SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig Sauer P226R
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig Sauer P226R Login/Join 
posted
Hello all I need of sum information I just bought a P226R DAK, I would like to check out the firing pin but I don't know how to take it out all the pics say take the pin out on the side of slide but I can't there's a pin on top of the slide it's very small and I wonder if that's the pin I take out, could use advice.

Posts: 7 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: January 11, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Why in the world would you want to do that? I may be out of line here but the best way I've found to check a firing pin on a gun is to Shoot it. In the mean time the better way to do it at home is to drop a pencil down the barrel and pull the trigger.
(make sure the gun is unloaded first, DUH)

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks but no thanks I'm sending it back to Sig for a full check up and a new spring & firing pin

Posts: 7 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: January 11, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I take it you bought the pistol as a used gun or police trade-in? What draws your attention to the pin and spring?

IIRC, most of the springs on Classic series Sigs are supposed to be replaced around the 5000 round count mark. Also, if you weren't aware, Sig does offer a service package that includes new night sights and small parts replacement for a very good price. May be called the "ssp" or something similar. Many here swear by it.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK maybe you are sending it to SIG so it really doesn't matter. But to remove the firing pin the pin in the side of the slide has to come out. How difficult that is varies both depending on which generation of pin it is (there are 3) and your luck. I have no idea what you are talking about in a pin on the top of the slide?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished
posted Hide Post
If you see a pin on the top of the slide to take the slide apart you'll need to follow the procedure outlined in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_maO2Qy2AI&t=435s

Having said that, unless the pistol has had 20,000 rounds or more through it there is probably very little need to examine or replace the firing pin unless you're getting failures to fire that can't be explained by some other cause.

Posts: 4078 | Location: NC | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post