SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Anyone Giving Up Their P938 for the P365?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Anyone Giving Up Their P938 for the P365? Login/Join 
Member
Picture of fpuhan
posted
I'm still waiting to get my hands on a P365, but pretty much everything I've read so far tends to make me think one will be my next EDC, replacing my P938s (I have two).

My original P938 was one of the unfortunate models that made the trip to Exeter to have its guts rebuilt. From that time on, it's in my EDC rotation, but I don't feel I have 100% faith in it. The P365 seems to have all the features I like, plus the expanded capacity.

What do others think?




Don't believe everything you think.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member
 
Posts: 781 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
I'm still waiting to get my hands on a P365, but pretty much everything I've read so far tends to make me think one will be my next EDC, replacing my P938s (I have two).

My original P938 was one of the unfortunate models that made the trip to Exeter to have its guts rebuilt. From that time on, it's in my EDC rotation, but I don't feel I have 100% faith in it. The P365 seems to have all the features I like, plus the expanded capacity.

What do others think?


I used to own a P938. No issues with mine at all. Carried it for about 4 months. My reason for selling it was how snappy it was. I shoot my carry weapons almost every month. I haven't carried my P365 yet, but it has everything I liked about the P938, but none of the things I didn't. If that makes sense.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rockchalk06,
 
Posts: 584 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Now that my P938 is 100% reliable, I have no reason to change. I own one striker fired pistol. It will be my first and most likely my last, as a matter of fact I will sell it once the prices on used polymer guns go back up.
 
Posts: 1600 | Location: Escaped Upstate NY for Texas | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telling cops where to go for over 25 years
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
My P938 SAS is my most frequently carried gun because it easily slips into the front jeans pocket. I have about 500 rounds through it with no problems. Yes, a little snappy but no more so than the LCP and M&P 340 J-Frame that preceded it for pocket carry.

I am planning on getting a P365, and I am hoping it pocket carries just as easily. If so, it will likely replace my P938 for EDC.

Not sure if I will keep or sell the P938 though, I’ve been very happy with it (my second) and I didn’t have any problems with the first one. Just got a steal on the SAS so essentially traded up for no charge.





"Where MY free shit?!"

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???



 
Posts: 8026 | Location: Just stumbling through, trying to avoid a premature banjackulation of my own doing... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I have a P365 and have about 300 rounds of various brands and weights of ammo through it, without any malfunctions. Manufacture date on mine is March 27, 2018, which is the newer incarnation of the gun. It doesn't have any of the problems of the earlier ones; no barrel peening, sights falling apart, chambering problems, etc. A newer issue that they seem to be having is the tip of the striker breaking off. If you look at the ejected cartridge cases, you'll see a gouge in one direction on the primer dimple. This is from the striker not retracting fast enough, to get out of the way and is breaking off the tip of it. The strikers appear to be made from powdered metal, not a forging. If it was, it would be a lot stronger. I took mine apart and honed the top of the striker block, where the striker tab rides back over it, while retracting. It is retracting faster and smoother now and I will be at the range today to test it and report back here, on the results.
 
Posts: 12 | Registered: April 15, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agksimon:
I have a P365 and have about 300 rounds of various brands and weights of ammo through it, without any malfunctions. Manufacture date on mine is March 27, 2018, which is the newer incarnation of the gun. It doesn't have any of the problems of the earlier ones; no barrel peening, sights falling apart, chambering problems, etc. A newer issue that they seem to be having is the tip of the striker breaking off. If you look at the ejected cartridge cases, you'll see a gouge in one direction on the primer dimple. This is from the striker not retracting fast enough, to get out of the way and is breaking off the tip of it. The strikers appear to be made from powdered metal, not a forging. If it was, it would be a lot stronger. I took mine apart and honed the top of the striker block, where the striker tab rides back over it, while retracting. It is retracting faster and smoother now and I will be at the range today to test it and report back here, on the results.


Wow, if this is a sign of SIG's quality control, I'd be deeply worried about buying a gun from them now.




Don't believe everything you think.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member
 
Posts: 781 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
It is a shame Sig has fallen so far with some of their first run designs, except the 320. I had a first run P290 which felt great and shot great, when it would function. I had to send it back to Sig and could not feel confident with it. I would get a sub compact 320 instead of the 365 but that is just me. I like the overall feel and ergos of the 365 but it does not exude confidence from what I have been reading. I am debating on getting the 938 for a little ccw pistol as I have heard nothing but good things with it.
 
Posts: 4048 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
Wow, if this is a sign of SIG's quality control, I'd be deeply worried about buying a gun from them now.
I think that if you're that easily swayed, you should buy whatever the majority of people say you should buy, as long as it's not a SIG.

You're quoting and getting excited by one post- the FIRST post from a brand new user.

Some of you guys, I just have to wonder.

You can check my comments in this thread to see my position on this knee jerk nonsense.
 
Posts: 82169 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Addressing your original question: I feel about my Sig 938 the same as you feel about your 365. It was in 2013 when I bought it the perfect carry, and for me it still is.

My 938 has been reliable, accurate and is easy to carry all day long. 7+1 rounds is better than the 5 round I used to carry in my revolver, but I guess you can make the same case for 10+1 that the 365 offers.

Admittedly there is always a bit of temptation to get a new gun but I seriously doubt that I will be giving up my 938 for a 365 any time soon.
 
Posts: 126 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of SteveR2012
posted Hide Post
I really like my P938. It is my EDC and I have had no problems with it whatsoever. I dislike polymer and striker fired pistols, so I have no desire to get a P365.
 
Posts: 63 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I like my P938, only thing I wish is that I got the SAS version. Maybe when the P365 has some more reviews from the members here, supply picks up and holsters come out, I might look into it. But as of now, I'm good with my P938.


_____________

Edmond
 
Posts: 8950 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
Picture of soggy_spinout
posted Hide Post
In my mind, the P365 at this point is still too new with little track record to place one's complete faith in. The reported striker breakages from repeated dry fire (no snap cap)--something us Glock owners quite often, right or wrong, take for granted--is a troubling concern if it's proven true. Certainly that should be something that gives pause to any adoption; after all, would a cumulative number of dry fire function checks ultimately cause the same kind of failure as doing a session or two of dry fire trigger control training? Using a snap cap addresses the dry fire practice session, but how often do you grab for a snap cap to do a function check after cleaning or reassembling your gun?
 
Posts: 8100 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Since my last posting yesterday, I went to the range to do an accuracy test, with my P365 and was amazed with the accuracy of this little gun.
I bench rested it at 25 yards, using my favorite load of American Eagle, 124 grain fmj and was shooting groups of 2 to 3 inches with it, right on target. The work I did on it, honing the top of the striker safety, to allow the striker tab to not bind, as it was moving back, helped a little and the gouges in the primer, are slightly less than they were, before I worked on it.

I was in contact with Lakeland LLC, a major company that manufactures aftermarket parts for various guns and they are working on a machined steel striker for the P365, that won't break as easily as the Metal Injected Molded one that Sig installs in the gun. You can sign up at their website, for eMail on new product releases. As soon as they're released, I'll be first in line, to buy one.

I would like to post photos of my target, but can't find a reliable, free photo site hosting service. Who do you guys use?
 
Posts: 12 | Registered: April 15, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Where are the reports of P365 firing pin tips breaking off? If it were happening, I would expect to see it here of all places. And if the firing pin/striker is a similar design as the P320’s, there has been plenty of time for the problem to show up with that model.

And if people are assuming that because the striker causes a “swipe” mark on the primer then the tip is bound to break off, that’s pure, unadulterated ignorance. I posted about this not long ago, but here it is again: As pictured below, that drag mark that’s caused by the firing pin’s remaining in contact with the primer as the barrel unlocks has always been a characteristic of SIG Classic line and P320 pistols. If it led to the tips of the firing pins or strikers breaking off, the company would have gone out of business long ago and we wouldn’t be talking about the P365 because it would have never come into existence.

But I could be wrong: Where are the reports that the tips of P365 strikers break off right and left? Show me and I’ll be convinced it’s happening (but not that the primer drag is responsible).





“I can’t give you brains, but I can give you a diploma.”
— The Wizard of Oz
 
Posts: 37930 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
The primer "smear" from my P365, were worse than those you show in your photo. I was able to alleviate some of it, by honing the top of the striker safety, where the striker tab rides over the top of it.
The owner of Lakeland LLC, send me a message explaining the problem, as seen below:

The primer smear, or drag, is pretty normal in micro pistols. Most all of the tiniest Kahrs do it, LC9s, etc. There just isn't enough room to not have the barrel moving before the pin is completely disengaged with everything that needs to happen in a very short time and distance.

By having the firing pin be MIM, Sig was able to put a bunch of detail in it that reduced the number and complexity of other parts. However, that makes the firing pin more complex than usual and more difficult to machine. (End of his message)

Being made of MIM, it's weaker than a machined steel one, which he is working on. Since the swiping problem can't be eliminated, making a stronger striker should produce a cure. He makes them for the small Kahr pistols and they appear to work well.
 
Posts: 12 | Registered: April 15, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The cases with the drag marks shown above came from P220s and a P226 or P229, so to reiterate: the phenomenon has long been a characteristic of SIG pistols without having resulted in any problems. I have P320 cases showing the same thing. The degree of drag varies among different pistols and cartridges, but the cause is the same. But show me examples of actual tip break failures and I’ll blame them on the P365 striker. Until then, it’s just speculation and something to increase aftermarket sales, or at least more interest in the company that claims there’s a problem and that they’re hot on the trail of a solution. And of course the factory striker is a MIM part precisely for the reason you cite: machining such a part will be difficult and expensive.




“I can’t give you brains, but I can give you a diploma.”
— The Wizard of Oz
 
Posts: 37930 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Since I can't seem to post photos here, anyone wants to see photos of a Sig P365, with the striker tip broke off, PM me with your email address and I'll forward them to you.
 
Posts: 12 | Registered: April 15, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
Picture of soggy_spinout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Where are the reports of P365 firing pin tips breaking off? If it were happening, I would expect to see it here of all places. And if the firing pin/striker is a similar design as the P320’s, there has been plenty of time for the problem to show up with that model.

And if people are assuming that because the striker causes a “swipe” mark on the primer then the tip is bound to break off, that’s pure, unadulterated ignorance. I posted about this not long ago, but here it is again: As pictured below, that drag mark that’s caused by the firing pin’s remaining in contact with the primer as the barrel unlocks has always been a characteristic of SIG Classic line and P320 pistols. If it led to the tips of the firing pins or strikers breaking off, the company would have gone out of business long ago and we wouldn’t be talking about the P365 because it would have never come into existence.

But I could be wrong: Where are the reports that the tips of P365 strikers break off right and left? Show me and I’ll be convinced it’s happening (but not that the primer drag is responsible).


Look for a couple of threads on that other SIG-centric forum site.
 
Posts: 8100 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Well, we have gone off topic- somewhat. But, I plan to keep my p938. I am very comfortable with it and it is a great shooter. I have no doubts about the p365 and it’s probably good to have yet I will stick with what I am most comfortable...for now.
 
Posts: 388 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agksimon:
Since I can't seem to post photos here, anyone wants to see photos of a Sig P365, with the striker tip broke off, PM me with your email address and I'll forward them to you.


Get an account on IMGUR, Postimage, upload your images there for free and then paste the URL into your post.

10 Free Image hosting services



"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." Winston Churchill
 
Posts: 11591 | Location: Mouseville, FL | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Anyone Giving Up Their P938 for the P365?

© SIGforum 2018