SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    1911's in 9mm
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1911's in 9mm Login/Join 
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Check out the latest from Ed Brown, the KC9. Priced at $1895 and has some nice features not found on other EB’s.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So what are people's thoughts on Ed Brown vs Wilson Combat?

Posts: 333 | Registered: January 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Ed Brown has a new slim 1911 in 9mm for about $1,900. Looks like a good concealed carry.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1553 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
I only have 1 1911 in 9mm and I can tell you it surprised the crap out of me.

It's the Rock Island! Cheap and it has been flawless. Pretty decent fit & finish but "Hell and back reliability".

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by paceac:

At that price point, I don't really think you could go wrong either way.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
Don't people assemble their own 1911s these days? They sure as hell assemble their own AR-15s. So why not 1911s? There are so many 1911 options and sources available at great prices, just do it. You will save some money, learn a lot, and have a great time.

I assembled this one back in '86. I found the complete Colt upper for $100 at the Fresno Gun Show and the bare Springfield Armory receiver for $100 at the LA Gun Show. While at the LA Gun Show, I stopped by the table of Ken Hallock. He suggested what internal parts to get and who to get them from. I bought his book and followed his suggestions. After the pistol was assembled, I had an armorer at the Honolulu Police Department perform a trigger job. I think I'm in this pistol for around $300 total. It looks good, always goes 'bang', and is very accurate. Plus, it's cheap to shoot. What's not to like?

PS: Ken Hallock's suggestion to install Colt/Pachmayr wraparound rubber grips along with a Pachmayr rubber main spring housing was right on target.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2191 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Springfield RO in 9mm
So far I am very very happy with it.
I love the target sights, probably 600-700 rounds through it with no issues(I know 600 is not much)

Posts: 1178 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
I've got a Dan Wesson PM-9 I've used as my, "Cheater Gun" in IDPA matches. Absolutely love it, only issue is that it will not function with Wilson magazines, the feed lips make contact with the bottom of the slide. Metalforms and Cobra Mags and it runs like a champ.

Oh just remembered, it went back to the factory after I bought it. It had a tendency to go full auto. Fun, but not quite legal. Dan Wesson took care of everything with excellent customer service.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
paceac, your Dad will love whatever you get him.

Posts: 625 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Dan Wesson is always a great choice. But let me suggest a Ruger Commander. Then use the money you save to send it to The Action Works for a tune. You wont regret it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16087 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by paceac:

I have 1 of each in .45 and government. My Wilson has a great fit and terrific trigger and is extremely accurate. My Ed brown is a Kobra in S/S and the finish is much nicer than the Wilson. It too is very accurate and has a great fit, a hair looser than the Wilson and I'd say the Wilson's trigger is a hair better also. But, I just like the way the Ed Brown shoots and feels during operation or recoil. I cannot explain it, but it's my favorite gun and I rarely shoot the Wilson. Both are far better than a DW or Colt or etc. etc. But if I had to choose the two I always reach for the Brown. Now other peoples thoughts I'm sure will be different.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
STI from Dawson Precision.

https://dawsonprecision.com/guns/sti/

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
STI makes a good 1911.

Their customer service is shit.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't overlook the Smith and Wesson scandium frame 3" 9mm Pro 1911. I had one for about a thousand rounds, and only traded it because i wanted a 10mm 1911 (ended up buying a Dan Wesson Razorback). In my opinion, its the most reliable 9mm micro 1911 on the market. As much as i like Dan Wesson pistols, smith uses the external extractor in their 3" Pro, so you have the reliability of a Gen 3 smith, with the 1911 features we all like-trigger, manual safety, grip etc..For what its worth, i also had the .45 version and that too was flawless thru over a thousand rounds, probably more like 1500.
These are expensive but if you are looking for a carry 1911 9mm, at least look at one of theses 3" Pro pistols.

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
STI makes a good 1911.

Their customer service is shit.

LOL...I’ve heard that but I have never needed any service.

As far as a shooter it’s ridiculous. Everyone who tries mine wants it. It’s not A100 in the looks department but it’s slick slick slick as a shooter.

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
STI has gotten out of 1911s anyway. They're focusing solely on their double stack 2011s now.

If you want a STI 1911, it'll have to be either Old Stock or Used.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I know there's some who don't like KIMBER but I've not had any issue with my Pro and Ultra in .45acp and Ultra in 9mm.

I took my Ultra 9mm to the range yesterday and ran 150 rds of so called 'junk' 115gr WINCHESTER White Box and 124gr Blazer Brass. Not a single issue except I didn't have enough magazines with me. The range master came over and wanted to see what I was shooting that put two big holes in the head and center of mass target. He thought I was shooting at least a Commander.

My DAN WESSON Classic .45acp, appearance aside, shoots no better than any of my KIMBER pistols and costs much more.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
STI has gotten out of 1911s anyway. They're focusing solely on their double stack 2011s now.

If you want a STI 1911, it'll have to be either Old Stock or Used.

Yes...Dawson has them still however. One of them is their completion ready package....

Get them while their hot cause they won’t be around forever.

posted Hide Post
I can also thoroughly endorse the Ruger LW Commander in 9mm. I had one and did sell it because the siren song of the1911 platform just costs me money, But it was exceptional. And at a very high quality for the price point.

Posts: 4658 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TexasRaider
posted Hide Post
Years ago Colt made their Combat Commander series 70 in 9mm (pic is from the 'Net, not mine). I'd love to have one just like it, my Pop has one identical but in .45 ACP.

I always thought the Commander was more suited to the 9mm as it's more shootable. My Dad's in .45 (with warm to hot ammo) bucks and jumps like a ticked off wild mustang trying to be saddled. It's just a bit much....

Posts: 801 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: June 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post