SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Anyone Giving Up Their P938 for the P365?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Giving Up Their P938 for the P365? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I'm tying to post photos of strikers from P365, with the tips broken off, from Google Photos, into the "Image URL", but I can't get it to take. What am I doing wrong?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: agksimon,

Posts: 22 | Registered: April 15, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Serious question- not trying to stir thing up. Wouldn't a machined steel firing pin be heavier than a MIM part? And if so, couldn't there be safety issues from this if you dropped in an after-market part? Wasn't firing pin inertia when dropped at certain angles part of the "safety problem" on the P320 and wasn't that why SIG skeletonized the firing pin as part of their re-working of that model?

Posts: 8 | Registered: November 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agksimon:
There are a lot of postings on that famous social media site. Look for Sig Sauer P365 and sign up.

Why would I do that, you're the one commenting about not being able to post images, I gave you options.

I'm not searching for links to validate your claims, you made the statement, you back it up, links, images, why should we do your work for you. etc....

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I may be something of a traditionalist but my take is it I have something that works and is proven for a given job I stick with it. For decades my J frame was my primary carry gun. Old school all steel made I. The 1960’s. I only recently went to a Glock 42. I found it worked equally reliably was a hair easier to shoot accurately at speed of course holds a couple more rounds ( albeit slightly less powerful) and is quicker to reload. But I did not buy this gun. It was a prize at a shooting match, so other than spare mags and holsters didn’t cost me anything. I did not too long ago try a 938 at a rental range. It was not superior in performance enough compared to the J or 42 to justify buying one

Posts: 3271 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by empirebldr:
Serious question- not trying to stir thing up. Wouldn't a machined steel firing pin be heavier than a MIM part? And if so, couldn't there be safety issues from this if you dropped in an after-market part? Wasn't firing pin inertia when dropped at certain angles part of the "safety problem" on the P320 and wasn't that why SIG skeletonized the firing pin as part of their re-working of that model?

Well if SIG didn't let their engineering/company/whatever pride get in the way and had just used the trigger lockup lever (ala Glock), which BTW almost everyone else and their mother uses, none of this drop-safe nonsense would've ever happened. But that's not where we at. Instead there are pics of broken firing pins. For those of you who couldn't be bothered to look for them yourselves, here's a small sample of what I found with a few minutes of searching:

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks, soggy_spinout, for those photos. But although they are photos (plural), I’m not sure they are photos of broken pins (plural). They appear to all be of the same single broken pin. That demonstrates that at least one firing pin has broken, but nothing about how many others have broken.

As for who should be looking for the photos, the point already made bears repeating: When someone comes to a forum like this to make a new claim about something that hasn’t been reported much (if any) before, and especially someone who has no established record of accurate reporting, the burden of proof does not lie with those who question the claim. He was the one making the claim, and it isn’t up to anyone else to prove it for him. It would be no different than someone’s claiming that a porcelain teacup is in orbit around the sun between Jupiter and Saturn: He has the burden of proof if he expects the rest of us to believe it; no one else is required prove or disprove it.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47368 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Several (at least three) people, on a Sig P-365 Facebook site, said they had the tips break off their striker and some posted photos.
I have no reason to doubt them. If you want to, that's your choice.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Ooh, three! Well, there ya go.

Oh, BTW, does anyone happen to know how many P365 pistols have so far been issued by SIG? 10,000? More?

Also, how much do you think your P365 would have cost you if the pistol came with a machined bar stock striker?

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Sigfreund: I believe you to be correct about the bottom two pics; they were uploaded by the same person and used in different posts. This striker became broken during dry fire according to its owner. The first pic was posted by a different individual who who claimed that his striker came broken right out of the box, no live fire or dry fire (at least by him; no facts posted as to the prior history/handling of the gun other than it was insinuated to be 'new').

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Ooh, three! Well, there ya go.

Oh, BTW, does anyone happen to know how many P365 pistols have so far been issued by SIG? 10,000? More?

Also, how much do you think your P365 would have cost you if the pistol came with a machined bar stock striker?

I just got off the phone with Sig customer service and after a little prodding, he admitted to "a few". Probably not a lot, but if your pin is broken, when you really need it, that might be a problem.
As for me, when a machined striker becomes available, I'll bite the bullet and buy one, because everything else on the gun, has been perfect.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agksimon:
Probably not a lot, but if your pin is broken, when you really need it, that might be a problem.
Truly. As I always say- it's gotta go bang.

Think of all the new pistols introduced over the years that have had teething issues. Does anyone imagine broken strikers in P365 pistols produced a year from now?

And for a machined bar stock striker for the P365, I'll take a WAG and say that such an aftermarket part will cost you something like 75 bucks.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hell; between the gun, two extra 12 round mags and holster, I've got $650 tied up. What's another $75?

posted Hide Post
I have both and plan on keeping both. I like both quite a bit and I have little reason to sell a firearm.

Posts: 2188 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hit the thousand round mark with my 365 today. Mostly sig, and fed am eagle ammo. The firing pin on mine struck about a thousand primers and I have probably pulled the trigger on an empty chamber 25x.
So far so good. Just going to keep shooting it until something breaks and if it does then it goes back.
Great pistol.

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Back to the original question about giving up a P938 for a P365: Nope, not me.

My other SIGs are all TDA, aka DA / SA. The P938 is the first and only 1911-type pistol I have owned, and the first one of that type that I have carried since my Navy days, six decades ago (yeah, I really am a Geezer).

I find that I really like the little mini-1911 and in warmer weather, which means most of the time here in Florida, it is the firearm that I carry, now that I have had enough range time with it to be confident.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30548 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of agent1138
posted Hide Post
I shoot my 365 way better than my trusty 938 and the fact that I get 3-5 more rds in the relatively same size package, makes the decision to dump the 938 rather easy.

Keep Calm and Carry Concealed

Posts: 677 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
Just finished shooting the P365 at a local range with a CCW student and both of us liked it a lot. I found it a bit softer to shoot.

However, neither of us will replace the P938 with a P365. My student liked the 938 better in handling and I preferred the lesser weight (2 oz) even at the expense of lower capacity.

My student will not be buying one, while I will buy one for CCW instruction purposes.

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agent1138:
I shoot my 365 way better than my trusty 938 and the fact that I get 3-5 more rds in the relatively same size package, makes the decision to dump the 938 rather easy.

I had a PPS M2, that I thought was the best carry gun I ever had, for fit and accuracy, but with my P-365, I can make hits quite a bit faster and more accurately and it feels better to grip too. Both guns shoot very tight 25 yard groups (for their size), off a pistol rest, but the lower bore to grip axis, makes for faster recovery, with the P-365.

Big Stack
posted Hide Post
In 4-5 digit quantities, using automated CNC machining, especially if they did this with the 320 strikers also (maximizing the use of the equipment)? I'd bet no more than $5 their cost.

I'd turn the question around. How much more would the average buyer pay, knowing the striker was CNC bar stock, not MIM.

BTW, this problem has been popping up with Glock also. Some parts have a high enough stress that they shouldn't be made using MIM.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post