SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P220 Sport with compensator FTE/Jamming
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P220 Sport with compensator FTE/Jamming Login/Join 
posted
Went to the range yesterday. 1st time I've fired this one, every mag about 4th or 5th round down I'd have a Failure to eject/jam. Shooting Federal HST hollow points. Grrr, any thoughts on what's going on? Fella I got it off of claimed it only had @ 500 rounds through it.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of deadmanmike
posted Hide Post
I’ll take that old piece of crap off your hands Wink

=============
Certified Sig P-Series Armorer
Certified AR-15/M16/M4 Armorer
Certified 1911 Armorer
Certified Glock Armorer
Certified Sig P320 Armorer
Certified Glock Advanced Armorer
Certified MPX Armorer
Certified MCX Armorer

Posts: 1587 | Registered: June 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Haha! I have an unfired P226 Sport stock with compensator too. I had to buy this one so I wouldn't shoot that and I can leave it unfired. These things are as rare as hens teeth these days.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimb888:
Went to the range yesterday. 1st time I've fired this one, every mag about 4th or 5th round down I'd have a Failure to eject/jam. Shooting Federal HST hollow points. Grrr, any thoughts on what's going on? Fella I got it off of claimed it only had @ 500 rounds through it.
If you remove the slide and barrel, how tight does it grip a round if you slide it up under the extractor?

Is that the only ammo you tried? Granted HST's are usually pretty good, just asking.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
From my office chair, it sounds like the slide velocity is too slow, i.e. not getting a full stroke. Try a different load like good old hard ball and maybe think about a weaker recoil spring. Are the slide/frame rails well lubed with something not too viscous?

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you need to run a couple of different ammo types to any real diagnostic. My go to is nato hardball.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well lubed. HST is the only ammo I had and have used. I'll try some ball ammo and see what happens.

I'll remove the slide and barrel over the weekend and check that out.

That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
How many different magazines have you tried, one or several?

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Do the magazines have the little dimples on each side near the feed lips?

If not try ones that do.

I have had some issues with the older P220 / P245 mags without the dimples.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
The sport and the original P220ST use the same frame with a internal extractor. These Sigs suffered from a poorly designed extractor that Sig denied responsibility for.
If you are having trouble with it now it will only get worse.
Contact Bruce Gray about your problem, he designed an extractor to cure this problem. He did years of research on this problem in order to fix it.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gary, good idea. I only ran one mag.

Armor, I thought that issue was for the x5s?

posted Hide Post
I thought that too about the extractor improvement but GG does list it for the 220.
https://grayguns.com/gunsmith-...-internal-extractor/
But I don't think you are at that point. Different mags, different ammo and let's see where we are.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Contact the man, Bruce Gray he will steer you right on this topic otherwise you are chasing your tail.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MBOYD
posted Hide Post
I carried and competed with a P220 with the internal "new" extractor. It was very sensitive as to tension pressure. If the issue is failure to extract./eject, generally the tension is too low. If the gun won't go fully into battery (close all the way)with a round under the extractor, then the tension is generally too high. I believe GGI has a much improved extractor fix, though I'm not sure if it's for the 45 ACP round or lesser calibers. Contact GGI as others have recommended.

At a minimum, I recommend you learn how to remove and "tension" (carefully bend), your extractor.

Another issue can be related to the compensator itself. If you can shoot the gun without the comp, try this as a way to test the gun.

Finally, SIG often springs their guns with super heavy springs. You might want to try a lighter recoil spring (from Wolff or a similar source). Since the gun is new, my guess is that the springs are too much for the ammo.

Final thought: Comp guns like faster lighter bullets which generate more gas pressure at factory loading standards (usually). Try these to get the most from your comp.

-mb

Posts: 684 | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post