SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Kahr K9 vs S&W Shield
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kahr K9 vs S&W Shield Login/Join 
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted
For those that have owned/shot both, how does the Kahr K9 shoot and carry compared to the lighter S&W Shield?

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4190 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevH:
For those that have owned/shot both, how does the Kahr K9 shoot and carry compared to the lighter S&W Shield?

Shooting wise, I'd give the edge to the Kahr. Because it's a heavier pistol, I personally think it handles better.
Carry is a toss up. Both conceal nicely and I've done a tee shirt over both and never had a problem. The Kahr is heavier of course but a good belt and holster solve that.
I've had all 3 calibers of the Shield and all of them were great pistols but the Kahr does it for me.
IIRC, I bought the Kahr ~3 years ago and it's one that won't be sold. I have the K9 Elite model with night sights and it's probably my favorite.
Capacity is limited in both the Shield and the Kahr but you can't go wrong with either one really.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
If you like a double action revolver trigger more, you'll like the trigger on the Kahr more.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
I prefer the Kahr in every way, other than the DAO trigger. Don’t get me wrong, the trigger on the Kahr’s are better DAO than the Shield’s striker action. I just dislike the long reset on DAO pistols.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2223 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never shot a Kahr. I did buy both a S+W bodyguard 380 and a Shield 1 9mm. I took both to the range today. The bodyguard as a heavy and REALLY long double action trigger that breaks at the very back of the trigger guard and is hard to stage and hard to be accurate with. The Shield however has a light trigger pull 2/3 of the way back that is easy to stage, and firm and relatively short pull/break. I liked the trigger on the shield for a carry pistol, the shield also shoots well and recoil is no problem with it (or the bodyguard for that matter).

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
My only concern with any of the Kahr triggers is that if you aren't 100% used to them, and also shoot guns with shorter resets frequently, under stress you will shortstroke the Kahr reset.

Their triggers are like butter, otherwise.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11441 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup. My K9 trigger is smooooooth.

Posts: 7327 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
Before I retired, my Kahr CW9 replaced my S&W 642 as my BUG.

I looked very hard at the K9 because it shot so well, but just couldn't get pass the weight penalty. Having said that, the K9 is a great gun to practice and train with and would serve very well if worn on a belt holster.

One of my IDPA guns is a S&W M&P9 tricked out with Apex Tactical action parts and barrel. It was my go-to polymer gun until I starting exploring the SIG 320.

I've shot maybe 3-4 different Shields and just didn't feel comfortable with them. I could hit fairly well with them, but it felt like I was always fighting the gun getting back on target.

Disclaimer:I had my Kahr trigger smoothed out a bit and the slide stop deburred. It now feels like a factory tuned S&W K-frame..not a competition tune, just a clean up. It is easy to get accurate followup shots by using DA revolver techniques.

The only irritating thing about the Kahr line of pistols is that you are required to release the slide, from slide lock, to chamber a the first round.

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14174 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had both and prefer the shield due to the lighter trigger and shorter reset. The shield also felt like a higher quality pistol to me compared to the cw9 that I had. Also easier to break down and put back together.

Posts: 2750 | Registered: March 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer the Shield. The recoil difference is negligible, the trigger works better for me, and overall the shield is round where the Kahr is round. The Shield is far more comfortable in IwB carry.

Posts: 17114 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the DA trigger pull on my K9 elite. I fired a friends Shield at the range and that is my only experience with it, however I am not a fan of striker fired weapons and compared to my P365 I am much more accurate with the K9. Same for my Sig P250C 9mm- great DA trigger there too.

Posts: 263 | Registered: January 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
Apples and...Well, it’s more grapefruits and oranges.

Posts: 1342 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post