SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P229 Barrel Length?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P229 Barrel Length? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
Confused, I am. I see P229s listed with barrel lengths of 3.75", 3.9" and 4". And, in looking at pictures, it does look like some P229s are shorter than others. Or is that an optical illusion based on the angle at which the photos were taken?

To add to my confusion: One advert I'm looking at says 'barrel is 3-3/4"' in one spot, but lists it as a 4" barrel elsewhere.

Conversely: I often see P229 barrels for a given caliber listed with no length mentioned, which implies to me they're all the same.

So: Are there different length P229s, or are they all the same?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
Absolutly there are different barrel lengths

However, most of what you are seeing are probably typos or folks rounding off numbers.

The standard P229 that has been with us for more than two decades now has a 3.9" barrel(with or without the rail)

There is also a factory 4.2" barrel listed on the SIG website for the standard P229. This is to comply with Canadian law about minimum barrel length. Typically these are not sold in America

There was also the P229 Sport which used a 4.8" barrel which was threaded for the single expansion port compensator

Then there is the shorty . . . The P229 Carry which has a 3.5" barrel. These were announced a few years back, but I do not think they have been that popular. The P229c has the slide/barrel shortened back to the end of the dust cover on the old, non-railed frame.

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, colt_saa.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Actually, it's 3.89 inches. Folks just round it up to 3.9. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Actually, it's 3.89 inches. Folks just round it up to 3.9. Big Grin

I've seen the 4" callout a few times as well. Around here and a few other states as well that phantom .1" or .11" can get you into a lot of trouble if you chose to use that P229 for hunting or to finish off a wounded game animal.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by colt_saa:

...There is also a factory 4.2" barrel listed on the SIG website for the standard P229. This is to comply with Canadian law about minimum barrel length. Typically these are not sold in America...

Does this mean that the Canadian barrels are sold with modified or proprietary slides? Or just stick out a little? Don't think I have ever seen one.

P229 AE 41XXX

Posts: 294 | Location: NJ | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 72Bruins:
quote:
Originally posted by colt_saa:

...There is also a factory 4.2" barrel listed on the SIG website for the standard P229. This is to comply with Canadian law about minimum barrel length. Typically these are not sold in America...

Does this mean that the Canadian barrels are sold with modified or proprietary slides? Or just stick out a little? Don't think I have ever seen one.

It just sticks out beyond the standard slide a little, just like a threaded bbl.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post