SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Best beginner pistol?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best beginner pistol? Login/Join 
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Start with something in .22. If you can't shoot a .22 then you don't stand a chance with anything more powerful.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Lots of good advice here, including the suggestion you flee Illinois.
If your heart is set on a Sig:
P250 Compact or full size.
SP2022
Both in 9mm. Both can be found at less cost than other Sig models.
Welcome aboard.

Since I've seen a couple more recommends for the poor man's p226. I'll just say that GB used to have pages and pages of sp2022s for sale. Not so much any more. If you are considering the sig pro, this is the one (or similar) you should get (GB 754165334). there aren't many Germans out there these days.

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSentry:

Since I've seen a couple more recommends for the poor man's p226. I'll just say that GB used to have pages and pages of sp2022s for sale. Not so much any more. If you are considering the sig pro, this is the one (or similar) you should get (GB 754165334). there aren't many Germans out there these days.

My Dad has one of those, great gun for the money. Very high quality. I think these were contract guns with the LCI and the smooth finish, but I don't remember the full story.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You will buy a Glock.

Buy several. They're cheap.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my personal experience, YMMV, don't waste the money on a .22. I have never been able to shoot one well, except the Ruger MK, which is a bear to clean, and a new one ain't cheap, neither

I don't know who these guys are that flinch when they shoot 9MM, but since you were a professional wrench turner your wrists are adequate to start off with a real gun, and forget about the .22.

The best beginner pistol is the one that speaks to you. Like your soul mate, you will know her when you see her. The Sig P226 in 9MM is a very good choice. A standard by which everything else should be judged. Mine is a used LE turn in, and was under $500. Today, you may have to settle for a P226 or P229 in .40, but I'll bet you don't flinch....

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2180 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pistolnoob2018:
Thanks. Would something in 9mm or .45ACP be ok for a beginner? Or is that "out of my league"?

I would rent a .22 at the range and shoot a few hundred rounds to get acquainted with how a pistol shoots, the trigger etc.

Before renting, ask to hold as many as you can and see which one fits your hand best. Then I would rent a 9mm and .45 acp SIG,then rent as many in the caliber you like, both could be fine for a beginner. But, each person is different, some feel comfortable with .45 and some feel comfortable with 9mm. Also each pistol feels different. I'd also take a look at a CZ 75B 9mm.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Glock
S&W M&P
Springfield XD
Sig 226/229
CZ 75 variant

In whatever order you prefer.

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve 22X:
quote:
Originally posted by pistolnoob2018:
I am in IL. Chicago suburbs. Unfortunately, my area is EXTREMELY anti 2A, with LOADS of firearm restrictions. No AR type rifles for me (illegal in my suburb Frown ).

Not sure if I can shoot yet, as I just applied for my FOID card. Per the state police website, it could be as long as 3-4 months before I get it Frown .

Try going to Mega-Sports in Plainfield.
Free introductory course (no live fire though).
Plenty of options for range rentals.
I would estimate the number of new handguns on display to be over a thousand.

Went there often when I lived in IL.
They were a very small shop in a dumpy strip mall across the street from their current location.
I was shocked upon going there with my father-in-law a couple years ago at how they had grown.

I am actually serously considrering Maxon in Des Plaines.

Posts: 8 | Registered: March 08, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
S&W model 10 or model 15.

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
Wish you lived close by as I have a couple you could try. I would go to a good size gun shop and check out how different models feel. Whatever feels good to you start looking for a used one. Personally I would go with 9mm. Good Luck and Thanks for you service. Once you decide put an ad in this forum.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glock 19 is a good beginner pistol.

Posts: 7 | Registered: March 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KyCoo:
Glock 19 is a good beginner pistol.

+1

Glock or one of the other striker fired pistols out there such as the p320. Same trigger pull every time. I wouldn't recommend a da/sa gun for someones 1st.

Posts: 2750 | Registered: March 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
where are you located? most indoor ranges have rentals you can try out and find what you like best.

there are also many many informative vids on youtube that can help educate...

check out vids by MAC, Hickock45, MrGunsandGear to learn about specific guns.

Are you looking for a 'fullsize gun? A concealed carry gun?

Since you have some firearms training already I would generally recommend a 9mm semi auto - there are a TON of options to choose from.

Beretta, Sig, Smith and Wesson, Glock, HK, FN, Walther, Springfield Armory all make guns that you might like. Just gotta educate yourself a bit and try a few.

Very important - find one that fits your hand well. Ergonomically - there are some differences between the manufacturers that you may find significant.

One thing I would add also - learn about the differences in the trigger systems - the difference between Single Action, DA/SA, striker fired, etc. Once you decide you like one operating system the best - that will help narrow down the gun selection.

Have fun - good luck - keep us posted!

-----------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
But, don't all military personnel at least get some range time / training? Obviously, I have no ideas.
Anyway, shooting rentals at your local range will be the way to go, plus taking a beginner course. Don't get too hung up on SIG. There are tons of great guns out there that cost less.

Granted my time was before the"global war on terror", but I spent 6 years between the infantry and a forward observer attached to the infantry... I never touched a pistol.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am very partial to Sigs, and I suggest that if you visit a well stocked dealer, that has a firing range and handguns to rent to help you in making your selection and ammo on site to purchase, go that direction. My favorite Sig (although I have many) I purchased USED; an all stainless 9mm police
trade-in P226S. It cost considerably less than buying new, and replacement parts will be available for years-to-come should you need them. Good luck in your search & welcome to the forum. This is the
best place to look for advice on selection of handguns. You will, in time, be able to identify
which members really know this topic.

Posts: 248 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: November 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael J. Shannon:
I am very partial to Sigs, and I suggest that if you visit a well stocked dealer, that has a firing range and handguns to rent to help you in making your selection and ammo on site to purchase, go that direction. My favorite Sig (although I have many) I purchased USED; an all stainless 9mm police
trade-in P226S. It cost considerably less than buying new, and replacement parts will be available for years-to-come should you need them. Good luck in your search & welcome to the forum. This is the
best place to look for advice on selection of handguns. You will, in time, be able to identify
which members really know this topic.

I doubt that I'm the one who would consider an older used Sig P226 or similar to be a Better firearm period than some of the newer SIGs.......

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was in the Army, it was more common to get trigger time on a M203 than a pistol.

My first Sig was a P220 in the late 1980s. I like the full size Sigs in 9mm. The weight of the pistol helps manage recoil for new shooters. You can pick up used 226s or 229s for decent money and end up with a great handgun.

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1.) Used Glock 19 and plenty of ammo. 2.) Learn about proper grip, trigger technique, sight picture, breathing, etc...Live instructors are best. 3.) Lots of range time with slow deliberate shooting at 5-7yrd targets. For new shooters, you can go through a couple 100 rds. before you get used to the feel, sound, flinch, etc. 4.) Lots of slow deliberate dry fire (unloaded of course...and one of the reasons I like Glocks). Good luck and welcome!

-Miller

Posts: 379 | Location: Shenandoah Valley - VA | Registered: February 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty amazed, although I probably shouldn't be, at the lack of pistol training in the military.

Even as a Navy puke going through boot camp in the early 80's, everyone shot 2 mags through a 1911. You really didn't have to hit anything mind you, it was more to make sure you knew which end of the gun the boolits came out. That was it, a 1911 and no rifle whatsoever.

Once I got to the ship I ended up qualifying on everything in the armory because most everyone in combat systems was assigned to shipboard security. We still qualified on 1911's while underway and did familiarization firing of 870's, M14's and later M16's. Never did qualify on a M9 because our ship never had them, and I got out in 1989. Well after they were adopted. I shot M9's at separate security training schools, but never carried one on-board for watches.

If I was making pistol recommendations now, much as I hate to admit it, I'd recommend a striker fired 9mm, chose your flavor. I love SIG's, but it's just plain easier to learn on and shoot well with Glock's and such(I know, I know, P320, and that's fine). I love my SIG's, but lets face it, You will buy a Glock Wink

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did not read any of the posts but as a person that has taight many people to shoot buy a full size 22 pistol. I recommend the Ruker MK seris, Ruge 22/45 seris or browning buckmark. Stay away from the super small 22 pistols like the walther ppk size. They are not good to learn with. When you have a good feel for the basics then look at getting a bigger caliber. Ammo is chaper and a 22 has very little recoil so you can see and feel what you are doing. I still like shooting 22 the best.

Posts: 198 | Registered: May 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post