SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Cracking Beretta 92 locking blocks - Not just an internet myth after all
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cracking Beretta 92 locking blocks - Not just an internet myth after all Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted
As you might deduce from my screen-name, I have a Beretta 92. It was the first gun I ever bought, back in 2006 when I turned 21. I got it used from a local shop that no longer exists. I bought that gun for all the wrong reasons...sexy Italian lines, the John McClane cool factor, and because the Military uses them. I could have done worse...it's a nice non-radiused backstrap, straight-dustcover copy, with all metal controls and guide rod. Like any Beretta, the quality is excellent, the slide to frame action feels like it's on greased ball bearings, and it has been incredibly reliable.

I was in college back then, not rich, and it was the only handgun I owned for a while. I carried that beast for several years...I even have an IWB holster for it. My interests have since shifted to other platforms, I've acquired better carry options (I mean, what isn't better to carry than a full-size 92FS!), and as a result, it hasn't seen much range time lately. I even put an LTT trigger bar in it a few months back, took it to the range once, and it's been sitting in the safe ever since. I had some free time today, and decided I needed to do something about that.

I took it out and put about 100 rounds through it...some on paper and some on the plate rack. As expected, it performed flawlessly. When I got home and took it apart to clean it, I found this:

I've heard the stories, but I'd never seen it in person. Now I have. Not a huge deal...it's an old gun with who knows how many rounds through it. I have a kit complete with block, plunger, pin, and a new recoil spring coming form Midway, for a pretty reasonable price...the old girl should be back in action next week sometime. I'll have to make sure it gets out to the range more...apparently when you let them sit too long, they break!

Posts: 8410 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
And that, ladies and gents, is why I keep chickening out about buying one of the cheap 1951s that seem to be everywhere these days.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it's too bad the 1951 doesn't use the same block. I did just find some on Ebay for $67. 92 parts are everywhere...although maybe the lesson there is that I should pick up a few spares while they are cheap and easy to come by.

Posts: 8410 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CAR
posted Hide Post
Beretta has an improved version of the 92 locking block available with radiused corners rather than the sharp corners where you block cracked. Make sure you get the improved block kit.

Posts: 926 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CAR:
Beretta has an improved version of the 92 locking block available with radiused corners rather than the sharp corners where you block cracked. Make sure you get the improved block kit.

The kit that is coming is called the v3...I assume that's what you're referring to. From what I read, it requires replacement of the plunger as well, which is why they sell it as a kit. It's nice to know that they've addressed the issue.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CAR:

There have been several upgrades to the locking block, resulting in a much more durable part.

Posts: 2550 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Out of curiosity, do you have a 92F or FS? Not that problems can't happen to either one.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
It's an FS...born in '93 if my research is correct.

Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Special forces friend hates beretta because he saw so many break while in. I love mine.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have seen a few broken blocks in my day both on the military and LE side but not as many one would think with the amount of rounds that were fired through them (mainly on the mil side)

I went to the Beretta's week long handgun armorer course and the instructors had a boat load of great stories to tell.

I love mine and if given the choice I would carry one on duty if I could.

The only time I ever had a problem with a 92 was when I was trying to qualify down at El Paso before I shipped out to AFG. The range Armorers who were from Honeywell I believe basically built me a new pistol right in their awesome truck.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mrapteam666,

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
That is a generation 1 locking block, as can be seen from the lack of chamfer on the inside corners where the crack initiated.

Beretta hasnt made one of those in about 25 years.

If you order a new block, it will have the chamfer, and will last roughly forever.

It is interesting to note that the stories of common failures are way overblown. In 1985, the Military ordered a stock of spare locking blocks, all of which were gen 1 obviously, and as of about 2 years ago had not used up the initial stock of Gen 1 blocks. Beretta tried to get them to switch when the later generation (crack free) blocks when they were introduced, but the attitude was something along the lines of "when we run out of these, we will order the new ones".

They never ran out of the initial stock.

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2446 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw many broken locking blocks in the Army. The story that I heard was that the Army bought replacement locking blocks from a lowest bid contractor, not Beretta. They were poor quality and broke more frequently than the originals.

Posts: 33 | Location: Lacey WA | Registered: August 17, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I replaced at least 100 of those blocks in the CG. We got ours issued in 89-90 and they started breaking in 91-forward.

It got to where when I reported to a new unit, I just ordered a bag full of new locking blocks. ....but just like everything else I the CG we wore stuff out. Really the lifespan of the guns was only 5000 rounds, but I had guns that had 25k+ rounds in them...

Once they came out with the radiused locking blocks the issue went away.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11244 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
The locking block is an item you replace with routine maintenance. You fail to replace them, they eventually crack.

The military excels at cleaning guns until the finish wears thin. Then taking them apart and cleaning them again. Not so much of actual maintenance.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37079 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
Not sure what internet myth you're referring to but the first gen locking block (which is what you have, as shown) is known to fracture at the wings and meant to be treated as a wearable part. Beretta has since gone through 2 generations of redesigns which are considerably more robust and last a long longer.

Posts: 10831 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
You are supposed to change the recoil spring every 5k rounds. The locking block is a 15k round part.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SgtGold,

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Raptor23
posted Hide Post
Very similar to my experience. The Beretta 92FS was my first, purchased back in 1991, and I would describe it much the same way. I had just recently begun to revisit this old friend, and was in the process of retrofitting it with Wilson combat parts (just hadn't gotten to the locking block quite yet).

Fast forward to a range trip after doing some of the upgrades when the action locked up mid-extraction after about 100 rounds. After bringing it home and finally working the slide loose, I found this:

Posts: 33 | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raptor23:

Yep...a couple more rounds and I'd have been right there with you. I guess I need to start replacing these on a schedule, but with how little mine gets shot it should be years before I need to do it again.

Picture of artful
posted Hide Post
When I ordered a replacement 92 wedge, I was told it's a wear part that should be replaced every 5,000 rounds.

When I got a used LEO Glock I had malfunctions and one of my shooting buddies said replace the main spring - Was told when I bought it - replace spring every 3,000 rounds.

Parts wear out - a spring on my P225 broke after 30 years - fortunately spare for my P220 was a direct replacement.

quote:
Fat, I'm not fat, just Tactically Padded.

Posts: 464 | Location: Arizona - USA | Registered: September 17, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There’s no way I would replace a newer gen locking block every 5000 rounds. They are cheap enough but that’s crazy. I have a bunch of 92’s. Probably my favorite overall design, certainly my favorite DA/SA. You hear so many bullshit stories about 92’s it’s not even funny. My oldest is over 30 years old. A 92F. I converted to the large hammer pin, FS, because I wanted a Vertec slide for the dovetail. I’m not sure if I have ever had a malfunction in a 92. Stats say I must have but I cant ever recall any. I just went to the PSA Shootout up near Hershey PA this weekend. With all the 2020 nonsense I hadn’t been shooting much and the gun I planned to shoot I shot in a local match poorly so at last moment I took my Elite LTT. Great gun. Even used some of those dreaded Checkmate mags that everyone swears are garbage. Maybe in certain sandy conditions but they work just fine in Maryland.

Anyway, a newer gen locking block is going way past 5k. The 92 has about a million parts out there and if you pay attention they can be had cheap.

Arguably one of finest handgun designs ever. (I converted everything to G) Easiest metal gun to take down as well. Only Glock is easier (not metal lol) than a 92.

Posts: 7342 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post