SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    You know there is something to be said for equipment being a crutch for skill.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You know there is something to be said for equipment being a crutch for skill. Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
I have said many times that I am a hobbiest not a gun fighter. I have lots of firearms and lots of manuals of arms. I try to be passable with anything with a trigger. All that being said I am no Bob Mundan. Hell I am no Bob Newhart.

So anyway I ran to the range today with 2 guns. A .40 SIG P239 and an Ed Brown Kobra in .45.

I haven’t had either out in a long time. I did ok but not great with the P239 mostly because I kept playing with my grip since I tend to ride the slide lock and cause it to not lock back. My shooting suffered a bit from this.

The Ed Brown however, wow one single smaller than fist sized hole dead center except for 2 flyers called by me before they left the barrel.

The point I am making is in this personal anecdote the tool certainly was a crutch for my skill. That Brown is fitted perfectly with a great barrel and an awesome trigger and good sights etc. it really is an example of the tool helping mask my skill inadequacies.

Both are great, well made guns being shot by a hack. The Brown, however, easily says to the hack behind the trigger, “relax, I got this.” So I guess equipment can, indeed, help bridge the skill gap. Well at least for me on this day.

Of course one needs the fundamentals to take advantage of the tool but damn if that Brown is not a shooter that makes even my shaky dumbass look like a boss. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7674 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I've owned and shot guns that made the shooter look good. But at the end of the day, the truth is, if you don't know what to do with it, it isn't going to matter what it is. At least some of it's on you. Wink

Congrats on a fun range trip. Those are the ones that make you wanna keep going back. Smile

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
The old software vs hardware debate. Well aware. I read a lot of software vs hardware. To me, it is both, equal parts. Or should say I am weak, I need both Big Grin

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12620 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agreed, skill and gear both matter. I like it when one reveals something about the other, as those instances always impress truth into my mind and flows into my practice.

Glad you had a fun range day...it's neat when it all lines up.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
I have some days that I look like a great shooter. Other days, not so much. Usually the good days are with high quality firearms. Sometimes the not so much as well. When things do click, it's nice to not have to worry about it being the gun. Those rare days are what put a huge grin on your face vs the smile I get everyday at the range.

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arlen
posted Hide Post
I do not know that technology can help me. But I buy the best that I know is quality and hope for the best. One thing that I DO stay away from is light trigger springs and hammer springs. Hair triggers scare me and always have. So I concentrate on my trigger pull, reset, and grip to achieve mediocrity.

Regards,
arlen

======================
Some days, it's just not worth the effort of chewing through the leather straps.
======================

Posts: 408 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Recently bought a CZ Shadow 2 in 9mm. Sort of a poor mans SIG X-5.

I get the same good feeling with it, as I do with my Wilson/Ed Brown 1911's or my SIG X-5's. It simply makes you a better shooter, by being so accurate and smooth.

I like nice toys. There's that pride of ownership thing too.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me, the P225 (old style) makes me look really proficient. I just shoot it well. I cant say why as I shoot it the same way I shoot everything else.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
...All that being said I am no Bob Mundan. Hell I am no Bob Newhart...

No Bob Lee Swagger either?

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ride the slide release on my 225a1 (same part # as 239) as well. What worked for me was taking it out and dremeling it to a much smaller size. I bought a spare so if I ever want to I can return it to stock. Don’t ride it anymore though.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Arnold Palmer was a skilled golfer, but even he wouldn't be able to do his best work with clubs that don't fit him. I don't see guns as any different. I shoot some handguns better than others.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This manifests itself across many occupations, hobbies, sports, etc.

race guns
bikes
GPS / electronics
surf boards
golf clubs
robotic surgical tools
etc etc

You can certainly 'buy your way' into a higher level of performance.

But the proof is when - things go to sh*t - and the true 'ability' has to shine. The crutch is broken / in-op / unavailable. That separates the pretenders from the real deal.

----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
This manifests itself across many occupations, hobbies, sports, etc.

race guns
bikes
GPS / electronics
surf boards
golf clubs
robotic surgical tools
etc etc

You can certainly 'buy your way' into a higher level of performance.

But the proof is when - things go to sh*t - and the true 'ability' has to shine. The crutch is broken / in-op / unavailable. That separates the pretenders from the real deal.

----------------------------------

Yep.

If I'm having a problem and I think it has anything to do with gun/sites I find the best shooter I'm with and ask them to run a couple of mags. Every time it was the shooter not the gun, every single time.

Give Jerry Miculek a Hi Point, he'll still out shoot us all.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20812 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
is in this personal anecdote the tool certainly was a crutch for my skill

Crutch is not defined by a mechanical attributes of tools but by user's overall skill set and attitude.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
An inaccurate gun will not shoot better with a world class shooter behind it. However, an accurate gun will sometimes make an average shooter look good. I would know. Smile

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Arnold Palmer was a skilled golfer, but even he wouldn't be able to do his best work with clubs that don't fit him. I don't see guns as any different. I shoot some handguns better than others.

I agree, also .40 is not known as an inherently accurate cartridge, like .45 acp (and some others are).

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post