SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Has anybody sent a revolver back to S&W to be reblued ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anybody sent a revolver back to S&W to be reblued ? Login/Join 
Picture of spunk639
posted
I have a model 10 2" that was my backup gun and off duty gun after 30+ years of holster wear and thousands upon thousands of rounds it's bluing has really faded. Anyone here have experience with S&W doing a rebluing?

Posts: 2774 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
Earlier this year I sent a 1977 Model 36 Chief's Special to S&W for a check-up. While speaking with the tech, I inquired about a factory refinish. As I recall, the cost he quoted was in the ~$200 range. In addition, the tech advised me the revolver would receive their modern black oxide finish, not the classic high polish blue found on revolvers of this vintage. I opted to keep the revolver original even though the finish was somewhat damaged from years of improper storage in a leather holster.

Posts: 3505 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My buddy sent his model 36 to S&W for re-bluing and it came out really nice. Very old model 36 that was handed down from his father and carried allot.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When was it refinished? They quit bluing and went with flat black a couple of years ago. Personally, I'd go with something like a Robar finish.

Posts: 17142 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
When was it refinished? They quit bluing and went with flat black a couple of years ago. Personally, I'd go with something like a Robar finish.

Important to note that ROBAR is out of business, or shut down shop some time back and now their services are carried on by Wright Armory I believe. One would have to google search. Was looking at refinishing a Stainless CBOB earlier this year and realized ROBAR is no longer in business.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
Info on Wright....

Wright Armory is now the exclusive distributor of NP3®, NP3 Plus®, and Armor Lube® to the Firearms Industry for the Western United States.
https://wrightarmory.com/np3-metal-finishing/

After The Robar Companies closed it’s doors for good, Wright Armory struck a deal to ensure the Firearms Community still has access to the incredible NP3® performance finishes we have all come to know and love over the past 30 years as well as Duralar® Armorlube™, and other traditional metal finishes.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
Fords custom gun refinishing in Fla. Does excellent bluing. Good luck. Pickle Rick!

Posts: 2876 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll second Ford's in central Florida. They re-blued a P220 slide & re-cut all the lettering for me last summer.

About 8 weeks at the time.

Glad to hear that NP3 is available, my first P220 has that as a two-tone, still kicking 26 years & many rounds later. When I saw Robar were no longer offering re-finish, I never thought to follow-up & check again, gave it up as lost.

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1936 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have seen a couple Ford's refinished guns and they look nice. I have a model 36 I thought about sending in but their lead times are pretty long now. According to the website, it is 20-24 weeks unless you pay an additional $300.00 for the rush job and it is 8 weeks turn-around. Sometimes it may or may not be worth it.

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
Ford's will do a superior job to both the current factory blue and what was offered when your revolver was NEW.

Ford's also has the ability to freshen up the revolver's markings if they look buffed out or faded.

You just need to be patient since they are always backlogged

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never been much of a fan of refinishing
If the gun is not actively rusting it will remain serviceable.
If you use and carry a refinished gun it will eventually need to be refinished again
Any scuffs and wear to me are like a history of the gun and carriers life, why wipe that away
Also bear in mind a finish worn 300 dollar gun after refinishing will still only be a $300 gun. In most cases a refinished gun is worth less than the same gun worn and unrefinished.
I have a J frame that rode many a time in an ankle holster with lots of areas of shiny bear metal.
Despite rough treatment from rain snow and salty slush in winter ever a spot of rust.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sent a model 10 4” to S&W for refinishing and was very happy with the result!

Posts: 251 | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post