SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig P320 X-Five Problems
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig P320 X-Five Problems Login/Join 
posted
I just love the feel and the accuracy of the New P3320 X-Five, but this handgun will be going back to Sig this morning for diagnostics and repair. I get a lot of FTE’s and stove piping, decreasing in frequency after about 500 rounds through the P320 X-Five, but still often after the last round is fired in a magazine. Yesterday I fired single round magazines using several magazines and 30/30 times the slide did not remain open. I think I eliminated a bad magazine using different magazines. Any suggestions on the cause? Also, with a loaded magazine when I rack the slide multiple times to empty the magazine, the rounds tend to jam up, not fully removing a round from battery. Sig customer service told me not to do this but to remove the magazine.... never had this happen with a Glock or any of my other P226's. Opinions? Anyone else with a P-320 X-Five had any problems?

Posts: 85 | Registered: July 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1) Did you clean and lube the pistol before using it, or did you just take it out of the box and shoot it?

2) Shoot with your left hand and see if that eliminates the slide not locking back on the last round. If you can pull the slide back and lock it open with an empty magazine, the slide catch is most likely working properly.

3) Try different ammo if left handed shooting didn't show any improvement. The ammo you are using may be too weak to cycle the slide properly. A different brand or maybe some 124 or 147 grain.

quote:
Originally posted by Virginia Gentleman:
Also, with a loaded magazine when I rack the slide multiple times to empty the magazine, the rounds tend to jam up, not fully removing a round from battery. Sig customer service told me not to do this but to remove the magazine....

It makes no sense to hand cycle rounds through a pistol and proves nothing.

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TrojanX4
posted Hide Post
I’m interested in this thread because I’m having a similar issue with the slide on one of my X5’s not locking back. I actually own 2 X5’s and my first one works flawlessly, but my newest one won’t lock back on the last shoot. I’ve run both through multiple rounds using multiple magazines and my old one locks back 100% of the time and my new one 0% of the time. I’ve only put about 100 Rounds through the new one so I’m hoping there is just a break-in period. I’m not however having any issues with It cycling like the OP.

Posts: 1874 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just got mine, my wife has one with 2k rounds through it. Sometimes mine doesn't lock back but more than likely that's due to the thumbs on the slide release. They all lock back with an empty mag when not shooting, so, that kind of answers that question. Or, the ammo is too weak to get it to lock. If you are shooting weak ammo you might get some fte's or stovepipes. I had a few for the first 200 rounds or so shooting blazer brass 115. Shot a match last night and the gun ran perfect, except for not locking back but again, more than likely it was my thumbs or the ammo. I am really starting to like this gunSmile

p229Extreme/P226Tac-Ops/P226 Extreme/P226 SAO) P226 X-5 Blue Moon/P226 X-5 Black and White

Posts: 750 | Registered: March 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GP229....been there, seen that, done that! When I talked to Sig customer service, they said to lube the hell out of the P320 X-Five...(contrary to what they usually preach about their handguns)and I did. I shot with both hands, strong arm, weak arm, even shot upside down. Did the same every time, slide did not lock to the back. I shot 2 kinds of ammo, white box and Federal, both 124 gr. All 4 magazines, when empty, had the slide locked in place when pulled back. Also, it may make no sense to rack the rounds through the magazine but a handgun should be able to go it without jamming. All my other SIGs and Glocks feed the rounds through without jamming...but the Sig P320 X-Five jams almost every time...it is not about doing something that makes sense, it is about the mechanics of the weapon. My X-5 DE, X-5 Entry, X-5 Competition do not show any of the problems I have had with the P320 X-Five. I am sure Sig will fix the problem and am looking forward to getting it back.

Posts: 85 | Registered: July 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hopefully, they'll get it sorted out for you!

As for TrojanX4, I'd be swapping recoil springs/guide rods to see if that made a difference.

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Had my first range visit with my new X-Five. Hearing stories on how tight they are, I was expecting some issues.

With Remington 115gr “Value pack” cheapo ammo I was getting one or two stovepipe jams with each mag. Slide locked open every time after the last round though, and no instances of FRTB like some have reported.

With my carry ammo (Hornady 135gr +P Critical Duty) it cycled flawlessly with no stove pipes or any other malfunction.

I am not concerned, if the problems continue after another couple rounds then I will worry about it. Pretty sure just some break in needed.

Next step is a GrayGuns trigger kit and guide rod.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10938 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cremaley
posted Hide Post
While I don't have an X-Five I do have an X-Carry and it has been flawless through 100 rounds. No failure to feed or extract and slide locks back after last round is fired. Thoroughly clean and lubed it before I fired it for the first time.

Sig P320 X-Compact 9mm
Bul SAS 11 UL 9mm
US Army Veteran
NRA Member

"Remember the first rule of gunfighting...have a gun"-Jeff Cooper

Posts: 152 | Location: Alpharetta, Georgia. | Registered: June 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I took my X-Carry straight out the box. Put 500+ rounds through it with no issues. Hope you get the issues worked out.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8850 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Virginia Gentleman:
Did the same every time, slide did not lock to the back. I shot 2 kinds of ammo, white box and Federal, both 124 gr. All 4 magazines, when empty, had the slide locked in place when pulled back. Also, it may make no sense to rack the rounds through the magazine but a handgun should be able to go it without jamming. All my other SIGs and Glocks feed the rounds through without jamming...but the Sig P320 X-Five jams almost every time...it is not about doing something that makes sense, it is about the mechanics of the weapon. My X-5 DE, X-5 Entry, X-5 Competition do not show any of the problems I have had with the P320 X-Five. I am sure Sig will fix the problem and am looking forward to getting it back.

The White box and Federal ammo you used is in my experience weak. I'd try something like Speer Lawman.
And when you empty a magazine by racking the slide you have no where near the same velocity as you would when firing a normal round.

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I suspect I know what you mean by “white box,” but Federal makes more than one type of 124 grain 9mm ammunition, so that would be nothing more than a guess.

Failures to lock back when the magazine is empty is usually due to contacting the slide catch lever with one’s thumb or low-powered ammunition. The load can have enough energy to cycle the slide for ejection and chambering, but doesn’t move it far enough to the rear to be engaged by the slide catch lever. I would try a more powerful load (unless the Federal was already something rated as +P) to see how that works. Winchester 124 grain NATO (Q4318) is available from online sellers like SGammo for not much more than the typical wimpy training stuff, and it may be worth a try. A friend was having cycling problems with his Legion, but the Q4318 he tried yesterday seems to have cured them.

As for the belief that manually cycling rounds from the magazine shouldn’t result in any malfunctions, I would agree—assuming you cycle the slide at the same velocity as when the gun is fired, or close to it. When I function test with dummy rounds, I cycle the slide as hard and as fast as I can manage. If I don’t, the rounds just flop around and aren’t chambered and ejected “as they should.”

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post