SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Should I trade my horrible SR22P for a Ruger Mark II?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Should I trade my horrible SR22P for a Ruger Mark II? Login/Join 
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
um. yes.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have 2 MkIIs, great handguns. Thought about the MkIV but cannot justify changing.

Posts: 648 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Well, I tried. I went back to the store, and the mk2 was gone. They had a mk1 and a mk3 22/45. They wanted $300 for the mk1, and were only going to give me $200 for my SR22. I looked at the gun, but it was pretty rough and absolutely filthy. The bore was so bad you couldn't see any rifling at all. It's possible it would have cleaned up, but with me looking at having to drop $100 out of pocket on top of my trade, I didn't want to take the risk of discovering what years of obvious neglect had wrought.

The MK3 was in better shape, and they were only asking $220 for it, but I didn't like the plastic receiver or the LCI and mag disconnect stupidity, so I passed on that one too. I'll keep my eyes open...I'm sure something will come along.

Posts: 8415 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Well, I tried. I went back to the store, and the mk2 was gone. They had a mk1 and a mk3 22/45. They wanted $300 for the mk1, and were only going to give me $200 for my SR22. I looked at the gun, but it was pretty rough and absolutely filthy. The bore was so bad you couldn't see any rifling at all. It's possible it would have cleaned up, but with me looking at having to drop $100 out of pocket on top of my trade, I didn't want to take the risk of discovering what years of obvious neglect had wrought.

The MK3 was in better shape, and they were only asking $220 for it, but I didn't like the plastic receiver or the LCI and mag disconnect stupidity, so I passed on that one too. I'll keep my eyes open...I'm sure something will come along.

Browning buckmark standard!!!

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
YES

Posts: 3495 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I've a Ruger Mk I. First handgun I ever bought/owned. Thing digests anything and shoots like a dream. Personally, I think the take-down/reassembly woes people complain about are way overblown.

I have several Rugers. Ruger and Sig are my two favourite firearms makers.

That being said: I'm going to suggest something outrageous. You might wish to consider taking a close look at the Taurus TX22. I've read nothing but praise for that new little 22. American Rifleman just did a review of it and Taurus' new 9mm. I skipped the 9mm review, because I'm not in the market. The TX22 review read just like everything else I've read about the pistol. I think I'm going to own a TX22 eventually.

In fact: I might well have had one on order with one of my LGS' right this moment if I hadn't spent so much money on Other Things lately.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Yes, by all means get a MKII, and then get a Volquartzen trigger kit for it.

I put one in my MKII Competition model, it will amaze you.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^

I had three MkIIIs and all had Volquartsen triggers installed even before I fired a single round. Also while having the guns in pieces, removed the mag disconnects (using a Sam bushing), removed the Loaded Chamber Indicators, and replaced the extractors with Kidd parts. I referred to my MkIIIs as Mk2.5s.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I've a Ruger Mk I. First handgun I ever bought/owned. Thing digests anything and shoots like a dream. Personally, I think the take-down/reassembly woes people complain about are way overblown.

I have several Rugers. Ruger and Sig are my two favourite firearms makers.

That being said: I'm going to suggest something outrageous. You might wish to consider taking a close look at the Taurus TX22. I've read nothing but praise for that new little 22. American Rifleman just did a review of it and Taurus' new 9mm. I skipped the 9mm review, because I'm not in the market. The TX22 review read just like everything else I've read about the pistol. I think I'm going to own a TX22 eventually.

In fact: I might well have had one on order with one of my LGS' right this moment if I hadn't spent so much money on Other Things lately.

There have been numerous reported problems with barrel quality resulting in heavy leading and loss of accuracy on the TX22 and wear issue on the slide concerns alnong with complaints about their customer service. To me it makes much more sense to spend a little extra for the Ruger or Browning Buckmark as they are far superior and much more accurate pistols.

https://www.thehighroad.org/in...s-tx22.847391/page-2

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Absolutely.
I taught my daughter how to shoot with the very same POS pistol. It was cheap, taught her basics but it eventually got replaced by a good Ruger.
After learning basics, she was happier than Hell to have a good pistol.
She moved on to a 380 and eventually a 9mm.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Letmethinkaboutityes.

Let me think about tittys? Yes!

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
There have been numerous reported problems with barrel quality resulting in heavy leading and loss of accuracy on the TX22 and wear issue on the slide concerns alnong with complaints about their customer service. To me it makes much more sense to spend a little extra for the Ruger or Browning Buckmark as they are far superior and much more accurate pistols.

https://www.thehighroad.org/in...s-tx22.847391/page-2

That's disappointing. I guess I'll pass, then.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depends on your goals. I am an instructor and I always carry an SR22 with me for my students. Why? It’s has a slide that operates like most semi autos, had an SA/DA trigger, and a decocker. All great features in a gun. If you can shoot one well, you can shoot almost anything.

As to the MK series guns, I have a lot of experience with those as well. The MK2 is a great classic. However, it is needlessly heavy, hard to take down and will frustrate you. There is a reason it is only $200.

I would suggest that you consider a 22/45 Lite model. Your son will likely appreciate the ease of use a lot better. It’s an awesome gun to shoot and a lot you can do with one. You will need to pay out of pocket and I wouldn’t expect to get an even trade on the MK2 anyway. A basic MK22/45 is great. But I can be easily modded into a great performance gun that can be used for either bullseye or steel plate. It also can accept an RMR with ease too.

Frankly, if you start with the MK 2 you will end up with a 22/45 anyway Smile

Another good 22 option I also use a tom is a Walther PPQ .22. It’s a full-size gun just like a PPQ with a 5”.

Good luck!

Posts: 11 | Registered: November 30, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post