SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    S&W 625 Mountain Gun in .45 ACP
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W 625 Mountain Gun in .45 ACP Login/Join 
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted
I took my S&W 625 Mountain Gun in .45 ACP, purchased used a few months back, out for a fresh range-run recently, logging exactly 186 rounds. It’s super-easy to keep up with the round-count, as I’d pre-loaded 31 six-round moon clips with an assortment of JHP and SWC rounds.

I didn’t get to work on drawing the gun from concealment during this session, as I’d also taken along a 1911 and had an IWB holster on already for that gun. Reloads were done from concealment using two Jeffrey Custom “Moon Pouches,” a product I’ve found to be very effective for carrying spare ammo for this gun. Shots taken were mostly 2- and 3-shot strings including some failure drills / Mozambique drills, all from a low-ready position. Targets shown were shot at 10 yards.

This revolver continues to impress me. It’s fun to shoot and makes a sound concealed-carry option thanks to both the Jeffrey pouches and a Barranti Leather Summer Classic IWB holster. I’ve carried this setup a few times now and it works quite well.

Thanks for looking!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Really Nice, I always wanted one of those and never got around to buying one, now they're a bit pricey.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
Very nice! I've been looking at the moon clip carriers from Jeffery's for my 3" 625-3. Are they as good as advertised? I like the concept over anything else I've found.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 702 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Very nice. I've never seen, much less shot, a .45 revolver. They are really scarce around here.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Thanks, all!

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Delta-3:
Very nice! I've been looking at the moon clip carriers from Jeffery's for my 3" 625-3. Are they as good as advertised? I like the concept over anything else I've found.

Thank you and same here - I’ve had some great carrier recommendations here and from another forum and finally decided on the Jeffrey pouches. To me, they are excellent - they conceal well and work great! I’ll add a few more pics below...

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

posted Hide Post
Very, very nice wheel gun!

Posts: 31 | Registered: October 23, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Very, very nice! I have a Blackhawk convertible in .45ACP, and actually enjoy shooting it in ACP more than .45 Colt, because the shorter cases ease ejection, and it's just cheaper to shoot. A buddy has a model 25, and It's a beautiful gun...someday I'm going to own a DA .45ACP revolver!

Posts: 8415 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^ Thank you both!

posted Hide Post
I love my Mountain Gun. Mine is in .45 Colt and has the factory wooden finger groove grips. Of all my handguns, it is probably my favorite.

Yeah, I used to have a couple of guns.

Posts: 434 | Location: North Central Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
Very nice looking revolver TheFrontRange and some good shooting!

I just got my 625 a week ago and took it out for the 1st time yesterday. To say I love it is an understatement. I switched out the wooden Jerry Miculek grips for Hogues and it feels a lot better. The recoil is very comfortable and the gun is accurate. My 15 year came with me and shot a gun for just the 2nd time and even he loved shooting it. I've wanted a 625 for 10+ years and am so happy I finally got one!

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marcushoss:
I love my Mountain Gun. Mine is in .45 Colt and has the factory wooden finger groove grips. Of all my handguns, it is probably my favorite.

I’ve always heard / read nothing but positive things about guns in .45 Colt - I’d love to try-out an N-frame so-calibered.

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by remsig:
Very nice looking revolver TheFrontRange and some good shooting!

I just got my 625 a week ago and took it out for the 1st time yesterday. To say I love it is an understatement. I switched out the wooden Jerry Miculek grips for Hogues and it feels a lot better. The recoil is very comfortable and the gun is accurate. My 15 year came with me and shot a gun for just the 2nd time and even he loved shooting it. I've wanted a 625 for 10+ years and am so happy I finally got one!

Thank you and that’s a sweet 625 you have - I like those JM guns!

Picture of CLEANDEAN
posted Hide Post
A mod. 25 is the revolver I wanted when I owned a tavern. Never found the nickel gun that I wanted.
So I went in the other direction ... 1911
Now I want a .45 wheelgun , again. The good pics here are gonna get me lookin again.

Never judge a man, till you have walked a mile in his shoes.....
That way, you'll be a mile away from him; and you'll have his shoes.

Posts: 181 | Location: So. of 3 Rivers < Penna. VIGILANT CURMUDGEON | Registered: April 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful gun. Loves me some 625’s.

Posts: 1096 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Thank you both!

@usncorpsman, is that revolver on the right a Model of 1989, perhaps? It looks like a 625 variant that I’ve long-admired.

posted Hide Post
Nice leather and gun both. For my tastes it is highly disappointing smith and Wesson has apparently forgotten how to produce blued guns. They come out with a new and otherwise interesting gun all the time ( 10 shot .22 kframe, 7 shot 9mm L frame, the mountain guns etc) but always in stainless.

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheFrontRange:
Thank you both!

@usncorpsman, is that revolver on the right a Model of 1989, perhaps? It looks like a 625 variant that I’ve long-admired.

They both are Model of 1989 625’s. One is a 3” and the other 4”. I used to have the 5” as well.

Posts: 1096 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
Nice leather and gun both. For my tastes it is highly disappointing smith and Wesson has apparently forgotten how to produce blued guns. They come out with a new and otherwise interesting gun all the time ( 10 shot .22 kframe, 7 shot 9mm L frame, the mountain guns etc) but always in stainless.

I hear you on that. I’m thinking (and may be mis-remembering this) that there are some Mountain Guns in blue or possibly black; regardless, they indeed would be spectacular in an old-school S&W blue.

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by usncorpsman:
quote:
Originally posted by TheFrontRange:
Thank you both!

They both are Model of 1989 625’s. One is a 3” and the other 4”. I used to have the 5” as well.

Nice!