SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Picked up new Zastava M57 surplus gun...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picked up new Zastava M57 surplus gun... Login/Join 
Picture of gunguru123
posted
... and it took a lot of cleaning, using mineral spirits to get that cosmoline off. Pain in the ass but got her done.

Actually, not to many parts but a pain for a guy like me. I do like the erog's and the rigger; The sights leave a lot to be desired but noting some paint won't fix. It has a decent tirgger, with a short take up and reset. I look forward to some range time. The blued finish is sexy IMO, I love the look.

I've got 500 rounds of 85 and 86gr FMJ ready to go. I here it can reach 1600ft/sec...not slow at it seems for a handgun.

Then of course, next to some of my other surplus handgun...
threeoldies by Jon Marlar, on Flickr

Sig P220 Elite Dark, W. German 220/226 Navy/226 Tac Ops/226R Stainless/228/229 Legion/229R/M11-A1D

Glocks, HK, Walther, XDs, etc, etc...

Posts: 1043 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I'll be the first to ask:

The hinged pivot piece on the trigger.

I have 2 M 57's, both with the frame mounted add on safety. Took some tweeking to get the safeties 100%, then I shortened the firing pins.

Hardest thing to remove is the magazine release.

Check out Marschals grips for the Zastava's!

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Mine shoots way low. At 15 yards on a human shaped target I aim at the neck to hit the center of chest. Can't explain it.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1553 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by abnmacv:
Mine shoots way low. At 15 yards on a human shaped target I aim at the neck to hit the center of chest. Can't explain it.

Both of mine shoot low also. Perhaps they are sighted for 100 yards?

Still curious about the trigger design in the OP's photo.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This new M57 has a Glock-style trigger safety.
That allowed them to be imported without the terrible add-on thumb safety. Assuming the trigger safety functions properly this is an improvement that looks more authentic than the ugly thumb safeties.
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:

I have 2 M 57's, both with the frame mounted add on safety. Took some tweeking to get the safeties 100%, then I shortened the firing pins.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fundman:
This new M57 has a Glock-style trigger safety.
That allowed them to be imported without the terrible add-on thumb safety. Assuming the trigger safety functions properly this is an improvement that looks more authentic than the ugly thumb safeties.
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:

Thank you for the explanation. Even with this newer style safety, I still wonder if any type of firing pin block safety was added to the slide.

The slide mounted safety on the newer M57A/M70 Zastava's act as this firing pin block in case of an accidental droppage, older M57's with the thumb safeties (like I own), have no firing pin block, hence , they are prone to discharge if dropped.

美しい犬

posted Hide Post
The M57s with the trigger safety that Classic Arms is now selling are old surplus Yugoslav production. The previous version with slide mounted safety was new production. My guess is they were able to add the firing pin safety to those new guns but retrofitting old models might be too much work considering the price they are selling for.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fundman:
The M57s with the trigger safety that Classic Arms is now selling are old surplus Yugoslav production. The previous version with slide mounted safety was new production. My guess is they were able to add the firing pin safety to those new guns but retrofitting old models might be too much work considering the price they are selling for.

Once again , thank you for clarifying.

美しい犬

Picture of gunguru123
posted Hide Post
This gun is for range use, for fun, not for carry. I just don't think I'd trust it with a round in the chamber.

Sig P220 Elite Dark, W. German 220/226 Navy/226 Tac Ops/226R Stainless/228/229 Legion/229R/M11-A1D

Glocks, HK, Walther, XDs, etc, etc...

Posts: 1043 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post