SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    W. German 226 DAO - factory offering?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

W. German 226 DAO - factory offering? Login/Join 
Picture of bashman
posted
I picked up a nice clean West German P226 from my LGS recently. Serial is U492XXX, KD date code. It is DAO, not DAK. Which I understand DAK has only been around the last 15 years or so.
Did Sig ever produce factory DAO, specifically West German? I'm trying to figure out if this has been converted later in life. And if so, I will likely convert it back to DA/SA.
But if it was a factory offering, then I would keep it DAO as I do not ever recall seeing any. Thanks for any help in advance.

A man who does not read has no appreciable advantage over the man who cannot read.

Posts: 1192 | Location: Charlotte | Registered: July 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bashman
posted Hide Post
Pics

https://photos.app.goo.gl/se52zxe2hCNCwPAJ9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/sqSEzgdpH6ahXNws5

A man who does not read has no appreciable advantage over the man who cannot read.

Posts: 1192 | Location: Charlotte | Registered: July 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
DAO W. German P226 and P228 were LEO guns. Yes, factory.

Q

Posts: 26372 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bashman
posted Hide Post
Thanks Q.
Were they a common offering? Is there a way to track down it's history? I would love to know which agency it was issued to.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
The DAO P228 and P226 pop up for sale every now and then. Not very common. Folks who buy them often convert to DA/SA. The DAO SIGs are not very popular.

As to tracking history of these W. German SIGs, you are really SOL. SIG USA won't help you out, as they claim their database "doesn't go back that far".

Q

Posts: 26372 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
SIG USA won't help you out, as they claim their database "doesn't go back that far".
Meaning it's too hard to check, as I've had them look up late 80s pistols to check how they left the factory.

Took like 30 second... "DA/SA, Nickel with night sights".

Then again that was 10 years ago.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
SIG USA won't help you out, as they claim their database "doesn't go back that far".
Meaning it's too hard to check, as I've had them look up late 80s pistols to check how they left the factory.

Took like 30 second... "DA/SA, Nickel with night sights".

Then again that was 10 years ago.

Yeah, that's why I said they won't help you out. As in unwilling to. Wink

Q

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have doubts that that pistol left the factory as a DAO. Although it’s not impossible, there are two things that raise questions.

Short reach triggers like the one in the gun were evidently very uncommon in the West German manufacturing era. Second, and although I can’t be absolutely certain from the photo, the gun appears to have the usual rub mark on the finish caused by the decocking lever. Only if I’m seeing things that aren’t there would I be convinced that it didn’t start life as a DA/SA model. None of that is important, of course, but would make it a less-rare variant.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I agree with sigfreund about the decocking lever rub marks. I question that the grips are original as well.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Grips definitely not original. Should be the old style no logo checkered grips. The short trigger might or might not be original, because it's been around since the early 90s.

Q

Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
Yes, grips should look like this if original..

Posts: 4360 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The grips on this pistol are the grips used on a DA/SA, not for a DA only pistol. however in 2007 i did by a factory new Sig p220 Compact Elite from the custom shop that came with wood grips that were meant for a DA. This was not of concern to me as I thought I might convert to a DA/SA. Never did convert as adjusted to the DAK and like it.

Posts: 385 | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Factory P226 DAO/DAK plastic grip plates do exist, I believe, but they are very rare; despite looking for a set for many years, I was never successful. I have several Classic line SIGs that were shipped from the factory as DAO or DAK models and none has double action only grip plates. The only less-uncommon exception was the small P229 DAK grip. Strangely, at first glance it appears to be compatible with the decocker, but the decocker will not fit under the left plate.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Photoman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Factory P226 DAO/DAK plastic grip plates do exist, I believe, but they are very rare; despite looking for a set for many years, I was never successful. I have several Classic line SIGs that were shipped from the factory as DAO or DAK models and none has double action only grip plates.

Technically speaking... The P226 DAK starboard grip is not the same as the P226 DA/SA grip as they are clearanced on the inside for the DAK trigger bar.

+++

Posts: 1561 | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
The gun did not come from the factory as pictured.

KD puts the gun at 1993 proofmark.

To start, it has the wrong grips.

The "short" trigger didn't arrive until the early/mid 2000's.

The hammer spur is accurate for that era of CPO guns.

Just a guess, but it was probably an LE trade it that was resold as a CPO in the mid-to-late 2000's.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4198 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevH:
The "short" trigger didn't arrive until the early/mid 2000's.

This is incorrect. The short trigger has been around since the early 90s. It was not as ubiquitous as it is now, that's why a lot of folks were not aware of it, but it started rearing its ugly head much earlier than early/mid 2000's.

Q

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
In 1993 I had the opportunity to attend a class given to Army CID agents transitioning from S&W model 10 revolvers to the M11 pistol. The gun a former subordinate let me borrow for the training had a short reach trigger. Because I preferred it so much over the standard trigger that my first (40 S&W) P229 had in 1994, I had one installed in my gun. So yes, I know from personal experience that the short trigger has been around for at least since the early 1990s.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
In 1993 I had the opportunity to attend a class given to Army CID agents transitioning from S&W model 10 revolvers to the M11 pistol. The gun a former subordinate let me borrow for the training had a short reach trigger. Because I preferred it so much over the standard trigger that my first (40 S&W) P229 had in 1994, I had one installed in my gun. So yes, I know from personal experience that the short trigger has been around for at least since the early 1990s.

And, here is an article from Guns & Ammo, on the M11 story showing one from 1992, with the short trigger.
A LITTLE GUN THAT COULD: THE STORY OF THE M11

Q

The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
quote:

Interesting. Still, the one on his gun looks like one of the MIM mid-2000's ones. I'm staying with my late-2000's CPO guess.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4198 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bashman
posted Hide Post
I’ve purchased a decocking lever, spring and bushing. I’ve read that I need a new sear, which I plan to take care of with a SRT kit.
Will the hammer that is on the gun now work in DA/SA mode, or do I need to get a new hammer, too?
Anything else I’m overlooking for the conversion?