SIGforum
touch up stag grips?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/6240075874

January 12, 2021, 09:10 AM
copaup
touch up stag grips?
Question for anyone knowledgable about such things. I've got a set of smooth stag grips for a 1911 that have a couple of minor scuffs on one panel. It doesn't go into the stag, it just looks like the clear finish (polyurethane?) has rubbed off. One large hole in my knowledge base is anything to do with refinishing stag. Can I just touch up the damaged spots and blend it? If not, is there something I can do to strip the remaining finish and start over? It's cosmetic, but it's pretty noticeable and irritates the crap out of me. I'd ask the maker, but he's retired and moved out of the country.
January 12, 2021, 02:31 PM
GT-40DOC
I own two pairs of smooth stag grips that I had made, and neither pair is "coated" with any clear coating. I got a scuff on one grip, and just used a polishing compound to remove it. Sorry that I can't be more help.

You could contact people that still produce stag grips and ask them......they will more than likely help you out.
January 12, 2021, 06:56 PM
copaup
It's now a moot point. I'm not really sure what the finish was. Alcohol didn't seem to touch it, but acetone took it right off. Looks better without the mottled semi gloss look
January 13, 2021, 04:04 PM
GT-40DOC
Glad you found a solution that you are happy with.