SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New S&W revolvers are junk compared to the classics...Oh, wait...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New S&W revolvers are junk compared to the classics...Oh, wait... Login/Join 
Big Stack
posted
If you like revolvers, or just want almost an hour of blissful gun geekiness, watch this.

This guy knows his way around S&W revolvers and likes the new ones better. He gives lots of detail that can be useful, especially to those who are into older S&Ws.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/4h9l2ipiKf4

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I looked at one of these yesterday at Royal Range down in Nashville. It certainly didn't feel like junk, or like it was cheaply made.

I'm glad to hear this too.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently purchased one of the new Model 66-8's with the 2-3/4" barrels and it is very well built. The timing and lockup is perfect and the action is very smooth. Should Virginia pass some limited magazine capacity law next month, this will become my new winter EDC.

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Yes the new guns are truer and squarer and far easier to do action work on.

But even with the lightest, smoothest actions, they just don't feel right. They don't feel the same, they do feel cheap compared to the old guns. Frown

If he'd stop saying things twice, the video would be 3/4 the length. Big Grin

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have no doubt that any manufacturer today can produce an equal or better product than in the past...and if it wasn't for that damn lock spoiling the appearance I would buy one. I have no doubt the unintentional "locking" reports were overblown, I just hate the look.

Love my Sigs but carry my Glocks

Posts: 374 | Registered: February 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
I've purchased several (610, 629, 642, 442) since 2006. They've all been perfect. The ones with the lock get exorcised.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Deputy 617
posted Hide Post
I am often amused by folks telling everyone how great things were back in the day, and how "they just don't make things like they used to". I for one, can (and do) appreciate the classics, but I have no doubt that modern manufacturing produces products at least equal to, if not superior to their predecessors.

SIG SAUER...... Get you some!

Posts: 369 | Location: Kansas City | Registered: July 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
The fanboys posted that video in three different areas on another board.

Kuhnhausen, who wrote the shop manual for S&W revolvers, disagrees with this "armorer". Wink Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I have a couple “recent” PC 627’s with locks from about 3 or 4 years back. They have been reliable, very shootable guns and they let me shoot them without the care I would give my pre-lock guns especially my PC681. They are well made ....... stupid lock and all.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wonderful video. Looks like new revolvers are a bargain.

Posts: 2047 | Location: East Central Toadsuck, Florida | Registered: September 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:

But even with the lightest, smoothest actions, they just don't feel right. They don't feel the same, they do feel cheap compared to the old guns. Frown

This, and the metallurgy is better too. Not that there was an issue with the Metallurgy on the old ones, except possibly forcing cones on K frames not holding up to hot .357's

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deputy 617:
I am often amused by folks telling everyone how great things were back in the day, and how "they just don't make things like they used to". I for one, can (and do) appreciate the classics, but I have no doubt that modern manufacturing produces products at least equal to, if not superior to their predecessors.

Yes and no. Technology and the processes YES. The problem with a lot of production today compared to yesteryears, is the cost (and resulting quality) cutting measures on damn near every product.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently purchased a Model 27. A thousand dollar gun. It has the worst single action trigger of any handgun I have ever fired. Gritty with lots of creep. I have been collecting S&W revolvers since the 60's and this is the first time I have been seriously disappointed in a brand new factory fresh gun. I've never even heard of a S&W revolver with a lousy single action trigger. I bought it through Bud's so didn't have an opportunity to inspect prior to accepting. Won't happen again.

Posts: 16 | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
This quality doesn’t spread to J-frame triggers, for darn sure.

Posts: 9963 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have shot a ton of J-Frames over the years and I don't ever remember ANY of them having what you would call a stellar trigger out of the box. I always sort of felt like it was a combination of the tiny design footprint and a conscious decision to make the triggers heavier since they are the quintessential pocket gun.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 18DAI:
The fanboys posted that video in three different areas on another board.

Kuhnhausen, who wrote the shop manual for S&W revolvers, disagrees with this "armorer". Wink Regards 18DAI
I've had Jerrys' manuals for 1911 and he was very knowledgable man. However, from a gun smiths point of view, he would work over ever damn part of the pistol as if it were needed. Stone and polish every serface, even those not required. Making Gods 1911 out of a basic Government Model. I would be very interested in his opposing points of view on this mans knowledge of the S&W upgraded revolvers.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
quote:

I have shot a ton of J-Frames over the years and I don't ever remember ANY of them having what you would call a stellar trigger out of the box. I always sort of felt like it was a combination of the tiny design footprint and a conscious decision to make the triggers heavier since they are the quintessential pocket gun.

I agree. In single action they were OK, but the DA is nothing close to any K, L, N frame I've ever owned.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
BBMW, that is one of the best videos I've viewed to date. He is Boston, Joizey or NYPD but speaks very clear english. Seppin for pots being parts. I honestly did not know of all those upgrades, which are a vast improvement over yester years S&W internals. Im still not fond of the lack in true case color on triggers and hammers plus, they've not retained the exact profiles of these 2 parts from forged to MIM. They need to work on that. I know of every piece and pin and surfaces this Armorer has shown us. He is absolutely correct in showing very accurately the problems which could occur in the earlier revolvers. Mind you, these are guns of regular use not safe queens. I like what I see and have learned here. Lock doesn't bother me in the least. The stocks are not exact and seem to be buffer wheel finished. I still like the traditionals more. To think I've said No to the newer S&Ws. My bad.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:

I bet the actions do feel a bit different with these upgrades. When next I am in a Gun Shop, I will take the time to check one or two out.

posted Hide Post
I like the newer revolvers and the trigger seems smooth enough for me. I do have an Apex kit in one and it does make it feel more crisp.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post