SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig 365 Ammunition
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig 365 Ammunition Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
If we are talking about terminal performance, only the size of the permanent wound cavity matters. Energy is only a part of the means to get a bigger or deeper wound channel.

Whatever, I'll bow out so you can go back to judging things based on ft-lbs of "energy."

If your only goal is to kill the person shot in the same amount of time, then energy is only a means to an end.

I can't prove it (at least not via legal and moral means), but I firmly believe that more energy will disrupt the ability of the person shot to fight back before they die.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TexasRaider
posted Hide Post
You know what's coming next, if it's not already up on YouTube. Yep, the DIY ballistics expert working out of his garage.

Que up the wannabe YT star whose videos always seem to have an intro infused with annoying generic rock music set over a cheesy spinning logo (made with some free downloaded software) that usually features skulls, gun smoke or freshly fired brass flying around. Next, the host will explain why his 'scientific tests', comprised of shooting this new ammo into in some ballistic jello he bought online in bulk, is a serious indicator of that round's potential success in self defense scenarios. Maybe he'll throw some denim or an old leather jacket over the block, just to make sure all scenarios are covered.

One can imagine what goes on in his mind:
"Clearly the geniuses at the FBI can identify the perfect defensive handgun round by blasting big homogenous blocks of jello that, unlike humans, don't have any bones, organs, sinew, nerve bundles that react to being shot, emotional or psychological reactions to being shot and can't move a single millimeter while being shot. Well, if the FBI can do it I can too, I'll be a handgun ballistic expert in my own backyard! I'll measure the weight and width of the expended round! That means something! Don't know what, but it means something! Boy, am I a badass! Now, let's shoot some water soaked newspapers! Then some clay! I gotta an idea! Let's dunk the f***ing gun into water, then sand, then dirt, then mud! That can definitively determine what gun I should carry when I walk through the harrowing, violent reality that is my life working at Autozone, where death lurks around every corner!"

I think this ammo is a gimmick. And seriously, I bet there's already a video "test" of this stuff already up.....

Posts: 794 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: June 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once I can buy a firing pin that isn't made of old Coke cans for it I'll be running Gold Dots in my 365 just like every other carry gun I use.

Posts: 2188 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
If we are talking about terminal performance, only the size of the permanent wound cavity matters. Energy is only a part of the means to get a bigger or deeper wound channel.

Whatever, I'll bow out so you can go back to judging things based on ft-lbs of "energy."

Energy is a measure of the kinetic physical value of the mass moving downrange, so yes, it is a crucial value.

As stated, ballistic coefficient is another; don't post a link to one cartridge to prove your point about another, then disparage a poster for calling your bluff. Simply because two cartridges have the same weight proves exactly squat, as it's an irrelevant comparison.

If you feel driven to run "365" in your handgun, whatever it may be, knock yourself out.

I suspect many of us, if not most of us, will stick with what we know functions and performs and what is recognized as performing. There's nothing about the advertised values of "365" which would lead me to abandon other quality ammunition (such as Gold Dot) in favor of the "365."

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post