SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    5.7X28mm Ammo Prices Continuing to Rise!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

5.7X28mm Ammo Prices Continuing to Rise! Login/Join 
posted
I did not expect to see the 5.7X28mm ammo prices rising as much as they have. A check this morning on ammoseek shows prices ranging from $1.54 to $3.60 per round. I assume that this large price increase is due to the limited market and shortages caused by CCP virus shutdown and recent rioting (or peaceful protest as the Left calls them).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
5.7X28mm Ammo Prices Continuing to Rise!

As do other calibers.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
As do other calibers.

When discussing the matter with a friend recently, he pointed out that almost immediately after the pandemic crisis hit the price for 1000 rounds of 9mm training ammunition from typical vendors went up at least $100.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
5.7 ammo has always been expensive. Just following the market trends.

Posts: 9512 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
3.60 PER ROUND!!!

Wow. I have nothing to add but wow.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Did I miss something? hasn't 5.7X28mm always hovered around $1/round anyway? Everything else is up, so why wouldn't this be higher as well?

Don't get me wrong, the higher end of that is pretty ridiculous, but the higher end of most ammoseek searches for any caliber is always an outlier. I mean, I just searched 9mm generically, and got $0.234 - $5.998 / round

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did I miss something? hasn't 5.7X28mm always hovered around $1/round anyway? Everything else is up, so why wouldn't this be higher as well?

^^^^^^^^^^^
I think some thought that with the introduction of Ruger's 5.7 the price would come down. Clearly they were wrong.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Likely drove demand up (with a new firearm) before ammunition manufacturers were ready to fulfill with increased supply. With the current drama, manufacturers likely kept producing more mainstream calibers. Not remotely surprising.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^
I think some thought that with the introduction of Ruger's 5.7 the price would come down. Clearly they were wrong.

Actually before the shortages started, 5.7X28 was hovering around 35 to 50 cents per round.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
3.60 PER ROUND!!!

Wow is correct. For $3.60 per round, I want it to be heat seeking and follow someone around corners.

posted Hide Post
if the market would really buy it a 3.60 a round I would gladly unload some of my inventory. I doubt much is selling at that price point.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SSAreGreat:
quote:
3.60 PER ROUND!!!

Wow is correct. For $3.60 per round, I want it to be heat seeking and follow someone around corners.

Runaway with Tom Selleck, written and directed by Michael Crichton

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 280nosler:
quote:
quote:
3.60 PER ROUND!!!

I think I saw that movie. Was that the film with Gene Simmons from Kiss as the bad guy?

Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 280nosler:
quote:
quote:
3.60 PER ROUND!!!

For $3.60 per round, I want it to be heat seeking and follow someone around corners.

I think I saw that movie. Was that the film with Gene Simmons from Kiss as the bad guy?

NEEERRRDDDDSSSSS!!!!!!!!

And yes, yes it was.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1957 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last time I bought some late last year, the “good stuff” SS198 was around $25 a box, with the V-Max SS197 being a little cheaper, so 50 cents a round max. $1 a round or more is just crazy.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
Last time I bought some late last year, the “good stuff” SS198 was around $25 a box, with the V-Max SS197 being a little cheaper, so 50 cents a round max. $1 a round or more is just crazy.

I was once again considering buying a FN Five 7 since I love the concept of the low recoil and light weight ammo. However, after monitoring the prices, it is not an option for the foreseeable future. After President Trump declared a national emergency on March 13, 2020 prices went higher but nowhere they are right now.

Oh well, I will just have to stay with 9mm.

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
The more I think about this 3.60 a round thing. The more I keep thinking.

“Anything worth shooting is worth....a cost benefit analysis and ROI determination before shooting again.”

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
One of our local gun stores ordered 100 of the new Ruger 57’s and they are taking ore-orders while they are in transit. They expect them all to be sold before they arrive on the delivery truck. Demand must be up and the supply is still low.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
One of our local gun stores ordered 100 of the new Ruger 57’s and they are taking ore-orders while they are in transit. They expect them all to be sold before they arrive on the delivery truck. Demand must be up and the supply is still low.

That news is encouraging. I still want a handgun in this caliber but not with high ammo prices,and I am referring to the ones before the ammo shortages started, i.e., 40 to 50 cents per round. Maybe I am being too optimistic about ammo prices ever dropping below .40 USD. Now if only SIG or Glock or S&W produced some models then ammo prices would drop.

posted Hide Post
That's a shame really because it's an awesome round that will never get it's just do because of the expensee.

Posts: 3920 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post