SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Gen 5 Glock 17 - almost perfect
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gen 5 Glock 17 - almost perfect Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Resurrecting an old thread instead of starting a new one:

I saw a Gen 5 G19 at the LGS for $420 with the public safety discount. I almost bit but I'm still so attached to my Gen 3. I had a Gen 4 that I never warmed to and traded here for a VP9.

How is everyone doing with their Gen 5 guns, after a while?
Any quirks pop up?
Any buyers remorse?

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I still haven't bought one.

But the G17, G19X and G34 are high on appeal. All full size grips. I would not mind having an example of all three.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Loving my 19 and 19X.

Have only had them since February and only a few thousand rounds through each. Both are sweet shooters. I did not like the stock sights on the 19X and replaced them with Ameriglo Agents for gen4. I really like the grip that I’m going to get my gen3 32 fingergrooves removed to see if I like it.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ended up with a 19X. I had no intention of buying a Gen 5, or the 19X.

As it turns out, I really like it.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
I have a 19X, a G19 Gen5, and a G26 Gen 5. I carried a G21 for police work for years but never bought any for personal use. With the Gen5's I am a total convert. I have no regrets and they have replaced my Walthers for everyday carry.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Not a ton of rounds downrange yet, and I've only had it for a month or so, but I sure like it.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I didn’t think I’d like the removed finger grooves but must admit, it makes a difference especially how the base of the trigger guard has been cut to allow you to get up on the grip. The nDLC finish is a plus, my Gen 4 had rust develop on the slide from close contact carry. I don’t care for the ambi slide release, creates a problem with a few holsters I own.

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
About 12k through my work gun. Zero issues.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I have a gen 5 19 and 34, I need the 17.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trickedtrix
posted Hide Post
Honestly my G17 took a backseat for a while. Been spending a lot of time with revolvers after hand surgery in April. I did bring it out last weekend and ran 4 mags thru it. Still a great shooter

*Handguns are fine, Shotguns are final

Posts: 1236 | Location: IL | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sr_Bull:
quote:
Originally posted by trickedtrix:

Hoping to see Glock offer the Gen 5 treatment on a 31 soon

From what I've read, the Gen 5's are going to be 9mm only. The reason is that Gen 5 went back to a 2-pin design. That 3rd pin helped to beef up the locking block on the .40 and .357 sig models.

No the Brazilian police in Sao Paulo have bought G22 Gen 5!!!

Posts: 467 | Registered: November 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

Only 12k? How many through the one you practice with? Smile

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan of the G17 gen 5, just recently pick up a G17 Vickers and I definitely like the gen 5 better. The finger grooves are not something I like, the trigger I feel it's smoother, the magwell is also something I like better.

Posts: 929 | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Gen 5 Glock 19 that I really like. I don't notice the cut out at the bottom of the frame/mag well area that some people are noticing. I am not a fan of the ambi-slide release but understand the need and want to get a factory extended slide release whenever they are available but just for one side,if that is possible.

I don't really have any complaints other than Glock not extending the tang just a little bit but they keep adding the frame pieces. I love the grip without the added back straps. I know a lot of people who get slide bite and can't figure out why Glock doesn't just make the back of the frame a bit longer like they did with the Glock 43. I have never had an issue with my 43 and bought it because of the slight modification. It fits "like a glove".

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

Only 12k? How many through the one you practice with? Smile

Bruce

To be fair, Jerry just got a new Gen 5 G17 duty gun. So that 12k is over just the last several months. Big Grin

Posts: 32427 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
I didn’t think I’d like the removed finger grooves but must admit, it makes a difference especially how the base of the trigger guard has been cut to allow you to get up on the grip.
looks identical to every other glock triggerguard. Perhaps it feels better because your finger can sit lower without the grooves.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3181 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by andronicus:
I handled a 5 gen 17 and 19 today. They definitely pointed better, but they are still Glocks.

Which is all the difference in the world. Everyone else...pretenders.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Maybe. I never had an issue with the grip on the previous generations. Do much prefer the Gen 5..
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
I didn’t think I’d like the removed finger grooves but must admit, it makes a difference especially how the base of the trigger guard has been cut to allow you to get up on the grip.
looks identical to every other glock triggerguard. Perhaps it feels better because your finger can sit lower without the grooves.

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post