SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Catch-22? P320 .40/.357 mags with SIG base
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Catch-22? P320 .40/.357 mags with SIG base Login/Join 
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted
I ordered an "X" grip module from SIG. The module is advertised as 9mm/.40/.357. However, there is a caveat that only magazines marked SIG are compatible. Is it just the tabs on the baseplate.

Of course the magazines that came with my P320 Nitron Carry are marked sIGSAUER and are not compatible. The image of the .40/.357 mags on the SIG WEBsite show the baseplate which is marked SIGSAUER.

Are there actually .40/.357 magazines that are compatible with the "X" grip module? I assume there must be if it is advertised as it is. However, no other place I've looked for the mags shows the baseplate or makes reference to the difference.

My LGS does not have any replacement magazines I can actually look at.

The other question is whether the SIG marked magazines, if they exist, are compatible with my existing P320 module, the one that came with the gun or are the two types of magazines and modules mutually exclusive?

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGWolf:

The other question is whether the SIG marked magazines, if they exist, are compatible with my existing P320 module, the one that came with the gun or are the two types of magazines and modules mutually exclusive?

Mags with the newer baseplates work with all existing grip modules.

Posts: 32492 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

I've temporarily solved my problem by cannibalizing two 17 round 9MM magazines with the new plate and base. I used those plates and bases on my .40/.357 magazines and that works.

The question still remains whether I can buy compatible .40/.357 magazines. I may be able to find compatible bases if the spring plate will work with them and be stable and secure.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
Sig made these at one point, but I can't find them available anywhere.

http://www.sigsauerguns.com/si...mag-flr-plt-blk.html

Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
I ordered the Heavy Duty baseplates from GGI and some square peg floor plates from Obsidian Arms. That allows me to convert the magazines I have to the new style.

I would hope the current magazines they are shipping are the new style. I just don't have much confidence, if I just order some, that I won't get some "old stock".

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sig made these at one point, but I can't find them available anywhere.

http://www.sigsauerguns.com/si...mag-flr-plt-blk.html

They just recently started offering those. As you've discovered, they're in high demand/low supply, so they're perpetually out of stock.

quote:
I ordered the Heavy Duty baseplates from GGI and some square peg floor plates from Obsidian Arms. That allows me to convert the magazines I have to the new style.

I converted my older 9mm magazines with Springer Precision baseplates. They don't require new locking plates, since they use the older style round peg locking plates.

quote:
I would hope the current magazines they are shipping are the new style. I just don't have much confidence, if I just order some, that I won't get some "old stock".

Ask the store that you're buying from, before you place the order. I just bought some 9mm magazines, and Top Gun Supply was able to confirm that they were the new style baseplates.

Posts: 32492 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I have confidence, if I ask TGS, they will send me the right mags. I've emailed them.

Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

Looks like you've done what I'm working on doing. I've switched to the x-grip grip module and and going to install the PELT flat face trigger from GGI.

Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
I’m waiting on a reply from TGS now.

Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
TGS has replied and indicated all the mags they have in .40/.357sig are the old type, So, at present, it is a Catch-22.

You can buy a X-Carry module which SIG advertises as 9mm/.40S&W/.357sig but you can't buy .40/.357sig mags that will work in it. You have to buy mags then change out the base plates at least, with third party base plates. If the third party base plates do not have round locking holes, then you probably have to replace the locking floor plate as well.

Perhaps SIG is just flat out getting base plates for 9mm mags and doesn't want to use them for other calibers.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SIGWolf,

Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
Received the retainer plates and base plates yesterday.

I'm impressed with the base plates especially and it eases the frustration at not being able to just buy magazines that fit in that these represent a definite upgrade rather than just a replacement.

This is likely something most people won't run into and don't care about since the P320 is predominantly a 9mm platform and SIG seems to have down scaled their offerings in .40 and .357 especially. Of the eleven models, five can be ordered in .40S&W and only three in .357sig. There is only one Exchange kit for .40 S&W and three for .357sig.

Gone are the days when virtually every model came in all three calibers.

Still, since the grip module is advertised for 9mm/.40S&W/.357sig, yet you can't find magazines that will work, for me, it's an issue.

Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

They just recently started offering those. As you've discovered, they're in high demand/low supply, so they're perpetually out of stock.

I can't find them in stock anywhere. Converting the mags using the method I've found is definitely an upgrade, but more than twice as expensive, $23 as opposed to $9.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SIGWolf,