SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    When you suck more than Hi-Point: The craptacular Taurus Curve
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When you suck more than Hi-Point: The craptacular Taurus Curve Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted

Posts: 107507 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I watched this last night and actually laughed out loud when he dropped it in the barrel and asked someone to hand him the Yeet Cannon. As someone who has been burned by Taurus twice (apparently I'm a slow learner, but there won't be a third!), the results were unsurprising.

Posts: 8543 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure HOW someone that's online as much as myself had never heard the story behind the "Yeet Cannon", but I must confess, I now feel my life has been thusly enriched for having researched the topic. Razz

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6211 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I think it’s hilarious that Hi-Point actually named it that after the online campaign. I gained a little respect for them. Not enough to buy one of course.

Taurus has a lot of good ideas. And some real shitty ones too. It’s like there is nobody in charge telling the kids that your drawing of the hairy fire truck isn’t actually good. Instead Taurus fires up the assembly line and produces whatever shit gun the three year olds draw. And the good ideas are good only as an idea since it’s clear that their QC leaves a lot to be desired.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
I had a Taurus j-frame-size revolver in 9 mm for a very short time. First range trip the yoke-retaining screw dropped out within 3 cylinders of firing, never to be found again. Replaced the screw and went out for range session number two - the transfer bar broke in the first cylinder of fire. So two problems with a brand new gun in the first 20 rounds of fire. Luckily my FFL took care of me; he let me trade the gun towards something else and sent the gun back to Taurus under warranty. Taurus sucks and I'll never buy another Taurus anything ever again.

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Sounds about right for just about any Taurus made in the last several decades.

But funnily enough, my Dad's first duty weapon in the mid-1970s was a Taurus 82. This was at a small Sheriff's Office in South Texas. He said that at the time, it was a decent quality clone of the S&W Model 10 and some cash-strapped LE agencies bought them due to the cost savings over the S&W, getting a minimal decrease in quality for a large decrease in cost.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I briefly considered a Taurus 9mm something-or-other years and years ago, but decided to save my pennies and get something more reputable.

More recently I considered the TX22, but it turned out, despite the rave initial reviews, they didn't get that right, either.

I'll probably never bother even looking at another Taurus product again.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I've only seen one of those in a gun shop known for selling lower end firearms. My immediate thought was it must be chinese influence.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
My father bought me a Taurus PT99 I believe was the model.

This was 15 years or more ago and at the time my research and all my talks with folks led me to believe the Beretta style models were the only thing they got relatively right.

Perhaps that's because they simply copied the plans.

Mine was flawless and I never felt bad abusing the hell out of it.

Otherwise I would never waste my dollars on a Taurus. I don't believe in range guns. Anything that I buy needs to be able to work when it is supposed to. Nobody keeps a broken screwdriver in their tool box.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I had a Taurus pistol once.
Never again, based on that experience.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16509 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
I will buy a Hi Point over a Taurus any day.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
My father bought me a Taurus PT99 I believe was the model.

This was 15 years or more ago and at the time my research and all my talks with folks led me to believe the Beretta style models were the only thing they got relatively right.

Perhaps that's because they simply copied the plans.

Not only did they copy the plans, but they actually used Beretta machinery in a factory originally set up by Beretta.

Beretta had built a factory in Brazil in the 1970s to produce Beretta 92 pistols under contract for the Brazilian Army. When that contract ran out in the early 1980s, Taurus purchased the plant and machinery from Beretta, and then began producing their own 92 pistols since Beretta's patents on the 92 had expired by that point.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My luck has been good when it comes to rolling the dice with Taurus:
PT92 - I abused it for several years by open carrying it when I rode ATVs. Always full of dirt and grit. Always ran. Cheap magazines too. I bought it solely due to the 3 position safety, which I felt was better than the Beretta.
PT1911 - Carried one for several years and it was a good shooter. Had the worst fitted grip safety of any 1911 I have ever owned. Way too narrow and out of spec for the frame.
Model 85 - Carried for years and worked great, despite me running a lot of +P through it, which it was not rated for.
The Curve, however is not just stupid, it is ridiculously stupid.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
The problem is obvious.
The Taurus curve is for right handed shooters only.
The host is shooting left handed.
Ya that’s it. I am sure.

Smile

Posts: 4127 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Taurus has mostly crap but I have to say the G2C I owned was a great little gun. I never had an issue with feeding or reliability.

Posts: 6874 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
"No... Yeet me." Big Grin

Good thing he checked to make sure it was empty before he tossed it.

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:

[FLASH_VIDEO]

I'm... speechless.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
With the safety on, no less.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107507 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
"No... Yeet me." Big Grin

Holy crap!

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
But funnily enough, my Dad's first duty weapon in the mid-1970s was a Taurus 82.

Jan Libourel seemed to love those things - none of the other rag writerw (except maybe Taffin?) ever seemed to pick up on them.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post