SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock 34 gen 5?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock 34 gen 5? Login/Join 
Picture of Ken226
posted
My employer is making the swap to Glock. Last week I was issued and qualified on my new Glock 47 9mm.

I'm really liking this new gun. It's gives (me anyway) excellent qualification scores with less effort. The model I was issued isn't commercially available, but I like it so much I immediately ordered a Glock 34.

So, my Glock 47 doesn't have the half moon cutout on the bottom front of the mag well. I definitely prefer the feel of this new gun over previous Glocks I've used which had this cutout.

The G34 I ordered is a gen 5 mos factory equipped with Ameriglo bold sights, set-up similar to my issued G47. Does anyone know if the G34 will have the half-moon cutout or not?

My Google searches indicate that some gen 5 guns have it and some don't. Any Glock experts here know what the deal is with the cutout? Will my new G34 have it?

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
My Gen5 has the cutout, my Gen 4 didn't, interesting enough the Gen5 MOS online doesn't show it..

https://us.glock.com/en/pistols/g34-gen5-mos-fs

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
Yea, oddly about half the pics online have it and half don't.

If it has the cutout, I won't complain. But I'd prefer it not have the cutout.

It looks like they don't have the cutout in the top of the slide anymore either.

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
My 34 Gen5 MOS has the cutout, I've had the pistol at least a year, maybe 18 months.

Posts: 3537 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cutout guns are gone. If you get one, it's likely an early Gen 5 gun.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:

Good info. It sound like I have a good chance of getting one without the cutout.

Thanks.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Yep. All the guns manufactured after 08/19 have no cut out.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Yep. All the guns manufactured after 08/19 have no cut out.

Great. Thank you.

On a side note, my new 47 is an interesting contraption. It's basically a 17, but the frame has a shortened dust cover and the front of the slide has a Glock 34/35 style recoil spring tunnel.

I guess the goal was to make a Glock 17 length gun that can use the recoil spring/guide rod from, or swap upper halves with the Glock 19 mod 1 that's also being issued.

For some reason, someone decided that was necessary.

posted Hide Post
I just Googled some pictures of the Glock 47 and honestly it looks pretty cool. It's like the ultimate evolution of the original Glock 17.

With that said, I have to wonder about the point. I don't see how it is an improvement over the Gen 5 Glock 17.

It does look like a really cool pistol.

Posts: 6608 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
I don't think it was meant to be an improvement. It was probably about logistics.

It reduces the number spare parts an armorer needs to keep on hand, and allows for the possibility of 4 gun configurations, from 2 frame and slide sizes.

In practice, i doubt it'll be as useful as they thought it would be.

This guy explains it in his YouTube video.

https://youtu.be/WcHgbxMqLY0

Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
They eliminated it because the cutout is stupid and people told Glock it was pinching their pinkies so they listened. I feel it’s just as easy to strip a mag out from a lateral approach.

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yup. Pretty much NOS these days, assuming the current panic buying hasn't entirely depleted them all by now. A couple of distributors were blowing out some half moon guns back in January; I ended getting some for the shop and initially they just sat. Probably 80-90% went with the no-cutout Gen5s. But then the world got crazy stupid...

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Can we PLEASE just leave that stuff out of threads? For God's sake. Let's mention gun panics- unnecessarily- and then take it even a bit further. Come on. Stop mentioning this stuff. This is a thread about Glock pistols. Just leave it at that, huh?

You guys have to stop tracking that shit into every thread, or you're gonna hear me howl.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ken226:
I don't think it was meant to be an improvement. It was probably about logistics.

Yep. The G47 apparently shares all internal parts with the G45 and G19, except for the barrel.

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Ken226:

Yep. The G47 apparently shares all internal parts with the G45 and G19, except for the barrel.

The only internal part that I can think of that differs between the G17 and G19 is the recoil spring. Are CBP Armorers really that bothered by it?

Doesn’t really matter. It’s still the coolest looking pistol out there. If I was a CBP agent, I would at other L.E.O’s when I saw them carrying an ugly G17 and make them hang their heads in shame.

Posts: 6608 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Can we PLEASE just leave that stuff out of threads? For God's sake. Let's mention gun panics- unnecessarily- and then take it even a bit further. Come on. Stop mentioning this stuff. This is a thread about Glock pistols. Just leave it at that, huh?

You guys have to stop tracking that shit into every thread, or you're gonna hear me howl.

My apologies, Para. In my defense I'm faced with this crap every fricking day at the shop. So sometimes I just need to let it out; in the future I will be mindful to do this elsewhere.

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
The 47 is a 45 frame with a 17 length slide. It allows a CBP officer to essentially create a Glock 45 using their g19 slide on their g47 frame. The g47 slide will fit on a g19 frame as well, creating a sort of g19 long slide.

I believe it has something to do with how the request was written and what Glock needed to do to comply with the request

I would love to buy a g47. I have a very good friend who is a firearms instructor out in harpers ferry for the cbp and he has nothing but praise for it

While glock’s at it I wish they’d sell the g46 to us normals as well. It’s hard to believe they won’t eventually because people would of course buy them

Oh! You won’t be disappointed in your 34 gen 5. Your 47 is equivalent to a 17. I carry a 45 every day, but the 17 gen 5 MOS is my favorite gun.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 48 is a thin 19 with a longer barrel and it holds 15+1 with the SA mags.
#perfection

Posts: 92 | Location: NM | Registered: May 30, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zero1911:
The 48 is a thin 19 with a longer barrel and it holds 15+1 with the SA mags.
#perfection
Yeah, when that combo achieves the thirty years of reliability of the G19, you let us know. Around 2050 or so, then.

Those nifty magazines? They're about as well-tested as a newborn babe.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
My 34 MOS arrived at my dealer. No front grip cutout, no slide cutout and it has front serrations.

I completed the paperwork and am now awaiting the WA state 10 day background/ waiting period. I'd love to buy the same rear sight that's on my 47 to put on the 34. I started another thread hoping to find that rear sight available on the market, but it's possible it's not available on the open market.