SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Army Times: "Cabela’s might have been a cheaper option for the military’s newest handgun after all, report shows"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Army Times: "Cabela’s might have been a cheaper option for the military’s newest handgun after all, report shows" Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Some people clearly aren't reading the article.

They're not saying $17 million would've done it. The $17M figure is what the testing phase cost. The credit card thing is just what some brass guy said because he thought it was an exhorbinant cost to test some pistols. $17M would've bout like 25-30,000 pistols from Cabelas. Obviously nowhere near almost 475,000.

What they are saying is $580M divided by 473,215 comes to $1,226/pistol. Now if they're getting the pistols for just over $200, what's the other $1000 for? Some is for an unknown number to be outfitted for suppressors (threaded barrels, tall sights, and the cans themselves), some is for training, support, technical information (armorers manuals, etc). A big chunk is likely for ammo, especially since they're using JHP now. And there's also inflationary costs over the 10 years of the contract. But no one seems to have a real breakdown, so there's legitimate questions about how the money is truly being spent. Even with all these things combined, $1,226/pistol seems high.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Contract price includes the cost of new Speer Gold Dot duty ammo, does it not? From what I understand. We are not at war with Hague convention signatories, and haven't been, so hollow point ammo is what the brass wanted.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The same could be said for virtually any product our Military/Gov't procures, from screwdrivers to HVAC systems to food.

So what is the point?

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its not their money, screw it.

Yeah. Hi Glock ? Yeah this is general big shot down at the pentagon. I know you sell to small police departments for like 350$ a gun. Yeah you wanna sell me 400,000 g17 and G19 units at 200 per, plus some extras ? Sweet. Deal. I’ll send a few trucks down to GA to pick them up. Done and done and it’s not even lunch time on Monday.

This is more parts of the swamp that DJT needs to go after next. The freaking fraud and abuse and plain waste of tax money. Every alphabet agency needs to be audited including even the DOD. It’s out of hand.

Posts: 4737 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
They'd have to raise the limit on my credit card some but I'd sure get a lot of points and some serious cash back.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why would the cost of ammo be included? The military has been using hollow points in CONUS for at least 10 years. I know because I work for the Army as A Civilian Police Officer.

James

We the unappreciated
must do the unimaginable
and see the unthinkable
to protect the ungrateful

Posts: 801 | Registered: March 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by depusm12:
Why would the cost of ammo be included? The military has been using hollow points in CONUS for at least 10 years. I know because I work for the Army as A Civilian Police Officer.

Package deal? IIRC, the RFP didn't specify caliber.

Posts: 9002 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:

This is more parts of the swamp that DJT needs to go after next. The freaking fraud and abuse and plain waste of tax money. Every alphabet agency needs to be audited including even the DOD. It’s out of hand.

Yup. Government contract - raise the price on the item by at least 100%. Don’t worry, it is just taxpayer money. No big deal. No wonder we are trillions in debt.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Four new 9mm cartridges were developed in concert with the Modular Handgun. These include the XM1152 HP, Special Purpose XM1153 (for use in situations where limited over penetration of targets is necessary to reduce collateral damage), XM1156 DDI and the XM1157 blank (for use in K9 training). All four cartridges are procured under SSN E05218. The Modular Handgun will also use the various M1041 marking cartridges.

Posts: 9002 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
I tried to tell them that the Beretta M9A3 was the best way to go, but they wouldn't listen.

truth

----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:

Yup. Government contract - raise the price on the item by at least 100%. Don’t worry, it is just taxpayer money. No big deal. No wonder we are trillions in debt.

Don't forget the Government tells you how much you can "make" on a contract. Any visible profit more than about 5% and you are bilking the government.

So there is a shell game of making money where you aren't really making money (wink).

It's a joke and it's easily as much on the gov't as on the supplier with all their chickenshit rules and requirements.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post