SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    I think I have "The Yips"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I think I have "The Yips" Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
Last few trips to the pistol range I have SUCKED. I mean I have never claimed to be a "gun fighter" or any kind of kick ass marksman but I am generally passable.

Lately it seems I have lost touch with the basics. Not sure if it's stress, my jacked up rotator cuff, age or just overthinking.

Just wanted to complain.

I guess that is why the good lord blessed us with Number 4 buckshot. Smile

Sigh, I just felt like bitching and moaning.

Yeah, yeah I know Ranger on.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It happens. I've had bad range times also. I generally just stop because I start over thinking.
What I have done is set up a target at about 3 yards. I really focus on trying to get all the shots into one ragged hole. Not a whole box of ammunition, maybe a few magazines. I then back the target up to about 5 yards and try to do the same thing. It sounds kinda dumb but it has worked for me.
Don't worry about 15 yards and further. Concentrate on front sight focus and trigger pull.
Physical injuries could very well play a role also and if your shoulder is really bothering you, an extended rest from shooting might be the answer.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
Dry fire practice. Get some muscle memory developed with a clean trigger break. Don't go back to live ammo until you can consistently get a good trigger break with no front sight movement. Get your brain trained again.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
Dry fire practice.

Bingo.

Ongoing dry fire practice. As in 10 dry fires for every 1 live round. And when live fire isn't working, dry fire some more. Then look in the mirror -- that's the only nut that will determine whether live fire will work or not.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Last few trips to the pistol range I have SUCKED. I mean I have never claimed to be a "gun fighter" or any kind of kick ass marksman but I am generally passable.

Lately it seems I have lost touch with the basics. Not sure if it's stress, my jacked up rotator cuff, age or just overthinking.

Just wanted to complain.

I guess that is why the good lord blessed us with Number 4 buckshot. Smile

Sigh, I just felt like bitching and moaning.

Yeah, yeah I know Ranger on.

This happens to me sometimes when returning to the range after an extended period of time.

My P320C is my first striker fired gun and have learned that it takes a bit more effort to stay accurate.

USS Carl Vinson (CVN-70) Bremerton WA.
Sig P938/238 Equinox
Sig P320C RX
Colt Mustang XSP FE

Posts: 50 | Location: Southeast NH | Registered: March 02, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
If there was only a place that was exactly two hours north of you that could help you through this issue. Razz

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Color me obtuse but what's 2 hours North? Knob Creek is up there?

I thought opspectraining was south??

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CSlinger, sounds like you just suck now. Time to come to grips with it. Maybe start carrying a 2-shot derringer in your vest pocket and only pull the trigger when you feel your target against the end of the barrel?

Does SIG make a melted TacOps derringer?

And besides... What else would we expect from a Miata driver? Big Grin

I've found the solution is to just quit shooting for a month or six weeks. When I come back it's like the blip never happened.

Posts: 165 | Registered: October 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Hey, hey, hey.

1-I always sucked......I just suck more lately.

2-I don't have a Miata anymore and even if I did I don't need to measure my manliness by the car I drive.......that's what all the guns and ammo is for and if you have a problem with that, I'll hit you with my purs....errr man bag. Wink

3-besides I had an NC, which I loved, but as we all know is the red headed step Miata that all you purists discount anyway. Big Grin

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
I thought opspectraining was south??

Nope, two hours north. My range is exactly two hours from BNA up 24.
I'm seriously thinking about running a one day Advanced Pistol Marksmanship class in late August, early Sept. Might fit the bill of what you need as a tune up. And I'm thinking about running it at a discounted rate of what we normally do.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey, hey, hey.

2-I don't have a Miata anymore and even if I did I don't need to measure my manliness by the car I drive.......that's what all the guns and ammo is for and if you have a problem with that, I'll hit you with my purs....errr man bag. Wink

3-besides I had an NC, which I loved, but as we all know is the red headed step Miata that all you purists discount anyway. Big Grin

Brother--you just need a coach for about ten minutes. An instructor will nail 98 percent of your issue in ten minutes or less if you are still physically capable.

It's nice to have someone that can see what you can't. Even experienced and super great shooters benefit from watching and advising each other. Constructive criticism is a good thing.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey, hey, hey.

2-I don't have a Miata anymore and even if I did I don't need to measure my manliness by the car I drive.......that's what all the guns and ammo is for and if you have a problem with that, I'll hit you with my purs....errr man bag.

If Jerry offers that class you may want to take him up on the offer, especially since you are that close. I drove about 3 hours to attend their Practical Fundamentals class two weeks ago in Ohio. Fantastic class, Jerry, Doug and Michael really helped me a lot. They corrected issues with my grip, as well as providing invaluable instruction in trigger control, sight picture, presentation of the weapon toward the target, and other tips. Made a huge difference in a short two-day period, and provided a training regiment going forward to improve. As already mentioned, it really helps to have a coach to point out the things we don't always see.

Dry-fire practice is essential for me to maintain skills between range visits, which can only happen every other week or so with my schedule. The key is consistency, as well as not beating yourself up if you have an off-day.

Posts: 312 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Can identify to a degree, my deficiency is my eyesight. Need the lowest power reading glasses to get a sharp sight picture at the sacrifice. of distance

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good luck working through this, and a big wave from another nc driver Smile

Posts: 6 | Registered: October 23, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
"The Yips"

Have you ever tried Ball and Dummy Drills? For some folks it is much more effective that dry fire.

Posts: 9 | Registered: January 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I have done said drill, although much more with revolvers. I have had a roughish year and my shoulder arm is killing me. So I am guessing there are a bunch of factors at play mental and physical as I am usually a passable shot with most firearms but a master of none because I don't devote myself to one. I am trying to transition back to DA/SA and have been doing fine up until recently.

That being said I really could use some professional training and may very well look into Opspec, although I am not up to advanced anything.

I am still young (relatively speaking) Smile so that shouldn't be my issue. Right now it really is "the yips" kind of a mental block it seems.

I have been lacking on my dryfire though and I have been working on a more aggressive thumbs forward grip which is newer to me as the wrist cocked down isn't yet natural to me.

I will say that my rotator cuff has made itself known more with my .40s/.45s and I have been working more with my .40 P2000s and they are what are giving me some fits.

Ohhh and I suck. Smile.

Thanks all,
Chris.

Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
cslinger, drop back to .38 wad cutters, or even .22s. This does sound like the yips. The still-sore rotator cuff doesn't help. go back to your favorite small-caliber gun. Take heart, there were some fairly long, unexplained periods in my life when I couldnt hit a bull in the ass with a banjo. Sometimes, it took remedial training, sometimes it went away on its' own.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post