SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P365 comparsion-sound and force of striker release
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P365 comparsion-sound and force of striker release Login/Join 
Smarter than the
average bear
posted
I have two examples of the P365. My first one was made March 22, and I have approximately 200 rounds through it, with no noticeable problems. I say that because I only took it out one day, in May, and it was before I had heard about the potential issues. I shot it a fair amount, and I let a handful of other people shoot it, and we were all impressed. It shot great, I was very impressed with how easy it was to shoot well with that size pistol, and I don't remember any issues.
But I wasn't looking at my brass for primer swipes, etc. I can't swear I didn't have a failure to lock back, or something of that nature, but I just wasn't looking that hard. I certainly didn't have any feeding issues or failure to eject, as I would remember that.

I bought another one, and it was made on June 18. I haven't shot it yet, but I've done a good bit of dry firing, as I did with the first, to help break in the trigger. I've noticed that this later build makes a different sound when dry fired. More of a muted "doonk" than a clear "click" that the earlier build makes. The earlier build sounds pretty much like most guns, certainly most strikers, when dry fired. Not a super sharp "click", but more a "click" than a noticeably muted "doonk".

So noticing the sound difference, I put a pencil down the barrel, and with the barrel pointed up, the pencil jumps about an inch when the striker is released. Here is the interesting part-when I do that same 'test' with the older one, the pencil barely moves. And I had absolutely no issues with ignition when firing that gun.

I have not broken these down to look at the strikers, but I sort of assumed (I know) that the March build has the original striker and the June build might have the new striker, based on the sound difference. But I don't understand the pencil movement. I would have thought that the new striker design would result in less striker tip coming out of the striker channel, to reduce the primer drag and the risk of breaking.

I know I'm guessing at the striker differences until I actually take them apart, but I am wondering if any P365 owners has noticed a different sound with dry fire, or if any would try the pencil test and report the results. Does anyone have any explanation for the more muted sound?

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Maybe the striker travel on the older one is being impeded by some sort of residue in the striker channel?

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Maybe the striker travel on the older one is being impeded by some sort of residue in the striker channel?

But the older one is the one that I shot with no problems, and it sounds “normal” when dry fired. I would think that the striker doesn’t have to travel very far to ignite the primer, and that maybe over-travel could contribute to the primer drag and broken striker tips that have been reported. If you’ve seen photos of the redesigned striker it looks like it could not over-travel because of the shape of the tip. Maybe they increased the spring strength to compensate?

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
My 3/31 P365 has been fine so far. I also have minimal, maybe 1/4”, movement with pencil test. I have not had any malfunctions and am somewhere around 1k.

Posts: 4521 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
honestlou - I picked up my 365 last Friday. I have dry-fired it a few times and it has the muted sound (compared to my G43). Taking it to the range this week but plan to run only 50-rd or so thru it - I've got others to shoot too. The LGS put their stock number sticker over the born-on date - and I destroyed that part of the sticker trying to get it off. The SN on mine is 66A0662XX - I was wondering if you could compare that to the SN on your June 18th example?

Posts: 426 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:

But the older one is the one that I shot with no problems, and it sounds “normal” when dry fired. I would think that the striker doesn’t have to travel very far to ignite the primer, and that maybe over-travel could contribute to the primer drag and broken striker tips that have been reported. If you’ve seen photos of the redesigned striker it looks like it could not over-travel because of the shape of the tip. Maybe they increased the spring strength to compensate?

It looks to me as if the redesign of the P365 striker was intended to diffuse the "stress riser" that resulted where the narrow striker tip met the cylindrical striker body. But this new "ramped" striker tip design might well result in less protrusion of the striker tip.

If so, might not the striker redesign be responsible for all of the light primer strikes that now seem to be reported? The phenomenon of unintended consequences?

Posts: 372 | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeoJelly:
The LGS put their stock number sticker over the born-on date - and I destroyed that part of the sticker trying to get it off. The SN on mine is 66A0662XX - I was wondering if you could compare that to the SN on your June 18th example?
My S/N is 66A0679XX with a born on date of 6/20/18. At the rate they're cranking them out, yours was probably built a few days before mine.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1308 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeoJelly:
honestlou - I picked up my 365 last Friday. I have dry-fired it a few times and it has the muted sound (compared to my G43). Taking it to the range this week but plan to run only 50-rd or so thru it - I've got others to shoot too. The LGS put their stock number sticker over the born-on date - and I destroyed that part of the sticker trying to get it off. The SN on mine is 66A0662XX - I was wondering if you could compare that to the SN on your June 18th example?

My June 18 S/N is 66A066349, so pretty darn close to yours.

Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
I have two. The first was built in mid Feb, the second was a June 17 build and has the updated striker.

I tried swapping the strikers between the pistols and everything worked fine. The older striker would send a pencil a few inches above the muzzle, the newer striker would send it a little more than a foot above the muzzle. The results I observed were based on the striker. Each striker performed the same despite being switched between the different slides.

I did not see any marks on the newer striker, after having used it in the older slide, to indicate there were any differences on the interior dimensions of the older slide.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The newer designed striker is suppose to have a corresponding chamfer inside the slide

Posts: 7 | Registered: January 16, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gqllc007:
The newer designed striker is suppose to have a corresponding chamfer inside the slide

My 365 went back to Sig for an extraction issue, and they replaced my old-style striker with the new one while it was there. The work order did not list machining the slide as one of the things that was performed. I also think the striker bottoms out on the leg that extends down from the striker through the slide, not on the striker shoulder.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gqllc007:
Based on what information? I do not believe that is the case. I've heard of ONE person who said his slide was machined or perhaps only reamed when sent in for repair, and for all we know the slide may have been out of spec. There may have been others, but I DO NOT believe that it has been ascertained that it was a major change affecting all slides.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6211 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
I have two examples of the P365. My first one was made March 22, and I have approximately 200 rounds through it, with no noticeable problems. I say that because I only took it out one day, in May, and it was before I had heard about the potential issues. I shot it a fair amount, and I let a handful of other people shoot it, and we were all impressed. It shot great, I was very impressed with how easy it was to shoot well with that size pistol, and I don't remember any issues.
But I wasn't looking at my brass for primer swipes, etc. I can't swear I didn't have a failure to lock back, or something of that nature, but I just wasn't looking that hard. I certainly didn't have any feeding issues or failure to eject, as I would remember that.

I bought another one, and it was made on June 18. I haven't shot it yet, but I've done a good bit of dry firing, as I did with the first, to help break in the trigger. I've noticed that this later build makes a different sound when dry fired. More of a muted "doonk" than a clear "click" that the earlier build makes. The earlier build sounds pretty much like most guns, certainly most strikers, when dry fired. Not a super sharp "click", but more a "click" than a noticeably muted "doonk".

So noticing the sound difference, I put a pencil down the barrel, and with the barrel pointed up, the pencil jumps about an inch when the striker is released. Here is the interesting part-when I do that same 'test' with the older one, the pencil barely moves. And I had absolutely no issues with ignition when firing that gun.

I have not broken these down to look at the strikers, but I sort of assumed (I know) that the March build has the original striker and the June build might have the new striker, based on the sound difference. But I don't understand the pencil movement. I would have thought that the new striker design would result in less striker tip coming out of the striker channel, to reduce the primer drag and the risk of breaking.

I know I'm guessing at the striker differences until I actually take them apart, but I am wondering if any P365 owners has noticed a different sound with dry fire, or if any would try the pencil test and report the results. Does anyone have any explanation for the more muted sound?

I have 365's from March and July, exactly the same observations. So far, both are functioning perfectly.

NRA Patron Member, Instructor and CRSO
NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Posts: 1838 | Registered: April 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just got my P365 on June 10, 2019. I haven’t fired it yet, but the first time I dry-fired it I thought it sounded like a striker was hitting something rubber. Nothing at all like any of my other striker-fired pistols. I’m glad to hear that’s the new normal.

Posts: 1 | Registered: November 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How do you tell if you have upgraded parts?

Posts: 1871 | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m glad this thread popped up. I’ve been wondering the same thing about a newly acquired P365. Won’t get it to the range until Monday, so glad it is a non-issue.

Posts: 759 | Location: Athol, ID | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post