SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Gen 5 Glock 17 - almost perfect
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gen 5 Glock 17 - almost perfect Login/Join 
Picture of trickedtrix
posted
So I picked it up last night, and shot 400 rounds of 124grn PRVI with no functional issues. However the rear sight had to be drifted a bit off center to the right (most likely changing the sights anyway). The gun produced great groups in my hands at 50'.

Pros
Grip feels great, love the subtle mag-well flare
Trigger is smooth and break predictable - actually feels a lot like my glocks with ghost upgrades
Gun balances great in the hand - follow up shots were quick

The only gripe I have is wishing the grips were more textured, but again that's an easy fix - i'm a fan of Brook's A Grip and should have that soon

I did have to use a cloth around my fingers to operate the take-down lever - I just couldn't get enough purchase on each side at the same time. Maybe that will loosen up after time.

Not sure if the new mags offer any functional advantage with the orange follower but it did make them easier to see empty on the ground as the sun hid behind the clouds

Hoping to see Glock offer the Gen 5 treatment on a 31 soon

*Handguns are fine, Shotguns are final

Posts: 1236 | Location: IL | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trickedtrix:

From what I've read, the Gen 5's are going to be 9mm only. The reason is that Gen 5 went back to a 2-pin design. That 3rd pin helped to beef up the locking block on the .40 and .357 sig models.

Posts: 486 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: September 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trickedtrix
posted Hide Post
Well itd be nice to get those new grip frame improvements in a .357 SIG - im greatly enjoying the new G17 and after about a thousand dry fires my gen 3's feel foreign

*Handguns are fine, Shotguns are final

Posts: 1236 | Location: IL | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
I just picked up a 17 with the Ameriglo bold sights. I agree that the combination is just about perfect. I haven't shot it yet but it feels great. That front sight is so easy to pick up.

Posts: 1511 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will a G4 slide work on a G5 frame?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You dig
Picture of evolution
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Will a G4 slide work on a G5 frame?

From what I have read no,
But haven't verified.

Posts: 2602 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here are some comments and a review on the Gen 5 G17 by Taran Butler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYitHMrnCQw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICGdMG7XF6c

Posts: 388 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I handled a 5 gen 17 and 19 today. They definitely pointed better, but they are still Glocks.

Posts: 4648 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I fondled a couple of Gen 5s today and I will definitely be acquiring one soon, most likely a G17. As a lefty, it will be the first truly ambidextrous pistol I've owned.

Posts: 2465 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by andronicus: but they are still Glocks.

And to a lot of us, that's a good thing. Big Grin

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I looked at a 19 and liked it, but $600 plus tax and $100 for sights, I decided to pass. Maybe in the future.

Posts: 237 | Location: PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll be picking up a G17 with Ameriglo Sights sometime soon-ish. Whether myself, or talking my stepdad into adding it to his safe Smile

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OLD_COP:
Maybe in the future.

I'm with you - I won't buy a newly released gun.
Let the needed "upgrades" get found out by others first.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are they going to make a Gen 5 Glock 34?

Posts: 4648 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TENWOLVES
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
quote:
Originally posted by OLD_COP:
Maybe in the future.

I'm with you - I won't buy a newly released gun.
Let the needed "upgrades" get found out by others first.

This is the gun with the needed upgrades, LOL, this new Gen 5 in either the 19 or 17 , ROCK, They are totally awesome,I liked the 19 so much I bought a 17 to go with it, Glock did their homework, and it has paid off, there are only a few gun makers that have offered ambi slide releases that really work, and now Glock can themselves to that list..all the new features make a difference, a good difference...

P226 Scorpion, P225 A-1, P 226 SAO Legion, P229 Legion, P 22O Hunter SAO, P938, P320 full, P 320X Carry, P365 P365 XL. P365 SAS

Posts: 277 | Location: Grant Pass, Oregon | Registered: April 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sr_Bull:
quote:
Originally posted by trickedtrix:

From what I've read, the Gen 5's are going to be 9mm only. The reason is that Gen 5 went back to a 2-pin design. That 3rd pin helped to beef up the locking block on the .40 and .357 sig models.
. Does that mean we can expect a Gen 5 Glock 26 and Glock 34? I really would love to see a matching set as I am, just OCD like that.

Posts: 20 | Registered: August 26, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
High standards,
low expectations
Picture of Surefire
posted Hide Post
Well, why the hell did I just buy my Gen 4?

The reward for hard work, is more hard work arcwelder76, 2013

Posts: 5252 | Location: Edmonton AB, Canada | Registered: July 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I've switched to all gen 5s

I appreciate those of you wanting to wait because you don't want to be a "beta" tester but consider this

This gun has been tested and now carried by the FBI for over a year....the FBI already did the beta for you

Plus many of the changes to the gen 5 first saw light in the 42 and 43.

This is not "brand new"

My only gripe is it was indeed kind of a surprise that they released it and had I known I wouldn't have bought some of the gen 4 guns I have now replaced

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I ll give Glock props. They hyped it for about 20 days and then dumped a bunch of guns on the market. As opposed to other manufacturers who promise stuff for years. Then they release a hand full of guns that are true beta test material. And they don't get why people bitch.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37079 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

The only gripe I have is wishing the grips were more textured, but again that's an easy fix - i'm a fan of Brook's A Grip and should have that soon

That's my only complaint with my 17M as well. Once you get sweaty, it's a little slick. We're not allowed to modify our duty gun, or I'd have it professionally stippled.

Posts: 139 | Location: Indiana | Registered: June 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post