SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Choosing One Pistol To Concentrate On
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Choosing One Pistol To Concentrate On Login/Join 
Picture of Gambit
posted
I learned to shoot a handgun with a revolver and it was a few years later when I bought my first 9mm pistol. I did a lot of shooting with those two firearms and became very comfortable and proficient with both, but I stilled dreamed of getting others.
Over the years I've been fortunate to own several nice handguns that I desired. As a result I spent less time with only one or two and my shooting skills declined as a result.
I recently made a decision to again concentrate on one revolver and one pistol and to shoot these 90% of the time.
That one semi-auto is my P226 with an SRT kit installed. The revolver is a 4" 686.
Anyone else that would choose, or has chosen, to do the same with their favorite one or two handguns?

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
Since the mid 80s, I've owned MANY pistols. However, 95-98% of the time, I trained, carried, practiced, and competed with one style of weapon system. The system changed over the years.

85-89: My carry gun was a DA/SA system - Walther PPK/S, S&W DA/SA pistols or Beretta 9mm DA/SA. All had the slide mounted safety/decocker system of operation. I did use a Browning Hi-Power for competition, IPSC and NRA Action Shoots at my local range.

1990-2005: SIG DA/SA Pistols (220, 226, 228, 225,239, 230, 232) All had the same operating system.

2005 - current: Glock 19, though I played around with the Walther PPS M2 and Glock 43 for a year each. Again, all had the same operating system.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What you say makes lots of sense - unless you're weak like me - and like to shoot lots of guns.

Jerry

Posts: 158 | Location: Oregon | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
I am always walking this line. What I have done recently is bring my PACT timer to the range, run some bill drills, plate rack, and other drills, and let the timer tell me which gun I like better than the others. But then I get home, or get to the gun store, and the timer is a liar! I gotta have others to try too.

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Guilty here, I love variety. It would be smart if I narrowed things down

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
You mean one for each hand, right?

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
P228 and G19.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Glock 19 or 45

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I too have many pistols, but I only train and practice with what I carry anymore.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
G23/19 with G43 as secondary. PPS M2 as likely replacement for the G43. I still shoot other handguns but those sessions ultimately are for pleasure/fun rather than for anything serious.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I am a variety shooter but I have settled back to DA/SA as my preferred mode of operation and that is what is shoot the vast majority of the time.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Standardized manual of arms just makes too much sense to ignore. You can collect and appreciate
But shoot what you will carry and hone your skills with it...

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree fully, in theory, in practice I come up a little short ...

Posts: 1417 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: January 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am coming to that way of thinking also. I don't have to many pistols but a few are different from each other.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope. fully the opposite. I want to shoot anything well or good enough. So I practice that. I know as a practical matter that I can run matches faster and with better scores with a SAO Legion with an RMR than anything else. And I'm pretty close with a G34 with an RMR and trigger work. But that's unlikely to be what I have on me, or what I'm going to be able to maintain long term or what I'm likely to borrow or.... SO I shoot other glocks with irons and revolvers with crap sights and triggers and all kinds of things I own with lots of different triggers/resets/etc. ...all trying to be the best I can be with what I have right now.
Manual of arms is not an issue for me, I swipe the safety on a Sig SAO or 1911, decock on a DASA gun all without any conscious thought.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, I like shooting a lot of different guns, but have pretty much settled on SAO guns. Revolvers I usually shoot in SA at the range as well.

Although when I have one pistol, my first pistol and shot that pretty much exclusively, I was very accurate with that pistol.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a variety of pistols. But more and more I find myself carrying a P250.
Simplicity. Reliability. Great DAO trigger. And Since I first began with revolvers, it is a good choice for me.
I wont get ride of my other pistols, but for EDC the 250 works.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While I certainly shoot my EDC choice most, I am a firm believer that fundamentals apply across platforms and that bad triggers can make you a better shooter.

In the OP's case, I think shooting revolvers and DA/SA are the best training there is, assuming he's focusing on the DA. If someone said they focused solely on 1911s, I'd tell them that they aren't doing themselves any favors and should probably try something else to improve themselves.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
With my woman I am faithful, with guns I am promiscuous.

Strikers, SAO, DA/SA, Sig, H&K, Springfield - I loves me all manner of semi-auto handguns. I even have one revolver left, SP101 in 9mm.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
As far as carry and self defense usage, I've narrowed it down to 2 models .

1st: The P365 is my daily carry gun. I have an early production gun that went back for the RTB issue and since then I have 1900+ rds through it with zero issues. Over 1K of those rds have been self defense loads with me favoring the Hornady 115gr XTP as a carry load. Normal carry is pocket but I do occasionally switch up to strong side IWB depending on my clothing.

2nd: P320 series in 9mm. My 2nd most carried pistol is a P320 X-Carry (all stock) but I also have a P320 X-Five setup as a home defense gun (sports Fixed night sights and a TLR-1 HL light on it). Both pistols are loaded with Federal 124gr HST.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post