SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ruger American Pistol
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger American Pistol Login/Join 
posted
When the Ruger American pistol came out I bought one. Never fired it. I am curious, has anyone found any negative thoughts, or experiences with this pistol? Do I put it back into the safe or try it out.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found it to be noticeably heavier than other pistols of the same size. The upside is it managed recoil well. The grips were smallish for my large hands and not very grippy. The trigger is rather mushy/spongy with a fairly long reset.

All in all, my thought was I wouldn't spend more for the RAP than I did for the RAR, and I got the rifle for $300.

First 15 rounds at 7 yards:

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buddy, I put Talon rubber grips on mine. Feels much better!

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
The RAP is not meant to be safe queen. Shoot it and then you can decide if it's worth the trouble of keeping.

I preferred shooting the compact over the full size gun. For me the smaller frame balances better and nestles into my hand with more authority. If at some point I was going to get one, it would be the compact for me. However the longish trigger travel doesn't really appeal to me in any role besides being a range toy, and I already have way too many of those that do that job better.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Shot my buddies .45 and seemed like a nice pistol. A bit of heft yes but felt quality, more so then the SR or P series.

Trigger on his was good.
Accuracy was.....who am I kidding I should never be the one to talk about accuracy but in the hands of folks who know how to shoot it did great. Smile. Seriously it was plenty accurate.
Reliability was 100% with ball and HP.

All in all seemed like a really nice pistol but in a sea of nice pistols.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7668 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
I own a Ruger American pistol in 45 in some ways it reminds me of my Ruger P90 45 in that they both are not to good looking compared to say a P220 or 1911. I kind of overlook this when I shoot them. They both shoot good with reliability and both seem to be built like tanks. When you field strip a RAP it is obvious they are built stout to shoot many rounds. So far I only have about 400 rounds through my RAP 45.

The full size RAP have some weight to them for a Polymer pistol this can be a good thing for felt recoil in a range / truck 45 gun but perhaps less desirable in a CCP for that I give the nod to a Glock 30S.

If I were to buy another RAP I would buy the compact 9mm. They were not out when I bought my RAP 45. I have a weakness for 45s. Hence me buying my RAP in the 45.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jelly,

Posts: 2678 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So what everyone is saying it's a bit heavy but mitigated the recoil and is accurate. Sounds like a keeper. Thanks guys.

Officers lives matter!

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArLEOret:
So what everyone is saying it's a bit heavy but mitigated the recoil and is accurate. Sounds like a keeper. Thanks guys.

So, back in the safe it goes. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26317 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post