SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Aimpoint announces the Acro P-1 small red dot sight
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aimpoint announces the Acro P-1 small red dot sight Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
RMRs / DPPs typically have issues in rain, as well as not being NVG capable, and have a smaller lateral eyebox in comparison to rifle variants.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I didn’t think about NVG.

That all makes sense.

Thanks.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Most of them, not including the Delta Point Pro and the MRDS, have to be removed from its mount to change the battery. This is my primary gripe with them as I have a strong dislike of removing optics to perform maintenance.

Posts: 9963 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Boxy for sure; sorta kinda fits the clunky 2x4 look of a Glock. Wink

My older Type I RMR RM02 on my G19 has so far held up well. But the Type I RM06 that was on my MPX has been a dog; incessant flickering despite using the bloody shim/battery plate. A T-1 Micro takes its place, because I've yet to have any real issues with an Aimpoint unit. I'd give one of these a try, but I think it needs something the size of a G40 to "look right". Big Grin

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Just speculation of course, but I doubt that Aimpoint is “aiming” this unit at the guy whose idea of heavy use is to fire 50 rounds through a single target at an indoor range every six months—or even, for that matter, anyone else such as a competitor who will always use it under clean and dry conditions when a failure will never be worse than a lost match. Professional users are different not that they will necessarily use their sights more, but in the conditions of that use, and most critically in the consequences of failure. The worst conditions are likely to be coupled with the worst possible consequences.

The Sage Dynamics report linked in an earlier thread stated that most red dot optical sights suitable for use on handguns that were tested failed, especially with rough handling. As rugged as Aimpoint sights issued to US military forces are, my agency has a box full that we got from DMRO and half or more are unserviceable due to that reason. If military members can destroy one of the most rugged and reliable optical sights available for rifles, what will they (and LEOs) do to handgun sights?

As I mentioned in that other thread, the military special operations community is reportedly recognizing the value of red dot optical sights on handguns, and in addition to its (presumed) ruggedness, this Acro’s night vision device settings are obviously intended for that market, as are such features as being submersible to 25 meters. In addition to whatever other advantages the unit may offer for hard duty use, the fully enclosed design is very significant for me.

I have a Docter mounted on a bolt action rifle as a close range backup, but I’ve never been completely confident that it would be available for use in a bad situation. One of the worst aspects of its and similar designs is how easy it would be to become unusable if the tiny LED and/or rear lens surface became blocked with snow or other contaminant, and how difficult it would be to clean such a unit in the field to get it back in service. (Added: I just looked at my Docter and realized that the rear of the lens is recessed so far that if a gun it was mounted on was dropped in the snow or loose dirt, it would be a major effort to get it cleaned. Canned air and Q-Tips would be the least of it. Plus, backup sights would be of no help.)

(The Sage Dynamics report claims that fogging of optical surfaces is “easily” prevented with proper coatings; I would be curious to know what those coatings are if anyone knows.)

I don’t know if I’ll ever become enamored enough of the Acro to purchase one, but any hesitation won’t be because of its size and weight—and especially not because it spoils the sleek and svelte lines and looks of my gun. We can hope for smaller and lighter units in the future, but at this point the Acro would be small and light enough for me.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigfreund,

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I've played with the Aimpoint Nano on the USW-9 and have to say, its a nice design. I'd love to have an Acro on my TP9.

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Were you able to see how it mounts? Like posted earlier, it looks like to clamps to a mounted dovetail.

Posts: 9963 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
correct

posted Hide Post
It remains to be seen if the Acro mounts the same way as the Nano.

Acro was unveiled one month ago. So far even Aimpoint reps have not had a chance to see one. It is somewhat of a vaporware for now.

The reported specs for the optic suggest an aperture size smaller that of RMR in the unit bigger than RMR. If true, it is unlikely to get much traction in some circles that are currently using slide mounted optics.

There is a lot that remains to be seen with this unit.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YVK:
It remains to be seen if the Acro mounts the same way as the Nano.

posted Hide Post
When it comes to reflex sights for pistols I've found the Shield RMS fantastic. No buttons. You zero with a provided hex screw. On constantly and the brightness adjusts automatically to the atmosphere. Battery lasts 1-2 years. Has a drawer that comes out the side to change batteries.
I have one on a M&P Shield. Fits nicely.
Shield (Made in UK) has been furnishing Brit's military with red dots for thirty years. Just last year__to the public. Check'm at Brownells.
Red dot sights are becoming more and more popular...because they make good shooters better and faster. Not a thing wrong with these being mentioned by these posters either.
Stay safe
Poli Viejo

Posts: 395 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona | Registered: May 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Most of them, not including the Delta Point Pro and the MRDS, have to be removed from its mount to change the battery. This is my primary gripe with them as I have a strong dislike of removing optics to perform maintenance.

Voshterkoff: (How'd you come up with that moniker?) The Shield RMS has a drawer that slides out from the base. You change out batteries like that. Most claim 2-3 years for the Shield RMS__ Me? I'll be changing once a year with my Shield RMS and my Sig Romeo 1 too. ( I leave the Romeo 1 on constantly too, even though there's no recommendation to do this like with the Shield.
G'luck "Some Moniker"
Stay safe
Poli Viejo ( Slang Spanish for "Old Cop")

Posts: 395 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona | Registered: May 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post