SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New Colt Defender - Opinions?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Colt Defender - Opinions? Login/Join 
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted
I was originally trained on 1911s. The first gun I carried for serious purpose was a Colt 1911. Till I had enough money to buy something else.

Over the years I had multiple bad experiences with 1911s, all of them new Kimbers. I stayed with more reliable platforms.

But these days, disgusted with a sea of striker fired plastic, I find myself tempted by Colts new Defender. I have shot a stainless model and it has been reliable in my hands for about 350 rounds of mixed ammo. I am debating buying it.

So to the Owners of Colt Defenders here, what is your opinion of them? Reliable? Accurate? Thanks for your time! Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
What caliber? (45 I'm guessing?)
I've had 2 Defenders in 45. Both were reliable with fmj and hit or miss with jhp's. I've since sold them all and just have Commander size as my smallest 1911 in 45.
If you're looking at the 9mm I do have a new Defender and it has been pretty good with all ammo however, I just picked up a Springfield EMP4 9mm and like it far better that the Colt. In fact the Colt will be put up in the classifieds this weekend.

Chris

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The defenders are about as reliable as officer's sized 1911s get. But you are not getting a platform that will run like a 5" or even 4.25" 1911. You'd have to test out carry ammo carefully with it to make sure it will run.

I would look at other platforms for 45 acp compacts. Although slightly larger and thicker than an officer's size 1911, getting a Sig p220 compact SAS or P220 COR BSS may be the ticket. I had a P220 compact with decocker in the past that ran with any hp ammo I tried. Keep in mind that the 220 compact has a 3.9" barrel and only holds 6+1 rounds with flush fitting magazines. It can also be used with 8 and 10 Rd p220 mags with adapter sleeves.

I found myself carrying a g26 or a g29sf most of the time. I sold my p220 compact and a basically unfired p220 compact sao here years ago.

Posts: 712 | Location: FL | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Yes! The 45 caliber version of the Defender. Sorry!

I have a S&W CS9 that covers all my 9mm needs. Regards 18DAI

Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Have you given any consideration to the Sig 1911 Ultra. It has a very high success rating from owners. Mine has been 100%, feeds, shoots and extracts everything ive tried. Superb carry weapon. Available in Two tone and black nitron.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Compactsig
posted Hide Post
I've had Defenders in both 45 and 9mm. They're accurate and reliable. Actually I've had 3" 1911s by Colt, Kimber, Sig and a couple of others. All have been great!!!!

Posts: 101 | Location: Treasure Coast, Florida | Registered: June 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
This is brand spanking new, but I figured I'd put it out there. Apparently Ruger is coming out with an Officer-ish model. I say -ish, because it's a 3.6" barrel, between a true 3" officer and a 4.25" commander (should we call this a Lt Commander, maybe?).

https://www.thefirearmblog.com...uger-sr1911-officer/

Remington recently released something like this, which I posted. I was quickly reminded it was a Remington. This one isn't. For rack grade 1911s, isn't Ruger pretty well regarded? Of course it's a brand new gun. If someone doesn't want to be the guinea pig, they can be forgiven. But it is a new option.

Of course this post needs a pic...

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have owned my two Colt Defenders for some time now. I have run a fair amount of ammo through both, and I have never considered selling them......if that tells you anything.

Posts: 6613 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
I have had the 9mm Defender for a number of years. Runs like a top. It is flawless with Colt mags...hiccups some with Wilsons....so I just run it with the Colt mags and its off and going. Only thing I have done to it is to add some VZ Predator Green grips.

0:01

Posts: 4206 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P6shooter
posted Hide Post
I suggest the SIG Ultra Compact 1911. Mine is beautifully made and perfectly reliable with any ammo that I feed it.

Posts: 820 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: May 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arflattop
posted Hide Post
I have carried a factory brown cerakote defender for a couple of years in an owb holster. It’s .45 caliber and will accept mec-gar full sized mags with an adapter, giving me extra capacity ( available from Greg cote).

The fact that I trust my life with it says it all.

JPFO Life Member

Posts: 1216 | Location: Heartland of KY | Registered: January 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a 45 Defender. It's was reliable with hardball. It was selective about which hollow point loads it would feed though.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the New Agent version in .45. It works flawlessly. It’s my last 1911 but its a sweet gun for carry and dependability..

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
This is brand spanking new, but I figured I'd put it out there. Apparently Ruger is coming out with an Officer-ish model. I say -ish, because it's a 3.6" barrel, between a true 3" officer and a 4.25" commander (should we call this a Lt Commander, maybe?).

Actually, the OACP has a 3.5” barrel. Every time I’m tempted to try a Defender, I can’t convince myself why it would be better than an Officer’s. Given the value of Colts these days, that Ruger looks like a fairly attractive deal.

Posts: 516 | Registered: October 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have both .45 and 9mm Defenders and have carried both. Both love HSTs 124gr, my normal defensive round.

Bill

Posts: 137 | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
Have the new model Colt .45 Defender. Very reliable and accurate. Be sure to get the latest improved model. It has the bevel cuts on the front of he slide kind of like a Browning High power. Feeds 100%.

Posts: 1527 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida | Registered: July 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the opinions, options and reports! Smile Much appreciated! Regards 18DAI

posted Hide Post
The new defenders are reliable. They do recommend changing the recoil spring every 1000 rounds on the short 1911's.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:

A commander would be a full length grip, whereas the traditional officer length frame with the commander slide is a CCO; sounds like Ruger's is a compromise between an officer size and CCO.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post