the more people that buy the stuff I don't like, the more of the stuff I want there is for me Big Grin. I realize folks have different tastes, and I'm ok recommending something I don't necessarily care for, provided it's a quality product.

Thanks for the link to the CCP page on the Walther forum. I should have probably looked there first, but I know and trust the opinions of folks here, and we have a wide range of experience on this board. From looking over just the first page, it appears the CCP is something of a dumpster fire. This is less surprising now that I know that it's made by Umarex...a company with a storied history of making <sarcasm> quality </sarcasm> firearms like the Mosquito. You'd think Walther would have taken note of that debacle, but apparently not.

Was just in the LGS today and he is overloaded with a new shipment of M&Ps, including some of the EZ models...maybe I'll point her in that direction.

posted Hide Post
The CCP gets warm after a couple boxes, havent shot the .380 but I bet it is crazy soft. The .380s I have seen have a shittier finish than the 9s at least on samples I have seen. HK P7 has similar design.

Posts: 1153 | Location: Decatur, GA | Registered: November 14, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post