SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock G22 Breech Face and Slide: Is This Normal?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock G22 Breech Face and Slide: Is This Normal? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
A couple more Glock questions, if I may?

Got the G22 all cleaned up (funny how the trigger's nicer than I recall) and I'm wondering if these things are normal?

First of all: The breech face. This pistol has seen very light use, all run-of-the-mill factory ammo, and cleaned pretty religiously. So I don't see how anything I did, or did not do, could be responsible for it. Just less-than-wonderful machining?

From opposite angle:

Next: Either side of the slide, opposite each other, just forward of halfway along the ejection port, top edge of the rails:

Close-ups of each:

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I can't comment on the breech face but the peening on the underneath of the slide is common on two pin Glocks, especially 40's. It seems to get to a certain point and stop. One of the reasons Glock changed to the three pin frame. I have it in my Gen 2 G17 but it is very minor. It seems like the two pin locking block would rotate up slightly causing the edges to hit the underside of the slide.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Not normal, not in my experience. I can't recall ever seeing a Glock breechface that rough.

Posts: 107511 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Every gen 2 gun I ever owned looked EXACTLY like that. Over ten of them. They may have changed the metallurgy on later guns, but that looks normal to me and not too much of a concern.

The dent on the slide is called slide peening, and it stops after a certain point, and again, is not a problem.

If it looks like this, then you have a problem.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As others have said ,the peening is normal for the two pin 40. The breech metal surface finish is not. Being a machinist my whole life the breechface machined surface looks like shoddy workmanship to me. I would say if you asked them (Glock)and sent them these Pics, they would probably get you a new slide. Now does it affect function or accuracy,I don't think it would.

Posts: 388 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback, gents. I knew I could count on y'all Smile

Biggy, since the breech face, while not optimal, is not abnormal, either, I'm inclined to leave it be.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chewbackup
posted Hide Post
I have two gen 2s that look like that, I would not be concerned.

I love my wife, kids, dogs, Sigs, and Glocks, knives--In no particular order!

Posts: 690 | Location: Illinois | Registered: August 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On the rough breech face. This is not only normal, but intentional and by design. A smooth breech face is more prone to case sticking during ejection. This is how it was explained in Glock's Armorers course years ago.

Posts: 267 | Location: Ohio | Registered: March 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chewbackup:

Oh, I wasn't concerned, so much as curious.

quote:
Originally posted by Jim E:
On the rough breech face. This is not only normal, but intentional and by design. A smooth breech face is more prone to case sticking during ejection. This is how it was explained in Glock's Armorers course years ago.

I guess I could buy that explanation if the roughness appeared to have any symmetry or consistency to it. As it is: I'm more inclined to suspect somebody needed to change-out a tool head a bit more quickly Wink

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
My gen2 G19 looks just like that. Tooling marks and all.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Non toxic or green ammo will eat away at the breech face. Don't know if this is what you used or maybe it's a PD trade in (some PDs use non toxic ammo exclusively for training).

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never seen a breech-face that rough on any of the many Glocks or many other pistols that *I* have owned through the years.

Posts: 388 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10round:
Non toxic or green ammo will eat away at the breech face. Don't know if this is what you used...

Nope. Just run-of-the-mill, off-the-shelf stuff. WWB, BB, stuff like that. Cor-bon and Gold Dot for SD rounds. Other than the first box of fifty, which ISTR was some aluminium-cased stuff from the gun store/range. Probably Blazer.

quote:
Originally posted by 10round:
... or maybe it's a PD trade in (some PDs use non toxic ammo exclusively for training).

Nope. I'm the original owner.

Well, original-ish. Guy'd bought it and a box of ammo. Took it into the range. Came back out and traded it in for something else. So I'm the "original owner" less about fifty rounds.

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by chewbackup:

Oh, I wasn't concerned, so much as curious.

quote:
Originally posted by Jim E:

I guess I could buy that explanation if the roughness appeared to have any symmetry or consistency to it. As it is: I'm more inclined to suspect somebody needed to change-out a tool head a bit more quickly Wink

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

Exactly! It and the angles around it are cut with a 3 foot long broach. Its' teeth are progressively larger at its' farthest end from the cut. Looks like they run the damn thing until it nearly breaks. Dull broach. It should not be acceptable to have the surface this rough. No head space issues but still crap finish.

Its' extractor is a powerful part. Just look at the seat it's worn into the breech face.

The posted photo above of a breech face with what appears to be a island is nothing I have ever seen.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Glock 22 breach face looks just like that. It has never been a problem.

The gouges on the bottom of the slide is common, mine has many thousands of rounds and after the initial wear, it hasn't gotten any worse.

It was my duty weapon when I worked armored car and as a Special Peace Officer. It's still my most used every day carry pistol, with my Glock 17, Glock 27, SIG P220, SIG P6 and HK P7 PSP being rotated in.

My Glock 22 has been fairly accurate and boringly reliable.

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
MAGA
Picture of D_Steve
posted Hide Post
Most likely the breech face was broached and something was amiss with the broach bar and / or process.
If the slide breech face machining is "with in" specification dimension wise. It's just a visual issue.

a little more detail on terms

"Let's Go Brandon"

Posts: 1537 | Location: Indiana | Registered: July 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The breech face looks a little rough, but they were all kinda rough from that period. The dents in the slide you've shown pics of are called "peening" and were particular to the .40 caliber pistols of the time. The slide bounced off the locking block a bit. The dents are "normal" (not "right" but "normal") for your .40 caliber pistol and are not an issue. I took a small file to mine after about 500 rounds to knock off the sharp edges, and the dents haven't increased since.

Posts: 872 | Registered: October 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think the peening on the bottom of the slide is exclusive to agen 2 G22s. Our department's Gen 3 G22s did the same thing with the peening. Normal stuff and will stop at a certain point. Glock won't replace unless the slide cracks.

Posts: 4043 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
It is not limited to Glocks, I have seen other pistols with that roughness.

But am wondering how many gun owners have polished the marks out, changing dimensions of the slides?

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P6shooter
posted Hide Post
I've owned several Glocks that have had breech faces just like that. It was indeed normal for a while.

Posts: 820 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: May 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post