SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Benefits to running a soild guide rod in my M11-A1?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Benefits to running a soild guide rod in my M11-A1? Login/Join 
Picture of rockchalk06
posted
I received a new black soild guide from Galloway Precision as a gift from a coworker. Other than my two Legions, my P22X Sigs have what’s stock. I’m curious to see what the overall benefits will be.

Thanks

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Some claim they can feel the extra weight. Other than that, if that is a benefit in the first place, I think that is all you might notice.

I put a steel guide rod in a Beretta I had that came with a plastic one. The weight was noticeable, and it looked better. There was no improvement in function.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some claim the added weight helps with reducing muzzle flip. Possibly, but you cant prove it by me.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can brag to anyone that cares (read: no one).

The weight difference is negligible, I doubt 99% could tell the difference in a blind taste test.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
The other potential benefit of a solid, slighty wider guide rod is preventing a bad recoil spring from jumping the guide rod and binding the gun. IIRC, Mr Bruce Gray mentioned that as a benefit of the GGI solid guide rod.

From their website "Being made to the maximum nominal diameter to fit each pistol perfectly, our FAT rods also eliminate the possibility of coil-jumping"

https://grayguns.com/product/c...ess-steel-guide-rod/

No idea of the guide rod you received would do that, or what the odds of that ever happening are, but it is a touted benefit.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
The other potential benefit of a solid, slighty wider guide rod is preventing a bad recoil spring from jumping the guide rod and binding the gun. IIRC, Mr Bruce Gray mentioned that as a benefit of the GGI solid guide rod.

From their website "Being made to the maximum nominal diameter to fit each pistol perfectly, our FAT rods also eliminate the possibility of coil-jumping"

No idea of the guide rod you received would do that, or what the odds of that ever happening are, but it is a touted benefit.

Thanks Rhino! This is indeed a claimed benefit for our FAT rods, along with our reasoned belief that they may extend spring life by supporting the spring as it contracts in a most linear fashion.

If the OP wants to try one, please write me at bruce@grayguns.com. I’ll send you one as a favour.

-Bruce

Designer and custom pistolsmith at Grayguns Inc. Privileged to be R&D consultant to the world's greatest maker of fine firearms: SIG SAUER

Visit us at http://opspectraining.com/product-cat/videos/ to order yours, and Thank You for making GGI the leader in custom SIG and HK pistolsmithing and high-grade components.

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.
Grayguns.com / 888.585.4729

Posts: 9526 | Location: Reedsport & Spray, Oregon | Registered: October 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I can feel the difference on a 228 or 229. It does help with muzzle flip a noticeable bit.

Honest!

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
Only benefits I had from running solid guide rods were totally aesthetic.
Didn't seem to feel any different shooting them.

And I've had a few... Roll Eyes

Posts: 4359 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grayguns:
quote:

Thanks Rhino! This is indeed a claimed benefit for our FAT rods, along with our reasoned belief that they may extend spring life by supporting the spring as it contracts in a most linear fashion.

If the OP wants to try one, please write me at bruce@grayguns.com. I’ll send you one as a favour.

-Bruce

Bruce,

I appreciate that sir. I need to order one of your triggers as well. I will send you an email asap.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thank you