SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Should I trade my horrible SR22P for a Ruger Mark II?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Should I trade my horrible SR22P for a Ruger Mark II? Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted
I have a Ruger SR22P that I bought a few years back to teach my kids to shoot. The long and short of it is it's a POS. Its only redeeming features are it fits small hands and has low recoil. It's inaccurate, has a HORRIFIC trigger, and the mag disconnect is stupid. It's a decent gun to get a kid started on, but they quickly tire of it because the trigger is so bad it's hard to keep them motivated when they cant put up a decent group or hit what they're aiming at.

The gun also has trouble extracting unfired rounds. It's reliable when shooting because the recoil helps with extraction, but the extractor doesn't do a great job grabbing the rim when manually racking the slide, so it sometimes leaves an unfired round in the chamber. This makes it a poor platform to teach safe administrative gun handling...which the most important thing I'm trying to teach them.

The other day I was at a local gun store, and saw they had a used Mark II in the case for $219. They're selling SR22s new for $350, and while mine is used it's in good shape and I still have the box and all the extras for it, so I imagine I might be able to wrangle a decent trade. Is this something I should consider, or should I steer clear?

Posts: 8415 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Letmethinkaboutityes.

Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Why haven’t you done it already is the real question. Arguably, the Mark II is the best one they made. I know the newest one is easier to disassemble bu the Mk II was the last generation to not have a magazine disconnect.

Posts: 12434 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Do it.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why haven’t you done it already is the real question.

Well, maybe "local" gun store was a bit of a stretch. It's about an hour away, and I saw it last week when I was over that way for something else. Earliest I'd be able to get back over there is Wednesday. I wanted to get the background on it first, anyway, and it seems like the consensus is go for it. Hopefully it's still there.

Posts: 8415 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is an awesome deal on the MKII. I agree with the others, you should get it at that price. I never find any good deals like this.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pursuing the wicked
Picture of rangemaster
posted Hide Post
Ok, I’ll be “that guy”

Why would you pass on a shitty gun to become someone else’s problem? Ruger has great customer service. Why haven’t you sent it back for a service?

As for the mark II you should just buy it at that price.

Posts: 1620 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: December 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OP, Yes.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Given your experience with the SR22P, it would seem like there is no reason to keep it. If the Mark II would fill your needs for getting the kids comfortable with firearms, seems like it would be the way to go.

I had almost the same thing happen to me once. Saw a P226 browsing through a case during lunch. Turned it over in my head for a bit. Wound up driving back and getting the Sig that afternoon.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post

I have 2 Mark IIs, S&W 63, Beretta 87BB, and a S&W MP22C.

The SR22P never interested me and the only reason I have the MP22C is the lightweight for the young ones to learn with.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
$219? Better snag it before it's gone. It will surely be more accurate, easier to hit with and more reliable. The only thing stopping me from saying "hell yes!" instead of just "yes" is that pre-Mark IV guns are reputed to be difficult to strip for cleaning. (I only have first-hand experience with a Mark IV, a 22/45 Lite I bought in 2017.)

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Ruger MK II or Browning Buckmark. Period. Embellish with Volquartsen and Tactical Solutions products as desired.

Is there really any other choice? No there is not.

Just what is this Ruger SR22P crap of which you speak? I am unfamiliar with such products that excel in their crapulence.

$219? No brainer.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
There are tons of used Rugers around. The metal frame models are excellent as are the Browning Buckmark. If you still want something for smaller hands consider the M&P 22 Compact. Mine has been outstanding as a plinker with decent accuracy and eats anything and is extremely reliable.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rangemaster:
Ok, I’ll be “that guy”

Why would you pass on a shitty gun to become someone else’s problem? Ruger has great customer service. Why haven’t you sent it back for a service?

As for the mark II you should just buy it at that price.

Because where I live, shipping a gun is PITA. It's an hour and a half to the nearest Fedex shipping center that will accept a gun. Not to mention, apart from the goofy live-round extraction issue, the gun runs 100%, so they'd likely just send it back and tell me there's nothing wrong with it. It's not a reliability problem...I just don't like the gun. So best case, assuming there is something that they do fix, and Ruger picks up the shipping, I'm driving 3 hours to ship it, then sitting around all day waiting for Fedex to show up whenever they please (in my experience, "between 8:00 and Noon is just a suggestion) so I can sign for it. If Ruger doesn't pay for shipping, it's all that, and I'm out $70. And at the end of the day I'm still stuck with a gun I don't like that doesn't meet my needs.

I called the store back today and they still have it. We are driving that way tomorrow on our way to family for thanksgiving, so I may stop and see if I can wrangle a deal.

Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
No...not for the Mark II. Get the Mark IV. The Mark 1-III are pita to put back together. Get the Mark IV and don't look back.

Not a fan of the .22 mini full size guns. The M&P, the SR22, the Mosquitos...

Just get a ruger Mark 4, browning buckmark, s&w victory, etc.

Posts: 1343 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Mark 2 and 3 are great and quite straightforward to take apart and put back together. And they don't have the annoying ambi safety digging into your hand.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3181 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote here for the SW .22 Compact. I've had the SR 22 and I think the Smith is by far the better gun. Also have a Ruger MKIV with a VQ Trigger Kit in it that is more accurate than I will ever be. The trigger is now fantastic.

Posts: 127 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmm... my SR22 has a pretty good trigger. And has been fully reliable. I understand it would be a PITA to ship it back to Ruger, but I would do it.
And a new MKIV would be a great pistol, too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Yes, you should pick up that MKII. They are great guns.

I picked up a MKIII the other day for $160 in box with 2 mags. Don't really have a need for it but at that price I couldn't pass it up.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Mk II bull barrel
I wish it was a Mk IV bull barrel

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post