SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Bullet Setback
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet Setback Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I likely won't shoot it considering all the responses. I have plenty of defensive ammo that it's not worth risking.

As I said, I rarely ever unload my carry gun (relatively). I'd say maybe once a month. Still, perhaps I'll adjust my habit of always sling shotting the slide when chambering a round (I like knowing that the round is cleanly in battery).

quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

Which brand ammunition was that?

125gr Speer Gold Dots

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Still, perhaps I'll adjust my habit of always sling shotting the slide when chambering a round (I like knowing that the round is cleanly in battery).

FWIW, after easing the slide closed to feed a round I do a press check to make sure it chambered properly and the rim is under the extractor. I also tested this at the range to make sure it didn't impact reliability; it didn't.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I usually rotate the round out three times then it's off to the practice ammo bin if I have to unchamber it for anything. If I have any that have noticeable setback, I just give them to my brother. They have a bad ammo bin at work which gets given to the bomb squad when full to blow up.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't fire that round in .357 sig or .40 or other high pressure cartridge.....if it was a low pressure round like .45 acp, but it's just not worth testing the limits of your gun for the price of 1 round.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
a low pressure round like .45 acp

What other “low pressure” rounds are there that someone would be using in a defensive pistol?
And are guns chambered for 45 ACP designed to take the extra pressure caused by bullet setback if that’s a big concern? Wink

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BT2012
posted Hide Post
I have never come across any data that shows various setbacks to indicate which is safe or not safe to shoot. To be on the safe side, I would not shoot it and not worth to find if it would have been safe to do so. Look at it this way, the cost for that 1 round is in no comparison of the medical cost if it should blow up in your chamber. For me, the most I would allow myself to rechamber the same round is 2.

Posts: 21 | Registered: November 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
I have occasionally seen the same on my 357Sig rounds (and others.) I decided to measure a bunch of new ones straight out of the box. For Speer Gold Dot 125G I got 1.124-1.128". I loaded/unloaded the same round multiple times to see if it progressively got shorter after the first loading (it did not). The Speer website does not list what the OA length or minimum is supposed to be for the GD 125G (or at least I never found it). For the 357Sig round itself the max OA length spec is listed as 1.140", but clearly bullet shape plays a factor here.

Based off the measurements I:
1. Stopped unloading the firearm, left it alone unless shooting it.
2. If I did have to unload it, if no setback, cycle into the magazine.
3. If setback around 1.120 (S GD 125G), toss in the range bag.
3. For my CCW and HD load a fresh one in the chamber.

I figured I would have shot that round that came out, so that made it ok for range bag. I also thought the OEM engineers had to figure some of this into their specs. I do not reload and non of this was scientific pressure measuring - just what I am comfortable with.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
we carried the P226 in 357SIG and the guys who downloaded theri guns always had one or two rounds that showed setback...

we confiscated them and took the round apart with a collet die and poured out the powder and discharged the empty case and discarded it.

setback will increase the pressure...much higher than the gun is made to handle..

Is it worth your hand and a fine gun like the sig to save a buck for a new round?

My answer is no. Shitcan the bullet with setback. I avoided loading-unloading by storing my duty gun in the holster or placing it in a gunvault microvault or my big safe w/o unloading it.

Now that I'm retired I use a G19 and rarely unload it. at home it lays next to me at night on a table and I put it on when I get dressed.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
a low pressure round like .45 acp

What other “low pressure” rounds are there that someone would be using in a defensive pistol?
And are guns chambered for 45 ACP designed to take the extra pressure caused by bullet setback if that’s a big concern? Wink

.38 special comes to mind.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hmm …, I thought we were discussing the possibility of pressure spikes due to bullet setback, and I did ask about pistols*. Perhaps I should be paying more attention to my 38 Special ammunition to ensure that I’m not shoving the bullets into the cases when loading my revolvers. But now I’m really concerned about doing that with 357 Magnum rounds. I mean, all my revolver ammunition is loaded with heavily crimped-in bullets, and I believe it would take a lot of effort to do that, but now that you mention it …. Frown

That’s the great value of the Internet: Always giving us something new to worry about no matter how much we think we know.

Wink

* I fully realize that it wasn’t uncommon for shooters of yesteryear to refer to revolvers as “pistols,” but it’s rare these days and wasn’t what I had in mind when I used the term. I’m not too sure how many people currently rely on original version S&W model 52s chambered for 38 Special for defensive purposes, but they don’t have to worry about bullet setback if they’re using the flush-seated full wadcutter loads the gun was developed to use.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Hmm …, I thought we were discussing the possibility of pressure spikes due to bullet setback, and I did ask about pistols*. Perhaps I should be paying more attention to my 38 Special ammunition to ensure that I’m not shoving the bullets into the cases when loading my revolvers. But now I’m really concerned about doing that with 357 Magnum rounds. I mean, all my revolver ammunition is loaded with heavily crimped-in bullets, and I believe it would take a lot of effort to do that, but now that you mention it …. Frown

That’s the great value of the Internet: Always giving us something new to worry about no matter how much we think we know.

Wink

* I fully realize that it wasn’t uncommon for shooters of yesteryear to refer to revolvers as “pistols,” but it’s rare these days and wasn’t what I had in mind when I used the term. I’m not too sure how many people currently rely on original version S&W model 52s chambered for 38 Special for defensive purposes, but they don’t have to worry about bullet setback if they’re using the flush-seated full wadcutter loads the gun was developed to use.

There where issues with bullet setback a while back when blazer aluminum decided to make .357 and .38 spcl rounds with aluminum cases. A revolver is a pistol.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
There where issues with bullet setback a while back when blazer aluminum decided to make .357 and .38 spcl rounds with aluminum cases.

When shooters were loading the cartridges into the cylinders? Big Grin
I doubt that any knowledgeable shooter would claim such a thing, so I’m curious what mechanism would cause the bullets of revolver cartridges to be pushed into their cases, even if seated relatively loosely. I try to follow such things and never heard of such a phenomenon in all my years.

What can happen with certain revolver cartridges and lightweight revolvers is that the heavy recoil can cause the bullets to back out of the cases and prevent the cylinders from rotating. Backing out is not the same as bullet setback even though the two terms share the “back” word.

And just to clarify my use of another word, by “setback” I’m referring to something that happens in the gun during the loading cycle, not during the manufacturing or handloading process when bullets are seated deeper than they should be. The latter is of course possible with any round.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
There where issues with bullet setback a while back when blazer aluminum decided to make .357 and .38 spcl rounds with aluminum cases.

When shooters were loading the cartridges into the cylinders? Big Grin

Coonan .357 possibly, or Henry rifles?

You would think that properly crimping into a cannelure would mitigate that though.

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GP229:
Coonan .357 possibly?

Possibly, but now we are straying pretty far afield, especially as I do not believe a knowledgeable person would characterize the 357 S&W Magnum as a “low pressure” cartridge. Plus, the 38 Special was what was mentioned at the start of this diversion. Furthermore, in my experience with the 38 Special and 357 Magnum, they are less susceptible to setback due to the loading process because heavy roll crimping the bullets into the case is more common than in autoloading pistol cartridges. The two revolver cartridges headspace on the case rim and roll crimping doesn’t create the problems that it can in pistol cartridges that headspace on the case mouth.

And to reiterate, my original comment that was intended to limit the discussion about low pressure referred to pistol cartridges. The Coonan qualifies if it is possible to reliably shoot 38 Special ammunition with it, but not a Henry rifle.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Lucky to be Irish
posted Hide Post
quote:

I always re-chamber the same round, but I always check it before doing so. This time after returning home from sea and inspecting my chamber round, I found that it had pretty noticeable setback. So I cycled the round out and essentially put it aside.

Also, is my practice of chambering the same round each time a recommended one? I do it because it helps me keep track of which ones might have setback or dings. What do you guys do?

I leave the chambered round in the pistol when I go to the range, and just fire it as the first round of practice.

I generally shoot my carry gun every week, so I use about four rounds a month. I end up buying new defensive ammo every 5-6 months.

I leave the range with the a chambered practice round, clean the pistol and then chamber a new defensive round.

Posts: 1770 | Location: Mason, OH | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post