This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/6230058834

March 09, 2018, 11:48 PM
pistolnoob2018
Best beginner pistol?
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
I’ll say what most others have said...

Try before you buy. Ranges in my area have rental guns and usually have a deal where for a flat rate, you can try everything they have so long as you are buying their ammo.

What area are you in? Lots of folks from everywhere on this board and many are looking for an excuse to go shoot and willing to help a newb.

As much as I love my Sigs (P226 Legion, P229ST blessed by Bruce himself, and a bushel of P320s), given the recent price drops I would definitely recommend taking a look at HK VP9 and P30 guns.

It’s a good time to get hooked, guns are CHEAP right now, so is ammo and it is plentiful...

I am in IL. Chicago suburbs. Unfortunately, my area is EXTREMELY anti 2A, with LOADS of firearm restrictions. No AR type rifles for me (illegal in my suburb Frown ).

Not sure if I can shoot yet, as I just applied for my FOID card. Per the state police website, it could be as long as 3-4 months before I get it Frown .
March 10, 2018, 12:09 AM
djpaintles
Best advice possible is to move away from the Anti-Gun HELL-Hole known as Chicago!!!

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................
March 10, 2018, 04:17 AM
sigarmsp226
And PistolNoob2018 - Thank you Sir for your service and welcome to the SIGForum Family....Mark
March 10, 2018, 05:43 AM
Excam_Man
I recommend the 22 first route, as getting rid of a flinching problem is hard to do.

March 10, 2018, 06:28 AM
45_Auto
As sigarmsp226 has said....
Welcome to the Forum, and thank you for your service.

Many members have given some good advice here, and I strongly support any new pistol shooter take a basic introduction course that familiarizes you with different types of pistols, and some live fire.
Good luck in your endeavor.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A Veteran is someone who wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'Up to and including their life'.
That is Honor. Unfortunately there are way too many people in this Country who no longer understand that.
March 10, 2018, 07:12 AM
SIG 229R
The Sig P225 or Beretta 92fs are both good 9mm pistols with the only differences being that the P225 is a little shorter and lighter than the 92fs and single stack where the 92 is double stack. I qualified for my CCP with the 92f. I later bought the P6 which is the German counter to the US P225. They are both fine pistols.

I would though recommend like others, go to a range that rents and has a good instructor and try several to find out which one fits your hand and style best.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"
March 10, 2018, 07:40 AM
.38supersig
Mostly it will be what feels good to you as you shoot with it. Trying different ones at a range is best.

A friend of mine swears by his Beretta, I have no idea why. He tells me that if my Glock is so darn good, why am I changing the parts all the time?

Sounds like you are thinking about a P226 in 9mm. You wouldn't be going wrong with that one. Don't limit yourself to certain brands or where it is made. If you can fix a helicopter, a pistol should be a piece of cake.

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service.

March 10, 2018, 07:48 AM
Tommydogg
Thank you for your service. As someone else stated, a SP2022 is the entrance pistol. I always take mine when I take someone to the range who has never shot. Things certainly have changed. In the Navy, every recruit had to shoot a pistol and rifle when I was in. On the ships I was on, all hands had to qualify once a year. Welcome aboard!

Beth Greene
March 10, 2018, 08:01 AM
PASig
If you were really set on a SIG, I would highly recommend the 9mm SIG Pro SP2022. It shoots great, has an amazingly good trigger, a real sleeper.

If you wanted to go non-SIG, I’d highly recommend a Glock 19 or 17.

March 10, 2018, 08:24 AM
pedropcola
If you are determined to get a Sig I would get one that is compatible with a 22 conversion kit. I actually disagree with the Ruger MK guys because I think getting a 22 with a completely dissimilar manual of arms is counterproductive. This means you can get a 226/229 and conversion kits are readily available. The 2022 is a great gun but no conversion kits that I am aware of.

If you expand outside of Sig your choices are endless, and perhaps better.
March 10, 2018, 08:52 AM
lcbjr77
Like many others have said go and rent some guns. One of the first guns I ever shot was a CZ 75...it was big and heavy but was a tack driver... I loved it so much the second gun I ever purchased was the CZ P-01, one of my favorites.

----------------------------------
Walther PPS M2

March 10, 2018, 10:04 AM
quote:
Originally posted by SIG 229R:
The Sig P225 or Beretta 92fs are both good 9mm pistols with the only differences being that the P225 is a little shorter and lighter than the 92fs and single stack where the 92 is double stack. I qualified for my CCP with the 92f. I later bought the P6 which is the German counter to the US P225. They are both fine pistols.

I would though recommend like others, go to a range that rents and has a good instructor and try several to find out which one fits your hand and style best.

The P6 is the German designation for their police pistol, and it is the counter to the German civilian P225. There is no "US P225". The P225-A1, which is US made, is a fine gun on its own, but it is P225 in name only, as its specs are completely alien to the real P225. Wink

Q

March 10, 2018, 10:07 AM
Steve 22X
quote:
Originally posted by pistolnoob2018:
I am in IL. Chicago suburbs. Unfortunately, my area is EXTREMELY anti 2A, with LOADS of firearm restrictions. No AR type rifles for me (illegal in my suburb Frown ).

Not sure if I can shoot yet, as I just applied for my FOID card. Per the state police website, it could be as long as 3-4 months before I get it Frown .

Try going to Mega-Sports in Plainfield.
Free introductory course (no live fire though).
Plenty of options for range rentals.
I would estimate the number of new handguns on display to be over a thousand.

Went there often when I lived in IL.
They were a very small shop in a dumpy strip mall across the street from their current location.
I was shocked upon going there with my father-in-law a couple years ago at how they had grown.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward
March 10, 2018, 10:41 AM
jljones
quote:
Hello. New member here. Brand new to pistol use (fired the M-16 during military service, so I know a little about those type of rifles).

What is the best SIG pistol for a beginner? Never fired a pistol before. Complete noob to pistol shooting. Any help for this beginner is appreciated. Thanks.

PS- looking for something that isn't "off the charts" expensive.

Any of the major players in striker fired. Pick one, and you'll not go wrong. Take the time to seek out a credible, local firearms instructor, and get some instruction.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

March 10, 2018, 10:44 AM
jljones
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Hello. New member here. Brand new to pistol use (fired the M-16 during military service, so I know a little about those type of rifles).

What is the best SIG pistol for a beginner? Never fired a pistol before. Complete noob to pistol shooting. Any help for this beginner is appreciated. Thanks.

You never handled or fired a pistol during your military career? Eek

That was not uncommon when I was in during the late 90s. I’d say a solid 50% of Marines never touched a M9. It was probably even higher than 50%. Since GWOT it may have changed but back in the day (a Tuesday) pistol training was uncommon.

Pistol qual was not a part of normal, non-infantry training. Every Marine qualifies on the M16 but the M9 was only for Staff NCOs and for certain jobs.

Dude, I would say during that during the late '80s it was probably a 65-70 percent. We fan fired the Beretta at MCRD because it was new and they wanted to see something or other (which was a fluke I'm sure), and I never touched a pistol again until the NCO academy. You shot for pizza box or above and drove on. I never touched a pistol again the rest of my career after that.

I have no idea what it is like today.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

March 10, 2018, 10:59 AM
kent j
I always start noobies with a P22. The manual of arms is very similar to most centerfire pistols you will encounter. The shape of the pistol is also very similar. This starts them out with the same pistol handling characteristics as used with most centerfire pistols.

Regards, Kent j

You can learn something from everyone you meet, If nothing else you can learn you don't want to be like them
It's only racist to those who want it to be.
It's a magazine, clips are for potato chips and hair
March 10, 2018, 11:07 AM
soggy_spinout
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:

Any of the major players in striker fired. Pick one, and you'll not go wrong. Take the time to seek out a credible, local firearms instructor, and get some instruction.

What he said. Simpler manual of arms, only one trigger pull to concentrate on and master. Plus, arguably much more reliable, IF the right striker is chosen. 9mm to start, then dabble in larger calibers if so inclined later on as your skills develop.

That said, starting with a 22LR handgun is sound advice as well. Little to no recoil to fret over and contend with, allowing the beginner to concentrate on developing the base skills (trigger control, sighting, etc.) needed to be a competent if not highly skilled handgun shooter with future handguns chambered in more powerful calibers. And much cheaper to operate with regards to ammo. The M&P22 or M&P22 Compact do a good job of mimicking their centerfire counterparts and the skills and experience gained there translate pretty well to not only centerfire M&Ps but also to other brands of larger bore semi-autos.
March 10, 2018, 11:10 AM
YooperSigs
Lots of good advice here, including the suggestion you flee Illinois.
If your heart is set on a Sig:
P250 Compact or full size.
SP2022
Both in 9mm. Both can be found at less cost than other Sig models.
Welcome aboard.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
March 10, 2018, 01:04 PM
cas
My answer depends on where you will shoot. If you have a place where you can plink, shoot reactive targets, tin cans, metal spinners, etc etc, buy a .22

If you're limited to a paper range, a .22 is still good to learn on, but will get boring quicker. (unless true precision target shooting interests you). I always recommended .38 special revolvers, but these days 9mm's cheaper to feed.

quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

But, don't all military personnel at least get some range time / training?

I worked with a guy who was also aircraft maintenance in the Air Force in the late 70's - 80's, told me he fired a rifle one time and one time dry firing and that was it.(???)

March 10, 2018, 01:37 PM
mr kablammo
Go with a classic, P226 or P226 SAO. If you plan on owning only one or two pistols don't waste money on a 'learner' gun. Go for a good one straight up.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.