SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The PVD and DLC coatings...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The PVD and DLC coatings... Login/Join 
7.62mm Crusader
posted
I visited a Kentucky branch of the company who coats the Sig Sauer slides and barrels. They have 2 other branches in the US and their Pennsylvania branch does the coating for Sig. Richter Precision from Germany. I am told there are only 3 companies in the US who apply these coatings. Hans Richter is the inventor. Or at least the company owner. I was told the new type of PVD coating did not stick well, widely known. The company went back to a older coating and all is good. I saw 2 Glock barrels and a 700 Remington rifle bolt waiting to have some type of coating applied at the Kentucky facility for a friend of its Manager. Thought I would pass on my little discovery.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
I visited a Kentucky branch of the company who coats the Sig Sauer slides and barrels. They have 2 other branches in the US and their Pennsylvania branch does the coating for Sig. Richter Precision from Germany. I am told there are only 3 companies in the US who apply these coatings. Hans Richter is the inventor. Or at least the company owner. I was told the new type of PVD coating did not stick well, widely known. The company went back to a older coating and all is good. I saw 2 Glock barrels and a 700 Remington rifle bolt waiting to have some type of coating applied at the Kentucky facility for a friend of its Manager. Thought I would pass on my little discovery.

Thanks, David.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
The Kentucky plant seems to coat a lot of cutters, carbide end mills, trim blades of some type, substraights and form dies. Titanium nitride mostly. I went to see them about work. I really have no interest in this kind of work. The on line reviews describe it as boring and low pay. Nice people but I need to actually be doing things with my mind and hands.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The finish on my legions hasn't peeled or flaked, but it wears very easily, showing metal underneath. It's less durable than the finish on any other firearm I own. It's an attractive finish, until it gets used once.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
The finish on my legions hasn't peeled or flaked, but it wears very easily, showing metal underneath. It's less durable than the finish on any other firearm I own. It's an attractive finish, until it gets used once.

Yeah the finish on the legions to me is a downgrade from a standard Sig Nitron. I have seen new legions in the case that look like they have 2000 rounds through them from being handled by customer. Unless these guns are being dropped 10 times a day there is no reason they should look like that.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The new finish on the Gen 5 Glocks are some sort of DLC. How are they holding up?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post