Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger sp101 Login/Join 
Just mobilize it
posted
So after buying a few autoloaders recently I kind of find myself gravitating back to wanting a wheelgun. I have a few though I had a Smith 19 that I sold a while back and now I don't currently own a 357 magnum. I was eyeing the Ruger match champion and I really like the grips and overall feel, though then after holding the 3" sp101, I like the more compact feel I think of a smaller frame. Plus it's about $200 less. I also like the 3" barrel as it seems like it would do fine for informal target shooting while being easier to pack. What say you guys who own a sp101? I know everyone loves the GP100, but how's it's little brother stack up?

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife loves her SP101(.38 special). It is a tank and can handle punishment for sure. Ruger might not make the most sexy looking revolvers,(although there are a couple),but they will outlast most on the market today. I do like the button on the side to expel the cylinder. I think that was a great idea on Ruger's part.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
I love them. Learned to shoot on a 2 inch model with 38 specials.

now I carry an LCR to avoid weight but that little tank of a gun was incredible.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
If you were eyeing the Match Champion, then you might consider the 4.2 inch SP101 with adjustable sights.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Built like little tanks, they're great wheel guns. I have both a 3" as well as a 2 1/4 DAO variant. Even with 5 rounds, you almost never feel undergunned with a 357 Magnum. They carry well in a good IWB holster too.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CQB60,

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
I have a 4" GP100 and 2" SP101 and love both of them. As CQB60 said, they are tanks and handle the recoil of full magnum loads well.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Completely agree with previous posters! One would last you two lifetimes with reasonable care. They are heavier and clunkier than the S&W M-60 in .357 - but much more strongly built. The weight is a real downside if you're going to pocket carry - ditto for the M60 in .357 ... They are relatively straight-forward to upgrade to Big Dot tritium front; that said, someone else did the work on the one I have with a Big Dot. Speedloaders are the same for both SP-101 and M-60. There is no downside to the 101, except for weight and maybe DA-pull, in my opinion. Waiting on funny money to put a Big Dot on this one ...

Posts: 419 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I neglected to mention, you can improve the action by simply replacing the factory 14lb mainspring nicely with a Wolff reduced power MS of your preference, 11 or 12lbs Wink

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
The SP101 is a fine revolver. I plan to keep my 3" .327 for a long time.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Thanks so far for the replies and eye candy. I thought I heard some info about cylinder issues on the 3" model about 6-12 months ago. Hopefully that's resolved if it was even a real issue.

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
My 327

I enjoy it.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
If you were eyeing the Match Champion, then you might consider the 4.2 inch SP101 with adjustable sights.

Thats a good looking revolver

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the SP101 so much, that I have 2 of 'em. Both .357, both hammerless, and both 2 1/4".

You can't beat this little powerhouse of a gun.

Posts: 141 | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a stainless GP100 3 inch 357, that is a great gun. Handles hot rounds very easily, but as others have also reported it is heavy. I joke "That if you ran out of ammo - just throw the empty gun at the "perp's head" - that will surely stop them!"

I also have a stainless SP101 2.25 inch 9mm, and recently replaced the tigger spring with a lighter Wolff Spring, made a world of difference! Like the GP100, the SP101 is not a lite-weight, but I have carried it with no issues with an IWB rig.

Both are great guns, require very little maintenance, and will outlast anything I can put them through - definitely a gun to pass along to the "next generation" in the family.

Posts: 143 | Location: NoVA | Registered: August 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
I have a 2 1/4 .357. I changed out the trigger spring to a lighter Wolff spring and a tritium front site. Did it myself, easy. Will not ever sell but can only carry in heavier clothes. A good tank of a revolver.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
If you don't mind doing some light gunsmith work, buy this front sight: xs sight

The stock sights aren't very good and this is a big improvement.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
I sold my SP101 357 and picked up a GP100 in it's place. Everyone has their preferences, but the 357 was not fun to shoot in the SP101.
When I ran across another SP101 3", chambered in 38sp I bought it. That little gun is great for me. It's balance and weight feels just right for the 38sp cartridge. Range days are a blast with the SP101 and the GP100, a pair of my favorite revolvers. Both of these will outlast me.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1351 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the 2.25" version. the trigger got better after some use and dry firing.

I love that gun for backpacking and when Im out fishing and hiking around. I keep it loaded with 180g hardcast ammo, awesome gun, Ill never get rid of it.

The only complaint I have is that I wish I got the 3" version.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Most small-frame revolvers, especially lightweight ones, are easy to carry but difficult and sometimes unpleasant to actually shoot. The SP101 is for shooting.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post