SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Are all aftermarket Glock triggers created equal?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are all aftermarket Glock triggers created equal? Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
In the market for a whole new trigger kit for my Gen 3 19 (bout 15 years old now). Trigger, trigger bar, plunger, all that jazz. The gun needs a rehab, so I was thinking about going all out.

The plethora of trigger kits for the Glock is overwhelming.

Is there any discernible difference, aside from the trigger shape itself, between Apex, Agency, CMC, Zev, Pyramid, etc.? Pretty wide variety of prices. Just looking for a good carry trigger.

Also, recs for an extended mag release? Not too oversized, but bigger than factory? Vickers?

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
With some the geometry is slightly different. Allowing for more leverage than others, etc. The connector and springs play a good role with things such as reset. I have ZEV, Pyramid, and Salient triggers in my Glocks right now. I tried five or so connectors with some of the triggers to get the best reset possible. The spring rates help with the trigger pull weight as needed. I guess I'm trying to say there isn't a 'best' thing out there.

As for me, My trigger of choice right now is a Salient trigger in my Gen2 model 22 converted to 9mm
A close second would be a Pyramid trigger in a Gen4 model 41 converted to .38 Super.
Yeah, I have a hard time keeping them the way they came.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
Every one I know with a DK trigger swears it's the best. I don't know as my glocks are mostly stock.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
Oat, I have a factory Glock oversized mag release for the gen3 in my stockpile. If you want it, just say the word and it's yours. All I need is an address.

E-mail in my profile.

Posts: 10748 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a ZEV fulcrum in mine and it makes a huge difference. It has a better feel than the stock one as it is wider for your finger and has a very smooth pull. I replaced the connector with the lighter one that came with the kit,(they don't recommend it for carry as it is very light but I use it for range/competition only). It is very nice and comfortable to shoot. Some people do not like them but I like it a lot.

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
I hope you didn't want a consensus answer! I've had several different brands, but prefer the Travis Haley Skimmer for carry. Shorter take up, crisp break and reset, but not overly light. I've got Zev and Apex in some but the Skimmer is my preference.

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ ++ I Really like the haley skimmer n my glocks, I've tried the others except for overwatch precision, which I might try in a g26.

Posts: 426 | Registered: January 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Be cautious with aftermarket triggers, particularly the ones which remove all or most of the "pre-travel" as the defeat the internal safety features of the Glock.

The Pyramid trigger in particular defeats the internal safeties but they are not the only one.

Also will this gun be used for self defense ? Many of the aftermarket triggers are not as reliable as factory parts if you are training regularly. I know of one large LE agency which tried ZEV triggers in their SWAT issue Glocks and returned to factory parts with minus connectors after several mechanical failures.

The ZEV does maintain the internal safety functions as do the Apex and the Robar / Glock Kraft triggers.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know of one large LE agency which tried ZEV triggers in their SWAT issue Glocks and returned to factory parts with minus connectors after several mechanical failures.

In the other Glock aftermarket trigger thread, it was reported that ZEVs can have issues with light strikes, particularly if the factory striker spring is replaced by one of ZEV's lighter springs. My MOS had the lighter 2lb spring installed by me; light strikes galore, ZEV spring no more. Lesson learned.

I've had pretty good results using just the ZEV trigger bar alone with the remainder factory parts, and with the complete ZEV trigger assembly. It's when I get into the slide with ZEV-supplied parts that I seem to get into trouble.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
I like the feel of the Pyramid trigger best of all that I have tried, including Zev. I have it in Gen 4 19. Smile

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2759 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I have the most time behind Glockkraft/Overwatch Precision triggers. No failures, passes the drop test, and coupled with the oem (-) connector and 6# spring, makes for a great trigger press and reset.
My carry 19 has one.
As do six of my other Glocks.

I've also spent a lot of time behind the Apex Tactical trigger. A little longer take-up but otherwise almost as good as the Overwatch. My carry 26 has one.

I've removed the Agency Arms trigger from one of my guns. At first I liked it, but it's a bit creepy and the geometry is such that I don't trust it as much as the two mentioned above.

As for extended releases, I like Vickers the best, although I don't have one in a gen 3. My wife's gen3 19 has a modified Glock extended release that she loves. I personally think it sticks out too much.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Has anyone done the Zev Professional kit with their Skeletonized Firing Pin. Was this part of the light strike issue or did you use the drop in Pro kit with the lighter springs, san firing pin.

They say the benefit of adding the Skeletonized Firing Pin is its lighter construction, polished, and the tip of the firing pin is extended for more positive primer ignition.

I want to put one in the G40 as it's a range toy and would like to improve the trigger as much as possible for target.

Posts: 23423 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the opinions, folks.

Bionic: Thanks for the offer. I'll email you.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why do you think it needs a rehab? I've found that Glocks, especially triggers, get better with use.

Posts: 17142 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK maybe I'm different. But there is not even the smallest, slightest chance I would put an aftermarket trigger in a glock carry gun.
I shoot ton's of competition rounds with a glock and I've tried a number of aftermarket parts over the years. In general mostly they work, but NONE of them work to the reliability I've had with standard glock parts. That's a couple of decades of testing and 100's of thousands of rounds.
Just don't do it.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agony:
I have the most time behind Glockkraft/Overwatch Precision triggers. No failures, passes the drop test, and coupled with the oem (-) connector and 6# spring, makes for a great trigger press and reset.
My carry 19 has one.
As do six of my other Glocks.

I've also spent a lot of time behind the Apex Tactical trigger. A little longer take-up but otherwise almost as good as the Overwatch. My carry 26 has one.

I've removed the Agency Arms trigger from one of my guns. At first I liked it, but it's a bit creepy and the geometry is such that I don't trust it as much as the two mentioned above.

As for extended releases, I like Vickers the best, although I don't have one in a gen 3. My wife's gen3 19 has a modified Glock extended release that she loves. I personally think it sticks out too much.

Did you go with the TAC or DAC Overwatch shoe?

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
Did you go with the TAC or DAC Overwatch shoe?

Both.
I was an early adopter of the original GK trigger which is essentially the same as the DAT. However I much prefer the TAC. That little hook at the bottom doesn't look like much but I prefer the way it feels compared to the DAT. YMMV.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post