SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    VTAC Shooting Low
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

VTAC Shooting Low Login/Join 
posted
Gentlemen: Just picked up a new Sig VTAC and found that it is shooting about 1-2 inches low
on POI at ten yards.

I have six Sigs and I know that all of them including an earlier P320C all hit POI at POA.

The pistol is great and provides tight groups for me but I have to hold slightly above the bulls eye to get solid hits. I have to aim over the head on IPSC targets to get a good, A-zone hit.

I have heard some rumblings about #6 versus #8 sights showing up on VTACs. However, I don't know how to identify if I may have a mixed set
on my pistol.

Any thoughts from my fellow Sig brothers?

Ducguy

Posts: 6 | Location: Dallas, TX  | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I don't know about your SIGs, but mine all had numbers stamped into the sight to tell the height. The numbers are small, so you have to look close.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Is this off of a rest, or are you just winging it?

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
VTAC Shooting Low

Known problem, Google "Sig VTAC shooting Low"

https://www.tacretailer.com/20.../p320-x-vtac-pistol/

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
From the article in the link:

"When I mentioned that to the folks at Sig, I was told they had discovered early into the first run of X-VTAC’s that some of the pistols did in fact group low. After some research, Sig made a change.

According to Phil Strader, Sig’s Pistol Product Manager, additional milling was done to the rear sight dovetail to correct the low shot placement in all current X-VTAC’s."

I suppose it's another reason why it doesn't pay to be an early adopter. In particular with SIGs given the company's tendency to let end users do their beta testing for them.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
I suppose it's another reason why it doesn't pay to be an early adopter. In particular with SIGs given the company's tendency to let end users do their beta testing for them.

+1000 to this.

Fire, Ready, Aim seems to be their mantra with new products.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
What is the purpose of holes in the slide of a “tactical” pistol? To allow the entrance of dust, dirt, and debris into a place where they don’t normally accumulate? I must wonder if anyone has conducted a drop it into the mud or loose sand and stir it around before shooting test to see if that design is a good idea.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rstaton
posted Hide Post
Im having this exact same problem. Bought my vtac from sig pro shop about 10 days ago.... very frustrating...i had to adjust the rear sight all the way up on my 320 x5 and now this...
Any idea if sig will make this right?

Posts: 163 | Registered: September 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
What is the purpose of holes in the slide of a “tactical” pistol? To allow the entrance of dust, dirt, and debris into a place where they don’t normally accumulate? I must wonder if anyone has conducted a drop it into the mud or loose sand and stir it around before shooting test to see if that design is a good idea.

It looks cool and all the other vendors are doing it? Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rstaton
posted Hide Post
Just talked with sig customer service, they are having me send it in... got a warning that 90% of ppl that send something in, turns out to be the shooter and not the pistol... i actually understand that, but i can see the writing on the wall...
My 226, 228, 229, x5AR, 320, 320x5 (with rear sight cranked all the way up) all hit perfect....but if it comes back without being repaired and they say within limits... i think i will lose my mind, and finally step away for good... think positive, think positive...

posted Hide Post
I am generally confused on these shooting low/high/left/right/everywhere posts. First if you can't make a decent group, yup its you. But if you can, these are dovetail guns and SIG fortunately makes different height sights to match your POA versus POI. And the aftermarket (Gray guns, Dawson, Warren) does the same.
Change the sights to what works. What is the issue that could possibly be "step away for good". I'm confused as usual.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Known problem, Google "Sig VTAC shooting Low"

Odd as the two recently obtained both shoot to POA. 320 X5 is dead on out to 35 yards. Only a minor correction needed.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rstaton
posted Hide Post
I get that... but like i said all my other sigs hit perfect point of aim...this is a brand new released model...and even phil strader himself commented that they found problems with hitting low...well if it needs extra milling, then just replacing sights wont work...needs to be calipered.

posted Hide Post
I rented a fs 320 and an X5 both were shooting low at 10 yds for me, I shot other 3 guns that same day and I was not having the same issue with any other handgun just the Sig's.

Posts: 931 | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brothers: Thank you all for responding and your ideas.

Rbert0005 to answer your comment/questions I shot as well as my instructor friends with a rest and free hand. It isn't the shooter. The groups are nice and tight but, low.

GaryBF I checked the front and rear sights and they say "TG 113" as best as this old man can see to tell. If this means they are "six" or "eights" I cannot say.

I am leaning toward having these sights replaced as hrcjon recommends.

Rstaton please keep us informed as to how Sig addresses the sight problems on your VTAC. I have been waiting so long for this pistol I am hesitant to hand it over to anyone but, Robert Burke.

Ducguy

Posts: 6 | Location: Dallas, TX  | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There should be a number on the sights. On the front it should be visible on the left side of the sight while looking directly down at the sight. On the rear it should be on the right side visible while looking at the right side.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post